Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • I only need a 28mm socket!!!
  • paulevans
    Free Member

How hard does it have to be to buy a 28mm socket or spanner? I only want to undo the top nut on my forks so that I can add a little oil to change the spring rate. Without having to resort to eBay, anyone know of somewhere in / around Windermere or Kendal?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Tried halfords? usually have a good range of single sockets / spanners and their tools are really pretty good

nickjb
    Free Member

Big adjustable spanner from halfords/b&q/any tool shop

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Musgroves in Windermere or Middletons in Kendal. Both are ‘old school’ hardware shops that will probably be able to sort you out.

ThePinkster

Big adjustible from B&Q should do the job.

porter_jamie

adjustable for undoing the top nut on your forks! animal. buy a decent 6 point socket and machine the chamfer off so you have maximum engagement on the nut.

swampi
    Free Member

Cromwell tools sell them,or they did when I bought mine

mrbotticelli

Had a similar problem last year and ended up buying this Hex Box Spanner for about £6 which made servicing forks so much easier than with a normal/adjustable spanner.

HTH

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, Halfords will sell you a single socket in that size (I have one) – Ideal if you already have a 3/4″ ratchet driver. (If not, why not?!)

sbob
    Free Member

I bought a whole socket set for that very purpose, is that not the Singletrack way?

Superficial
    Free Member

I bought a whole socket set for that very purpose, is that not the Singletrack way?

Did it cost more than the price of a fork service? 😀

TiRed

Any decent tool supplier should be able to supply a single ring spanner> I bought a 32mm ring spanner, known as the “persuader” to remove freewheels as I wanted something that fitted snugly over the tool and was longer than an adjustable spanner for leverage.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

As above, socket with the base radius ground off to give a proper square edge and full engagement on the shallow fork top nut.

jimc101
    Free Member

2nd for Cromwell, fair amount of choice here 1/2″ all the way

chives
    Free Member

More or less same size as 1 1/8th” – perhaps that would be easier to find. 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

As above, socket with the base radius ground off to give a proper square edge and full engagement on the shallow fork top nut.

Yeah, that would be helpful, but not essential – at least for my Revs. It sometimes slips but is perfectly useable.

oldnick

+1 for getting rid of the chamfer from the socket.

It’s very easy, nut and bolt through the socket to act as an arbor, spin it in a battery drill against a bench grinder wheel and you have the proper tool 🙂

orangeboy
    Free Member

I’m all for bigger is better but 3/4 drive for a fork top cap

As above halfords are normal good for single sockets

trail_rat
    Free Member

What difference does it make if its 3/4 or 1/2 …. 1/2 torque wrenches are muxh more common 🙂

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

ISTR an old spark plug socket I had did the top cap on my Fox forks.

Wozza
    Free Member

I don’t know if you’re sorted but I have one of these in central Kendal if you want to borrow it?

36mm Park Adj Spanner

Drop us a line on email, i’m in most of the day on Sunday.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Look on ebay there is a seller that sells machined down 28mm beta sockets for thi very job.. If you use a spanner etc and round off the hex it’s a pita and looks terrible

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Forx-BETA-6-sided-flat-Socket-for-32-34-36-40-Forks-/161148789170?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item25853761b2

trail_rat
    Free Member

Amaizing folk think its the right tool if its painted blue. Its bike specific it must be right .

An adjustable spanner is not the right tool for anyjob.

granny_ring

£20 for a socket 😯

Wozza
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    Amaizing folk think its the right tool if its painted blue. Its bike specific it must be right .

An adjustable spanner is not the right tool for anyjob.

Oh i’m sorry your majesty, I’ll fix my shit while you carry around a tool cab full of snap on for every eventuality.

I’m going to use it as a hammer today, I hope that makes your piss boil. 😆

I was just trying to help the man out.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Cheaper at mojo
    http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Tools-1.html

I just use an aj though

Superficial
    Free Member

He’s right though. Hammers are sometimes the right tool for a job. An adjustable is never the optimal tool – it’s a passable substitute for some jobs but not this one…

njee20
    Free Member

Of course it’s acceptable. Not ideal, but if you’re not a hamfisted oaf it won’t leave a mark.

Agree they’re never the perfect tool, but that’s not why they exist.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Yeah, Halfords will sell you a single socket in that size (I have one) – Ideal if you already have a 3/4″ ratchet driver. (If not, why not?!)

and IIRC theyre the best part of a tenner which is irksome when entire sets are £20. Got one from local Halfords FYI. Used an adjustable spanner once when I had no choice and I winced throughout, too much mechanical sympathy!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

£20 for a socket!!! Nope £20 for the right socket. Or you could wreck the very shallow hex on the damper cartridge on your fork then have to spend more trying to sort it out.
    There’s a reason people use decent tools, it’s because they do a decent job.

Or use an adjustable and make a mess:-)

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

When I was an apprentice if we were caught using a adjustable you were given a 10 count to start running then it was thrown at you as hard as possible!! There a right tool for every job so use it 👿

LoCo
    Free Member

We can supply you a machined 6 sided 28mm socket for £10 plus postage 😉
    and for anyone who suggested it DO NOT use adjustable spanners on forks, it makes a horrible mess of them 😆

granny_ring

Sorry but £20 for one socket is just stupid even if it is machined as LoCo has proved…..

granny_ring

Sorry but £20 for one socket is just stupid even if it is machined as LoCo has proved….wouldn’t use an adjustable for that job either.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘I only need a 28mm socket!!!’ is closed to new replies.