Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • I need to move a ceiling light fitting……. Help
  • renton
    Free Member

Our dining room light has never been central to the room so every light we have tried to fit in the original place just looks rubbish.

however we have just bought a new light and would really like to keep it this time, which means i really should move the light .

it only needs to move about 10 inches but im not sure on the legal side of the wiring etc.

ive got no access from above so everything i have to do is from below and i dont want to make a mess of the ceiling either.

i dont think the original wiring will reach the new location .

any ideas???

cheers

steve

bruneep

any ideas???

Get someone in who knows what they are doing.

http://www.yell.com/

spooky_b329

Usually you will find quite a tangle of wires behind the fitting – supply from previous light, supply to next, plus a switch wire. If you do it yourself, have a peak, do some research on the various wiring types, and don't proceed until you are sure what each wire is and understand how it works, otherwise you'll end up having to call a sparky round to fix it anyway 🙂

stumpyjon

Sod the legal implications for a start, I've moved sockets, lights and done all sorts of wiring myself. If it was me I'd seal up the existing light socket in the ceiling void, effectively convert it into a junction box as there will probably be quite a lot of wires going into it. Then ideally buy a new fitting and just run a wire between the 2. If you're lucky you'll be able to pull the cable through to the new location. If you're unlucky there will be a joist in the way. I usually channel out a bit of the plaster board ceiling under the joist, run the cable through and then fill the channel. The most difficult bit is repairing the ceiling afterwards, especially if it's patterned artex, but it can be done if you take your time.

oldgit
    Free Member

You might hit several problems.
    A joist!
    And you'll need to identify the switched neutral.
    I know in some extreme cases electricians will channel the ceiling.
    That's probably a reasonably cheap job for an electrician.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘I need to move a ceiling light fitting……. Help’ is closed to new replies.