Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I now understand the uppy-downy 'need'
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

During my 4th ride this year I turned off the red route – ‘the chase’ – and shot down a black section….in a desperate move to pull the front end up and plant the rear wheel (well back over rear wheel) the seat very firmly impacted with my nuggets…not so much of a direct impact I might add, but a sustained forceful ‘lift’ 😯

The pain told me it was bad, yet there was a degree of pervere pleasure…am I perverted? 🙁 😳 😛

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m interested (in uppy/downy posts, not your impact area) but don’t they all fail/wobble/leak/break?

nmdbase
    Free Member

Yes they do, that’s why I’m still deprived of one. I thought the Reverb would be OK but nooooo

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really don’t understand how they can be so poor when it seems realively easy to make a good fork.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Despite their similarities, they’re not really the same as a fork though. The diameters of the tubes are significantly smaller than for forks which must cause issues. Individual fork legs don’t have to be prevented from rotating as the bracing prevents it and this also adds to the stiffness of the overall package.

FWIW, my Reverb has been spot on since before Christmas.

timmys

My i900 has now been going two years now with no issues, no servicing and minimal cleaning. YMMV.

thepurist

@matthew_h – aren’t you forgetting the Lefty. OK, so it’s a bigger diameter but it effectively solves the other problems you mention. Costs a blummin packet though.

lipseal
    Free Member

I went and bought a gravity dropper after badly bruising my undercarriage in April, ripe plumb colour. 😉 I would advise getting one with a remote as it’s less faff, plus they are easily serviceabled.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I’ve got a Joplin and so far no problems mine has literally no play in it at all either. Love it.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The purist, yeah, but your comments about price and diameter answer your own question really.

lipseal
    Free Member

Did I mention the swelling, I was mighty impressive 😉

deviant
    Free Member

I would like to get on of these but like somebody else said, why does it seem to be so hard for the manufacturers to make them reliable?….office chairs have had the up/down function for years, why cant that mechanism be used on a seatpost, seems to be more reliable than a lot of the offerings people post to moan about.

D0NK

edit some of us have understood the need for quite a lot of years now 😉

thered

I bought a second hand Joplin 3 cos my Reverb has taken soooooooooo long, ordered in April, came this month, decided to wait for the new ‘un.

Anyhoo the Joplin has tons of horizontal play but makes descents so much better. It’s ace on really technical and/or steep stuff, just drop the saddle and concentrate on the riding rather than avoiding going over the bars

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

DONK +1

avdave2

Bring back the Hite Rite.

cookeaa

Very pleased with my HiLo thus far, had it a couple of months and it’s not missed a beat. I still wouldn’t say that anyone “Needs” one but they do make life a little more enjoyable and reduce the trailside faffage with the whole Raise/Lower/Adjust for any interesting bits.

The Hite-Rite was a great idea, well ahead of its time and underappreciated, however that was a fair old while ago and time and available technologies have moved on…

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Loads of input, I have zero knowledge (about a great deal it would seem these days) about dropping seat posts…bit concerned about the limited life-span(s)…considering price.

what would guys/gal say would be the best bang for buck?

Cheers.

PS: My tubes are fine now 😀

handyman
    Free Member

Rode my first ride with my rockshox reverb mon eve, it was just a few loops around my local woods but it does make the tech stuff and downhill cornering really fast and fun, looking forward to taking to a nearby rocky tech ride where it is going be great, and yes it will need repairing/ bleeding etc, but so do forks its just the time in between servicing is shorter on a seatpost as its smaller dia and has your great weight sat directly on top of it where as the forks have the frame and your legs asorbing some of the weight

Trimix
    Free Member

I have had a reverb for some time now. Quality bit of kit.

I can now say that I do “need one”, I would not enjoy riding without it anywhere near as much.

Reliable = yes, expensive = thats very subjective, fun = depends on how / what you ride.

If you dont try to ride techy stuff or get outside your comfort zone or dont bother with stupidly steep stuff or arent bothered by cornering as fast as your tyres / bottle will allow or jumps, table tops, doubles, drops etc, then dont buy one.

kimbers

got my gravity stopper before the mega and was brilliant for the race and the week out there pleasantly surprised by how useful its been on my local xc rides too , I’m converted

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Trimex,

Yes to all of those 😀

Now all that remains is the funds 🙁

sslowpace
    Free Member

thepurist – Member

@matthew_h – aren’t you forgetting the Lefty. OK, so it’s a bigger diameter but it effectively solves the other problems you mention. Costs a blummin packet though.

Lefty runs on four sets of needle roller bearings on flat bearing surfaces so wont rotate.

AlexSimon

Maybe the answer is getting the one with the longest warranty and the one with the best customer service.
    My Joplin 3 warranty is 2 years and I’ve had to use it. But 2pure were excellent. I have now had 2 years of uppy/downy perfection (apart from the one ride where it broke and I just raised the saddle as a temp fix).

If mine starts giving up again, I might wait for the new Reverb, hoping that they’ve learnt a lot from the first round.

messiah
    Free Member

Awesome ride today not spoiled in the slightest by my Reverb being away getting fixed.
    Quick release = good.
    Reverb = better

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I now understand the uppy-downy 'need'’ is closed to new replies.