Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I never thought I'd say this ever! "I'M A ROADIE AND **** LOVE IT!
  • B@rney
    Free Member

As in title –

Sick and tired of the poor Calderdale/Everywhere weather and not enjoying the great bits in a ride enough to get my thrills on the hills in the gloop.

So bought a road bike and not looked back, scooting along at a great pace and getting the miles in……… Happy, Happy Days…..just thought I’d share that…the End

iamsporticus
    Free Member

+1 ^^^^^^^

I agree
    But its all good and both types of bikes complement each other

Road = good for cardio fitness
    MTB = good for bike skills and a social ride

Pouring rain = MTB
    Muddy bridleways = road

Otherwise they are both good

scraprider
    Free Member

enjoy i supose, at least you not killing small fury woodland critters. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

I like winter road riding since I hate riding off road on muddy gloopy trails. The roads here are still pretty muddy but as mine’s SS I can just put it back in the shed without having to hose it all down and lube the drivetrain 😀 Need to fit some stickier tyres though, I’m getting worried about the stock specialized ones now the roads are wetter, since I’ve read they’re known for being slippy.

LardLover
    Free Member

Good work 😉

Frankenstein
    Free Member

B@rney – Member
    As in title –

Sick and tired of the poor Calderdale/Everywhere weather and not enjoying the great bits in a ride enough to get my thrills on the hills in the gloop.

So bought a road bike and not looked back, scooting along at a great pace and getting the miles in……… Happy, Happy Days…..just thought I’d share that…the End

+1 x1000000

Bloody heavy rain but I’ve just kitted my roadbike with proper ‘guards and looking forward to winter. (Except ice!)

Sell the mtb time…nah summer cometh in only 6 months! lol 😆

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have to admit I do enjoy roadie antics these days. Getting out on the MTB isn’t as easy as it used to be with family etc. Plus at work we now have a cycle club with a weekly road ride so it’s all good.

RealMan
    Free Member

On the bmx last night + road ride today + mountain bike ride tomorrow morning + roller racing tomorrow evening = happy me.

slowjo
    Free Member

I have noticed that in the winter a lot of mtb folk migrate to the road whereas a similar number of road peeps migrate to mtbs. Obviously there isn’t a wholesale transfer of interests but enough to make me raise a metaphorical eyebrow.

I am enjoying road riding more than mtb-ing atm, I have just got a CX bike for those days when both the road and trails beckon.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’ve a confession to make. I’ve been doing so much road riding I’ve not been out on my MTB at all so far this year. Last weekend I decided I really needed to get out on the trails before I lost my bike handling but as soon as I got an MTB off the garage wall and pumped the tyres up the weather promptly turned to sh!t and the trails round here are really not worth riding pushing through the mud on when they’re saturated. Strangely some of the roadies I’ve been riding with change to MTB during the winter. I’ve always done it the other way round until this year, using the road bike to keep fitness up through the winter.

Road riding does tend to have a better riding to cleaning/fettling ratio though.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Couldn’t face the gloop today so took the road bike out.

For those that know:-

Rochdale/Broad Lane/Shaw/Buckstones Rd/Windy Hill/towards Halifax/back up Halifax Rd/down Cragg Vale/Hebden/Todmorden/Rochdale.

Nice ride, some good climbing, only spoilt 300yrds from home when some ‘Fin du Cloche’-headed cretin pulled an illegal u-turn out of backed up traffic in front of me, pulled into a side turning then came straight back out without looking.
    I saw him just in time so moved over (was moving fast downhill on a 40mph road)

He looked rather suprised to find an irate cyclist alongside his door questioning his parentage, the level of inbreeding of his immediate family & whether one of his inbred cousins took his test for him ‘cos he sure didn’t take it! 👿

oldgit
    Free Member

A lot of fellow MTBers are still surprised when I tell them that road is still my passion, and has been for near on forty years.
    And I think this time of the year is great for road riding, but come winter proper and the road can start to lose it’s appeal, think snow, ice and meltwater. Suddenly the trails don’t look so bad?
    I suppose MTB has replaced the crosser for many road men as a winter option, but mainly for a bit of variety whilst still keeping the legs turning over.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Having barely ridden this year I want to plan a few big road rides, 200 -300 km, it does not have the excitement factor but doing a massive look or crossing the country in a day is very satisfying. Never done a proper 200+km ride in the winter so I’m looking forward to it. Dynamo hub at the ready.

IainGillam
    Free Member

slowjo – Member
    I have noticed that in the winter a lot of mtb folk migrate to the road whereas a similar number of road peeps migrate to mtbs. Obviously there isn’t a wholesale transfer of interests but enough to make me raise a metaphorical eyebrow.

You realise that you are really a roadie when winter training is riding the mtb because you can’t bear to get the road bike wet!

To the OP it’s a slippery slope, I got a road bike last year and now the word disc instantly conjures up images of tufo shod slabs of carbon emmiting a fantastic roar from the back of a TT bike and apparently that’s just wrong!

Iain

oldgit
    Free Member

TheBrick, get on the road by 6am and on a pleasant winters day you’ll have a great ride.
    Not great if it’s well below zero or blowing a hurricane force wind.

tazzymtb

thinking of joining the narrow tyre brigade as well, may well sell a couple of the mountain bikes and start time trialling again. haven’t done it for years so it’ll nice to drop all the baggy clothed trail center rubbish and daft attitudes that seems to permeate mountain biking these days.

slowjo
    Free Member

You realise that you are really a roadie when winter training is riding the mtb because you can’t bear to get the road bike wet!

Not quite Iain… it is when you buy a hack (road) bike specially so you don’t get the good road bike wet! I have my good bike nicely tucked up in a heated room whereas my current ride is a fixie with mudguards.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You realise that you are really a roadie when winter training is riding the mtb because you can’t bear to get the road bike wet

Nah, its when your road bike is muddier than your mtb. Mine seems to be at the moment

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Yet another Roadie in denial thread…

B@rney
    Free Member

Frankenstein – I’ll never sell the full suss – never.
    Proper winter ride now having fitted some cool crud race guards2 from Pete at Vale, brilliant. Still working out the gear ratio’s but I’m having so much fun. Riding MTB’s for about 20 years and loving it, just got that kick again!! come on….might even go again in the morning

simondbarnes

I enjoy road riding way more than mtbing these days. My bike collection now consists of 4 drop barred bikes and a couple of mtb frames sat gathering dust.

tinribz
    Free Member

It’s usually about 50/50 MTB/RB outings 4 me, but in weather like this I fit flat bars on the MTB, lock out the forks, pump up the tyres and hit the road with that.

Seems to make more sense with the poor grip and disc brakes.

Been mulling over the idea of a CX frame with disk mounts lately though.

Blueadvocate

Hope you enjoy but never my scene…. its for cars, I hate when it when I need to link some off road with road apart from the last half mile home of course.

fizzer
    Free Member

Its all cycling to me and I love every minute of it, whether riding to work on a sub-zero 6:30am commute (seems like every day at the moment lol) or a day on the Lakeland Fells/Pennines/local trails.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I never thought I'd say this ever! "I'M A ROADIE AND **** LOVE IT!’ is closed to new replies.