• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I needed a password 8 characters long…
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

… So I picked snow white and the seven dwarves.

That was apparently the best joke at this years edinburgh fringe.

And there is one of the reasons that people living in edinburgh detest the fringe.

Hohum
    Free Member

You were beaten to this by druidh yesterday…

It is a pish joke though.

Arty, farty, pish nonsense.

Helps the Edinburgh economy though and I hope that some of the Edinburgers will take there pennies and spend them out in West Lothian.

Sorry, hic, had a few beers tonight 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Does it not pay for the team?

goodgugu
    Free Member

Right on the fringes of being comic in any way shape or form… Note to self – must buy christmas crackers….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You wouldn’t have heard a proper comedian like Tommy Cooper come out with jokes like that.

It’s a disgrace quite frankly.

Diane
    Free Member

I’ve heard some good reviews of this year’s fringe. Bit hit and miss though

GrahamS

And there is one of the reasons that people living in edinburgh detest the fringe.

They don’t. Only the miserable buggers do.

Kevevs
    Free Member

lighten the place up with your wit and brevity Surrounded By Zulus! lol.

poly
    Free Member

SbZ,

I’m confused. You detest the Fringe (or do you mean all of the Edinburgh Festivals that take place in August?), yet you pay attention to the “Best Joke of the Year” competition. You detest the Fringe, which happens every year and with all the ancillary stuff takes up nearly 10% of your year, yet you choose to live in Edinburgh.

Now I’m not a fan of Edinburgh during Festival Time (but I don’t like anywhere busy – its not the festival per se). Its one of the many reasons I prefer to live elsewhere in the country. However coming back to the “joke” itself: which bit offended you? Is it the funniest thing I’ve heard all year – probably not. Is is a mildly amusing “one liner” – yes, and if delivered by someone with good timing and expression perhaps it was note worthy. Does it encapsulate everything about the Festival that might upset the locals? I can’t see how.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I just use password!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Paint. Dry.

miketually
    Free Member
    Squidlord
    Free Member

Is that xkcd cartoon right about passwords? Might have to change several of mine. If I can remember them.

tron
    Free Member

The “Best Joke of the Fringe” is always poor. I suspect it’s selected by vote or committee, and so something that’s fairly widely mildly amusing gets up to the top.

A bit like how PR would be good for the Lib Dems 😉

edit:

Shortlisted then online vote. Think what kind of person is loitering around on the Dave website waiting to place a vote…

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/873375-nick-helms-snow-white-gag-named-best-joke-at-edinburgh-fringe

GW
    Free Member

Are you even from Edinburgh Glupton?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

GW – I’m not originally from Edinburgh, but I have lived on the city for 7 years in all. I dont choose to live here either, much prefer Glasgow, but I dont have the option to move there at present.

Poly – the joke is in no way shape or form funny. It’s not even clever.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Poly – the joke is in no way shape or form funny. It’s not even clever.

Absolutely SBZ. Tell us a funny and clever joke so that Poly understands what you mean.

Last year’s winner ?
    “I’ve just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I’ll tell you what, never again.”

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn’t seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, “My friend is dead! What can I do?”. The operator says “Calm down. I can help. First, let’s make sure he’s dead.” There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says “OK, now what?”

totalshell

it made me smile. spread a little happiness folks its free unlike the daily mail subscriptions you must all have.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That’s hilarious SBZ ! 😀

And it has the added benefit that I haven’t heard it for several years.

It really is about time that the Edinburgh fringe started recycling old jokes with a proven track record, instead of coming out with all these newfangled ones which aren’t even funny or clever.

ShoePolice
    Free Member

I imagine that joke would be a lot funnier after a few drinks in the middle of an act, as intended, rather than read on the internet.

donsimon
    Free Member

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn’t seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, “My friend is dead! What can I do?”. The operator says “Calm down. I can help. First, let’s make sure he’s dead.” There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says “OK, now what?”

Haven’t heard this for a long time, but it did make me smile. 😀

aracer
    Free Member

I think you’re missing the point of stand-up, Trolling. Jokes have to be in the first person – not sure yours works so well told that way. Meanwhile I suspect the original winning one works a lot better in context than written down on an internet forum.

mudshark
    Free Member

The top 10 are all inoffensive so that says something about what happens when jokes get voted for. Anyway, I think it’s OK but I’d want to slap anyone who liked the one that came 3rd:

“People say ‘I’m taking it one day at a time’. You know what? So is everybody. That’s how time works.”

GW
    Free Member

personally I preferred it when you obsessively posted shit about Innerleithen rather than Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I needed a password 8 characters long…’ is closed to new replies.