Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I need to ride a penny farthing
  • DavidB
    Free Member

I’m doing some research for an article I’m writing that covers Penny farthing bikes and could really do with riding one to experience it first hand. Anyone on here done this, or got one I could have a go at?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Make sure you film it and post back. Full body armour and gum shield.

DavidB
    Free Member

Apparently the originals had no brakes..

joolsburger
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near north Surrey there is a place that makes/sells them in East Molesey- Call Neils Wheels

Just replied on the other forum. 😉

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’d love to have a go too.

Be careful when ringing round, though. Asking for a “Penny Farthing” marks you out as a noob. The bike is called an “Ordinary”.

DavidB
    Free Member

Ah.. but it was only called the Ordinary after the advent of the safety bike 🙂

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Indeed. Before that, it was just a “bicycle” 😀

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

By the way, I think you may be out of luck with regards to hiring one. Just done some googling and that Mr Phoebus company comes up. However on their “Penny Farthing Experience” days, you don’t actually get to ride one 🙂

I assume they can’t get insurance to let people actually ride one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If yer anywhere near Knutsford, head to the cafe that’s also the penny farthing museum.

tonyg2003

I’ve ridden Penny Farthings a fair bit (even lots of the modern ones have no brakes) and crit raced them a couple of times, which was completely nuts. You might have better luck asking on a road forum about finding someone to let you ride one.

aracer
    Free Member

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/penny-farthing.html supply Pennys – they might let you have a test ride if you ask.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I need to ride a penny farthing’ is closed to new replies.