Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • I need some warmer gloves
  • jimm
    Free Member

Just got back from a ride and my Thor gloves are not cutting it in this weather so I need something that is a bit warmer. I’ve got some of the Aldi/Lidl winter gloves which are fine for the commute but I don’t like them for the off road stuff as they’re too thick. Guess I need more Autumn/Spring type gloves, ie not too bulky and offer good feel, don’t need to be totally waterproof either. What would you guys recommend I try

Cheers
    Jim

andymc06
    Free Member

I’ve got some Endura Dexter’s which I use as my intermediate glove. They are marked as windproof and have worked well in pretty cold weather and keep most of the rain out.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Planet X, don’t know which ones are best but they’re all cheap. Ive got the winter gloves and my hands were alrite on the road bike today.

rickmeister

Gore Alp x 2.0, really good, not too thick and warm as well.

On my second pair as annoyingly, lost one ast Inners…

andymc06
    Free Member

For properly cold i have some Fox Antifreeze which have been excellent. In fact, a little too warm if anything!

warpcow
    Free Member

Planet X softshell are super warm (for me anyway) and dirt cheap. I’ve been using them comfortabley down past -5.

Edit: just saw that they’re called ‘Insul8or’. Go up a size too if you value blood-flow to your fingers.

hh45
    Free Member

Seal Skins make some v good winter gloves. Various thermal levels.

Northwind

Do like my Antifreezes… They’re a heavy duty (but not waterproof) outer shell, with a thinner, insulated and waterproof inner shell, so you can tune them a bit. I’ve got bad circulation and apart from motorbike and ski gloves these are the only things i’ve worn that keep my hands functioning on properly cold days (though even then, could be warmer tbh!)

They’re very well pre-curved so even with the liner in the bulk isn’t a problem (with the liner out, the palm is a bit thicker than standard but just feels normal). And no damn-fool padding, why do so many winter gloves throw on extra palm pads as if the 2 go together in some way?

Downsides- they don’t last especially well, my first pair lasted maybe a year before the outer shell cracked and came away from the thumbs, which affected the insluation a lot. Not ideal for an expensive glove but I think a fair tradeoff.

mau00149
    Free Member

i picked up some 661 transition gloves for just that job for winter riding, i find them pretty good for the colder rides

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

For off road I wear fleece gloves I got from Semi Chem for about £2. Not windproof but I find this does not matter off road as I’m generating plenty heat. Feel is OK and, while I have never needed to, a thin liner could be worn.

teamslug
    Free Member

Glacier Gloves Perfect Curve…its a bit too warm at the mo though.

superfli
    Free Member

Peoples circulation is very different. I personally thought the Fox Antifreeze no good below 5C. They were comfy and you still got lots of feeling on the bars, but werent warm enough and also did not last at all well. After a few months use they developed holes on the palm outer.

I’ve since bought Answer Strike neoprene gloves Much more waterproof, are good down to about 0C and have held up very well so far. As much feeling in them as summer gloves as well.

If its below 0C then motorbike gloves are the only answer for me. Just cant feel the bars very well at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘I need some warmer gloves’ is closed to new replies.