• This topic has 43 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by the00.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • I now have the excuse I need to dump SRAM/Truvative from my bike….
  • matt_outandabout

For years I have faffed with short life span GXP bottom brackets on my Truvative chainset. This after faffing with Juicy’s and old X7 shifters of random releasing on previous bikes…

Yesterday I went to swap out the two smaller rings for new ones.

The retaining bolt of silly tension felt ‘odd’ when leaning hard on it to release. When unwinding it, the arm was not its usual stiff but solid to come off. I have snapped retaining bolt and GXP axle. 😯

If I had gone to Glentress as planned today and hit the first jump…. 😯 😯

Thankfully a spare chainset was in the shed, due for middle_oab’s new bike build.
    Shimano all the way now…

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

I dumped Sram last year after a spate of self destroying rear mechs, (3 in the year) and since I went back to shimano (Zee) I have had trouble free riding.
    my riding buddy Jon is having the Same problems with Sram mechs as we speak, so not just me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Having dumped shimano a few years back couldn’t be happier with my drive trains, hope bb and sram the rest. Simple crank fitting and removal and direct mount chain rings.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bregante

I’ve used sram rear mechs and shifters for the last 8 years on my mtb’s without any issues at all. I also have shimano on the cx and road bike but I much prefer the positive shift of sram.

steezysix
    Free Member

I have no strong opinion either way.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

” I have snapped retaining bolt and GXP axle. “

you what ?

you’ve snapped the crankset axle ?

7 years out of my XT Shadow rear mech – not a chance I’d have got that from a SRAM

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member
    teethgrinder

There’s a good chance I’d give up riding over using SRAM shifters and mechs.

bikeneil
    Free Member

What’s Trutative?

bigblackshed

In the first year of ownership of my Kona hybrid, so still under warranty, I had 3 new cranks sets and an extra 8 BBs, plus the one that came on the bike. Truvativ Elita. Utter, utter crap.

Once the warranty was was up I bought a Hope BB, it was intended to be used with the last Truvativ when the BB needed changing, so in about 3 weeks then, but the cranks failed again, and a Race Face Cadence CX crankset. The Race Face / Hope combo has been on for 6 years, having a far harder life than the Truvativ, and still perfect.

The only product Truvativ make which is any good are the chainring bolts with hex keys on both halves.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

There’s a good chance I’d give up riding over using SRAM shifters and mechs.

I’d have to agree, turned down a bargain race bike a few years ago, as replacing all the SRAM kit on it would have pushed the price up beyond the next model in the range. Even allowing for the difference in discounts.

The amount of broken/failed SRAM kit I’ve seen puts me right off, combined with the replacement prices. Even the owner of our local SRAM service centre switched to shimano the week after he sold up…….

chillidave
    Free Member

7 years out of my XT Shadow rear mech – not a chance I’d have got that from a SRAM

My Sram X0 mech, which I bought second hand nearly 10 years ago and is still going strong and as sharp as ever, would beg to differ.

All this SRAM hate is weird, I’ve run both, both can break, both can be set up wrong.

hatter

My Sram X0 mech, which I bought second hand nearly 10 years ago and is still going strong and as sharp as ever, would beg to differ.

Old 9-speed X.O was brilliant and at the time made Shimano really pull their socks up.

Then more recent stuff however…

zero-cool
    Free Member

On the flip side, I’m just about to retire my old X7 mech, not because it’s worn out or broken, but solely because the bike it’s on is going and everything else is now 10 speed. Bought the bike in 07 and abuse it most weeks.

Although I’ll agree about GPX BBs
    Tom KP.

Will probably donate it to a local bike recycling GROUP.

Although I have worn out a 10 speed X9 mech in 18 months of hard use.

mikeyd
    Free Member
    eshershore
    Free Member

sram…hmmm

Northwind

The only thing I really object to, is the Truvativ BBs. It’s not brain surgery, just about everyone else has managed to make a good BB, even Raceface are getting there. And SRAM make other products with good bearings. So I don’t think it’s too paranoid, to think they make intentionally crap consumables to give them a revenue stream. SRAM’s crank market seems to be mostly OEM and then high end and both are places they can maximise BB sales- new riders will just fit new BBs thinking they have to, and people with expensive groupsets won’t want to throw parts away.

Drivetrain wise I was a SRAM dude, they always had the best feel and usability while Shimano had the better build quality. But then 10 speed came along and Shimano unsubtly ripped off everything that SRAM did better. I loved X9 9 speed mechs, they make no sense- the pivots wear and the whole thing becomes rattly and floppy yet inexplicably, they still shift beautifully. Shimano goes in the bin with 1/10th as much play, they just stop working.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m with you Northwind on the old X9 stuff. I’ve got an old X9 9speed shifter/RD and the shifting up and down is so light and very accurate, despite being floppy.

I’ve got Shadow+ 10spd gears on another bike and the shifting up is comparatively hard work and not always perfect – but the lack of chain-bounce and dual-direction downshift button makes it worth it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My 10sp SRAM x9 did 2 years, again floppy but shifting perfectly, only swapped to go to GX. It will go onto another bike for a bit too.

Got XT 10sp an it’s just (IMHO) not as good, shifter ergo not as nice, shifting not quite as good and FFS having to turn off the clutch!!! The number of people who seem to forget to turn it back on post puncture of getting bike out of car.

Looking at it it seems that Shimano can do no wrong for some and many who said 11sp was pointless got a little over excited when shimano finally caught up (well did a limited range cassette that gives you the same as an expanded one)

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

FFS having to turn off the clutch!!!

I never turn it off except when fitting chains- not necessary unless you have twiglets for arms and can’t overpower it.

10 speed Saint shifter is great btw, proper SRAM bolt action but with Shimano’s build quality, equals best shifter I’ve ever used.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you might not but heaps do, the little pin on SRAM is an awesome solution and you don’t have a switch to break (see posts about that) and it doesn’t fall apart when you take it apart to tighten it…

The new Shimano stuff is good but in no way is it way miles ahead like some seem to imply.

Northwind

Yeah, but point, is “having to turn off the clutch”, you don’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well take the switch off! Tell the rest of the people, I know you, you know, hundreds don’t and automatically do it to remove the wheel then don’t turn it on again. It’s not the worst feature but it’s adding a failure point for no good reason. Use the SRAm type2 and see how easy it is.

Running both and basically the Shimano is going.

matt_outandabout

you what ?

you’ve snapped the crankset axle ?

Yes – retaining bolt head had done some odd spiral break, and it had a good chunk of axle with it, from just inside splined and threaded end.

I’m am a big lad (14st), but rarely break things, and not too hamfisted…

rickon
    Free Member

I hate it when Mum and Dad fight.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THIS
    I have a mixture on both road and MTB both work as they should

rickon
    Free Member

Actually to even up the ‘Shimano Clutch lever’ thing. I accidentally left the SRAM mech on the little pin for getting the wheel out. That resulted in an almost testicle/stem interface issue.

The consequence of forgetting the SRAM mech compared the to Shimano is much higher. Although the chance is also far lower. I’d argue the point is moot.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

If I had gone to Glentress as planned today and hit the first jump….

You getting sweet Air these days?.. 😉

philjunior
    Free Member

The SRAM/Truvativ BB life is crap.

Every time I’ve replaced the cable on the only SRAM shifter I own, it’s exploded and had to be reassembled.

A new rear mech lost the retaining snap ring for the hanger bolt.

Once fitted the stuff works well and (except for the BB) lasts alright, but given the choice I’ll be using Shimano.

For the record I’ve snapped a lot of cranks and BBs and the Truvativ ones I had survived.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Having always been Shimano. I now prefer a combination of the 2.

Sram cassette – don’t know why Shimano are still being stubborn and not going 10T? Also The SRAM top end cassettes although silly expensive are undeniably a work of art + Have heard the new Shimano wide range ones can be creaky?

SRAM cranks – still love Shimano cranks but at the time of buying the SRAM XX1 cranks were the best and possibly only option for running 30T ovalised chaining (this is probably not still the case). The cranks are lovely anyhow but still prefer the Shimano clamping mechanism and value for money.

Shimano mech and shifter. Still the best functionally in my opinion, I prefer the Shimano shifter layout and Im not sure how SRAM managed to make their mechs look so ugly – must have been a big effort!

How convenient that these parts play nicely together. I reckon Shimano did this on purpose knowing they had missed a trick on the cassette front 🙂

Oh and hope for Bottom bracket if we are counting that – In fact hope for anything where bearings are required.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I was a massive SRAM fanboy when the released trigger shifters in 05 or so.

I liked the fact that the triggers were thumb actuated and the fact that the 1:1 cable pull dealt with muck and crud better. They were easier to set up and could be left with minimal faffing. the X9 mech that I bought in 05 was still fine when I last used it despite being a bit floppy (and the jockey wheels looking like through stars).

I do think that the X9 level stuff has gone down in quality though – the first 10 speed mech I had didn’t like the wet (jocket wheels would seize) and the shifters kept failing. The Type II mech I had was still very noisey (the Zee that repalced it is much better). The X0 shifter I bought to replace the X9 one was ace though – being able to adjust the triggers was brill. The shift action was great and the ergonomics perfect.

I now run Zee mechs with Saint shifters because I think the mechs are better. I do reallt miss the shifters though.

Truvativ stuff has always been pants though.

Won’t touch Shimano chains though – my SRAM chains have been brilliant.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ive had SRAM on a few bikes, mostly as it seems to be cheaper to OEM? I gave it a go as I used to use the old SRAM shifters with shimamo pull ratios.

Went through 3 X9 mechs in a month and had to give up. Ive bent shimano before (never 3 in a month though) but it tended to be a subtle tweek that was hard almost to notice, SRAM folded completely!

Went back to shimano and not trashed one since.

I can see the reason for clutch mechs, but Ive been running a normal SS chainring and normal mech on my XC bike and it’s not dropped either, so leaving the clutch off is hardly a reason to panic!

Contary to popular oppinion though Ive found recent BB’s fine, I got through them in a matter of weeks before, the last couple are still on bikes with 600miles on each though, so they’re not doing badly.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Cranks:
    I’ve always run Shimano but…
    I broke an SLX (9spd) crank earlier this year.
    One of our group broke an SLX (10spd) crank yesterday.

My new bike has SRAM X01 11 spd carbon cranks and they seem quite tough. Shame about the GXP BB longevity (lack of) though. I’ve packed it with waterpump grease from new but will go Hope when it fails.

Cassettes:
    XT 9 and 10 spd has always worked well for me but X01 11 spd is even better. Shame they cost so much though. Will probably go GX when it comes to replacement time.

Rear mechs:
    XT 10 spd & Saint 9 spd have been the most reliable to date for me but the X01 is holding up really well so far. Two big rock strikes on the mech in the last two rides and it’s only scratched it. They do seem to stick out in harm’s way a bit too much though.
    The deal breaker will be the cost of a new X01 mech though. Mech’s are consumable items IME. £40 for an XT is tolerable but I’m not buying 2 or 3 X01 mechs every year!!!

I think the 11 spd config will end up as XT mech and shifter, SRAM cranks and cassette, Hope BB.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

For the record I’ve snapped a lot of cranks

😯

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Thread resurrection, having bought a O-O Fatty trail lat last year, Unfortunately (with Sram components) During the Jennride earlier today my 4th rear Sram mech decided to obliterate its self, and as I said in earlier posts …. its back to Trusty shimano XT for this Fatty riding lad!!! Bluddy sram shoit :/

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I hate it when Mum and Dad fight.

Shut up and go to your room.

😆

mindmap3
    Free Member

Back on SRAM now…

10 speed on the big bike because that’s what it came with and in all fairness it’s not doing too bad. The matchmaker clamp ssytem is really good.

11 speed on my trail bike (GX mech and cassette with XO1 shifter) and I’m really impressed with it so far. The shift action is lighter than the 10 speed but still feel definite and once again the matchmakers system with my Reverb makes for a very tidy bar area in terms of only having two clamps. The GX cassette looks really nice for a ‘cheaper’ cassette and shifts well. The 11 speed mech seems less slappy than the 10 speed ones too.

I’m glad to be back on SRAM shifters though. For me the ergonomics are soooo much better than the Shimano ones but I do miss the double shift down the cassette.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3 years on SRAM for me, 6 months on GX for me. Works flawlessly and much simply – the Hope BB gets rid of the Sram one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i think id go singlespeed before fitting sram back to my bike through choice.

jockey wheels that sieze , springs that wear and dont let you shift into the bottom cog , B tension “brackets” that snap.

plastic shifter internals that fail , avid brakes that need bled when you fit new pads almost without fail.

road gruppos that change year on year making it very dificult to find compatible parts for a bike thats only a year or two old (admittedly that was right at the start of their road foray)

Ive had enough of that pish.

My m980 drivetrain is still going strong . my m960 drivertrain is still going strong my 6700 and 6600 ultegra gruppos are still going strong. god knows how many miles that lot has on them but its not 5 😉

with wifes more modern m770 is still going strong as well

how ever both companies could do with looking at their brakes long and hard. neither make a decent reliable hydraulic brake imo. Both make good cable options though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘I now have the excuse I need to dump SRAM/Truvative from my bike….’ is closed to new replies.