• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • I phone 4/5
  • simmy
    Free Member

My ageing 3GS is going to have to be given to a museum as its way behind times so I’m looking to just get a I Phone 4 or 5 handset, either unlocked or on O2.

I’m not looking for a contract as I’m only paying £10 per month as I don’t use it much as I’ve no Friends to ring so I just want to buy the Handset.

Anyone bought one recently either Refurbed or Old Stock or something. Bit wary of E Bay and I’m not sure what price these Handsets are going for at the moment.

Thanks.

choppersquad
    Free Member

IPhone 4s £199 in carphone warehouse on a sim free deal.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My 4 is starting to struggle.

Wouldnt think its long before its heading the way of the 3gs….that said i ditched my 3gs for being shit and slow about 3 years ago to be fair.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

4 is stuck on iOS 7.1.2. iOS 8.3 is current and 9 is on the way. As t_r says, the 4 is close to obsolete. Maybe not an issue if your use is minimal, but getting a version of the 5 will give you up-to-date functionality and you may even find that you get more out of a handset if it sings and dances. The basic 5 is actually quite cheap – around £150 with warranty, the 5c not much more.

woodster

I got a 5S refurb recently. Always found the S handsets seem to offer the best value/longevity.

o2

Bought an o2 refresh £34/month contract (separated as £10 for device and £24 for airtime with £9.99 upfront). Paid off the device as soon as i got it and cancelled the airtime plan giving me a warrantied 5S which was just like new for £250.

Came unlocked and working perfectly with my chopped down 3 sim.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

just for reference to the op, I just sold my excellent 5 for £195 posted and was a 32GB version.

Personally I would go for the 5 as it comes with panoramic camera and some nice touches plus the 4 will be obsolete soon with software updates whent he 6s or 7 releases late July/Sept.

hope this helps you a bit in your decision 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Between the two – take the 5.
    Everything is faster and better.
    I still have my 64gb 5 running as a back up alongside my 6.
    In a lifeproof case it’s great for gps and tunes on the bike.
    I went so far as to mod the bracket/arm band as an “out front” for the road bike.
    Works better than the computer/gps I had before and I get the tunes too.
    As soon as the new mount for the 6 comes it’ll be in the classifieds.

curvature
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my wife’s 5 to a 6 so that is up for sale. Been in a case all its life with a screen protector.

Also about to upgrade my 5s so again will be available if you are interested.

£150 for the 5 and £225 for the 5s

Wally

Curvature, about to walk into shop to buy a 5c for daughter……. Ygm

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think you can get much nicer phones for that money!

The 6 is a much nicer phone to use than the 5

jambalaya
    Free Member

A 4 is too old IMO, I use my old 4s as a backup and it’s really showing its age. Also 4S suffered from faulty wifi chips, mine has one If you have the budget for the 5 get that for sure.

mav12
    Free Member

groupon have refurb. iphone 5 for 205

kcal

if you’re looking at a 4S e.g. – get second hand – not worth getting new I’d say.

I have a s/h 4S and its adequate for what I need but might need/want to upgrade soon. Soon is an elastic term though – may be a year yet – still would possibly get a 5 for portability rather than even bigger 6..

takisawa2

£13.50 a month for a new 4S. I know, you said no contract though.

Have a 6 for work, & my own HTC OneX+ that’s 2 yrs old.
    I prefer the HTC.
    The 6 is big step forward over the older iPhones.

CountZero

A 5 FTW. The 4/4S is a great phone, really tough, but, and this is key, it’s pretty old by modern consumer devices standards, especially phones. Tech positively gallops these days, and a 4 would be a disappointment.
    A 5S would be even betterer though, if you can get a good deal.
    Or find one second-hand.

nickc

Echo all the comments. Most apps aren’t optimised for i4 any more. Even a (partly) useful St John’s First Aid App wouldn’t load on my 4S.

Having said that, if you’re not bothered about all that stuff, and just need say; phone, text, access to the net, mail, music…then it’s fairly robust, meagre in it’s battery use and pretty tough.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘I phone 4/5’ is closed to new replies.