Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I pad won't charge up….
  • ricky1
    Free Member

…expensive fix?
    just wondering iff it’s worth a trip to the local computer shop or a shorter trip to the wheelie bin,will not charge up basically,shows an empty battery when I plug the charger in but no life,tried all the cleaning duties,anyone have any info,thank you in advance?

vorlich
    Free Member

Tried a new cable? The lightning connectors are pretty pants TBH.

trail_rat
    Free Member

a simple test would be – borrow a different charger and cable.

i had an old iphone charger plug that just could not get a start into an ipad or phone…. i think the charger was broken if im honest but it would charge up a partially charged unit.

failing that – what model ipad is it ?

njee20
    Free Member

Tried a new cable? The lightning connectors are pretty pants TBH.

This.

Wysiwyg of this parish seems very adept at fixing iProducts, so suspect even if it the unit it’s worth more than the bin.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My missus has the older type cable but 2 chargers have failed in the few years we have had it. iPad still fine. Fortunately we both have their bloody phones as well so it was easy to test.

wors

This happened to mine, tried new cable etc to no avail.

Bought in from PC World and after much to-ing and fro-ing I managed to get it replaced at there cost as it was out of warranty, quoting the sales of goods act, took ages to sort though.

Happened to a mates, but he was trying to charge with his iphone charger, which has a different amp rating apparently.

Milkie
    Free Member

Stick a vacuum cleaner over the plug socket on your iPad, I’ve known the fluff to stop iPhones charging.

ricky1
    Free Member

It’s an I pad 1,the charger works on other apple products in the house,but no I don’t have any other cables,I’ll try that first,will probably try a new (not fake) apple charger,thanks.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Before you bin it, might be worth a trip to an Apple store. They’ve helped me out on what I thought has been knackered equipment in the past.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Happened to a mates, but he was trying to charge with his iphone charger, which has a different amp rating apparently.”

should/does still charge your ipad – just slower.

just as the ipad charger charges iphone quicker 😀

vorlich
    Free Member

FWIW, the old style connectors I never had any issues using cheap knockoffs, but I’ve never had much success with cheapo lightning connectors.

metcalt

Another vote here for trying to clear out the charger socket.

I had a similar issue with my iPhone, a bit of digging with the sim card tool removed a surprising amount of fluff and solved the issue.

the-muffin-man

I had a similar issue with my iPhone, a bit of digging with the sim card tool removed a surprising amount of fluff and solved the issue.

I was just about to say the same!

The fluff was so compacted it looked ‘normal’ inside the charging port, but pushed the cable out just enough that it didn’t make a connection.

I used the end of a paper-clip.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Maybe try connecting it to your computer and to itunes? had an issue with mine yeserday. It drained empty so I put it on charge. Got the usual red battery empty image so just assumed it was charging and would charge up as normal and would turn itself on once it had got enough power. But nothing. Left it for two hours, still nothing. I tried a different charger, still nothing. I tried various things including holding down power button, taking it off charge for a while, holding down power and menu button but nothing so I just left it charging hoping it would just miraculously spring into life.

Then Suddenly my ipad said connect to itunes. So turned on my mac connected it and itunes said it needed to do a complete reset on my ipad, which it did and thankfully it’s back up and running.

njee20
    Free Member

a bit of digging with the sim card tool removed a surprising amount of fluff and solved the issue.

A wonderfully satisfying activity too!

IA

just as the ipad charger charges iphone quicker

Actually, unless you’ve got a 6 or 6 plus, it doesn’t (compared to the 1A standard apple charger).

A USB port or generic charger (usually) is 0.5A.

An apple iPhone charger is 1A (the max anything up to a 5S will charge at)

An ipad charger is 2.1A, and the iPhones 6 will charge at that rate, any older ones will charge at 1A.

ricky1
    Free Member

The charger I use for this I pad is a samsung plug port with an apple lead,bit of a mash up but it works,I’ll hit the apple shop in the new year iff all else fails.

jota180
    Free Member

You haven’t left it leaning against a kitchen counter by any chance have you?

CountZero

As it’s an iPad 1, it’ll have a 32-pin connector, NOT a Lightning connector. It could easily be fluff packed into the socket, especially at the ends, stopping the connection being made properly. I’ve used a fairly hefty darning needle to hook the compacted crap out of my old phones and iPods.
    Which is rather satisfying… 😳
    Just a thought, it’s pretty old now, it could be the battery has just died on its ass, they have a limited run of charge cycles, so it might be worth looking at a new battery from wysiwyg.
    Alternatively the lure of a super fast shiny iPad Air or new regular iPad might be irresistible… 😉

donks
    Free Member

We’ve had this on ours, took it to the store and they did a shop reset which got it going again but the battery is about done and will need to be changed which apple don’t do.

We get about 2hours max on a full charge now and it’s pretty much permanently on charge. Reckon I might get the local phone fixing fella on our work estate to swap it out, got to be cheaper than 250 quid for an apple replacement.

ricky1
    Free Member

Stepdaughter had to have it plugged in constantly so I reckon it’s fresh battery time,I’ll try and find someone to fix it,apart from that it’s in really good nick so might sell it on.
    Jota 180 that’s another thread pal

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Two likely options are either the dock connector or the battery.
    It should run when plugged into the mains. So likely the dock. PITA job. But quite doable.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I pad won't charge up….’ is closed to new replies.