Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I never thought I'd ask but…what tyres for SDW??
  • heihei

Thinking about doing the SDW in a day and wondered what tyres people recommend. Would be going on a 25lb full-suss and run tubeless, for a 12.5st rider, and would only attempt it in the dry.

njee20
    Free Member

Furious Fred USTs, with lots of tubeless goo, it's not technical, just flinty.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I used Maxxis Crossmarks LUST 2.1, I don't normally like them but they were perfect for it in the dry, probably a bit scary in the wet 😯

5lab

i did it on 2.5" dual ply highrollers 🙂

However, I'd reccomend something skinny, slick or semislick, with dual ply if possible – none of our group had any problems with punctures or sliding around. Even if it wets up, tread won't make any difference to the grip levels.

a holy roller or a hookworm might work well, but I think they're only single ply

just ride what you've got. It was bloody hard work with silly tyres, but more rewarding at the end

scaredypants

LOL (and high-five) @ 5lab – I did it on a bullit with supertacky 2.35s on ( 🙄 )

If did it again, and it was dry, I'd put those grey UST michelin things on that CRC do for about 15 quid – low tread, roll q well and "robust" so won't cut up (I doubt they're very grippy, mind but no prob for the sdw)

wwaswas

Intense System 2's are great on the sdw in the dry – minimal tread but fairly robust sidewalls to cope with the flints.

heihei

Cheers for the advice.

njee20 – what width? Is 1.8" too narrow?

I'm also assuming you'd run pretty high pressures to reduce rolling resistance as much as possible?

wwaswas

I wouldn't go too high on pressure – you do still need grip and an extra bit of squish will be welcome

1.8's are probably a bit narrow, imo.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I'd probably go for the 2.25 frankly, bit more squidge!

thomthumb
    Free Member

anything fast. and not too small as dry chalk is rock hard so you need a bit of cushioning.

semislick on the rear would be ideal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I never thought I'd ask but…what tyres for SDW??’ is closed to new replies.