Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I need some new lube for Road bike chain – Fenwicks Stealth again ?
  • iainc

or is there some new wonder product which won’t get dirty and gungy ?

I use Squirt on MTB buy find it gets a bit sticky on road bike.

Bottle of Fenwicks Stealth stuff has been pretty good but now done..

scotroutes

Have you tried Pedros Ice Wax?

neninja
    Free Member

I tried Stealth and liked it but got sick of the messy slow application. I’ve gone back to Progold Prolink – easy to apply and works very well.

eshershore
    Free Member

we’ve been trying the Fenwick’s Stealth lube for the past month on staff bikes (road, cyclo-x and mtb) since we stopped buying Finish Line

very impressed with the Stealth lube – downside is that it’s terrible to apply; very viscious and the pipette does not really work!

but once its dropped onto each roller, then worked in with a rag whilst back pedalling the transmission, the chain becomes very clean and very quiet.

Seems to stay put, but does not cause a build up of dirt

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Just started using Squirt on mine. Haven’t put enough miles in it yet to see if I like it or not.

iainc

thanks for feedback so far. anyone tried the muc off ceramic dry stuff on road ?

Might have a look at the Ice wax and Progold, thanks

Kip

Depends on how good you are with your chain routine. I use juice lubes viking lube but it’s best on a clean chain and you need to apply 3 or 4 layers to get the best out of it.
    If you’re predominantly riding in the dry their dry lube is good too and the ceramic is amazing.
    I got a load of freebies as a prize and always go back to the viking using it on all my bikes, road or MTB.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you try White Lightning Epic Ride?

I use it for road and MTB now, nice and clean and lasts well enough for almost all rides.

GrahamS

I mostly just use this:

Will I die?

carlphillips
    Free Member

squirt = rubbish ime

usin stealth (and on mtb) which i find ace and easy to apply.

iainc

A few things for me to try, thanks

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Used to use Finish Line dry and still not dead, but have found they have changed it and not for the better. I have tried Muc Off Dry and found that to dry out too quick, even after a few coats and left to bed in before riding. Just ordered some Finish Line Ceramic, so will try that next.

Frankers
    Free Member

White Lightning Epic

I got a rusty chain with Squirt after I wet dry or washing

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

progold prolink

I realise this is a road bike chain thread, but avoid using Prolink on MTBs with chain guides

http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/lube-and-degreaser-compatibility/

http://bythehive.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2013/02/lubricant_summary_web.pdf

cynic-al
    Free Member

Odd how riding/lubing/cleaning/riding conditions means pretty much every lube has both fans and haterz,

What lube for a mostly dry weather rider (except commuter) who CBA cleaning his chain?

I am about to try this:

stevious

Al – I’ve been using Rock&Roll lubes for about a year here which are the same principle as that 1-step stuff (I assume). Does a pretty decent job of cleaning the chain and have had no problems with the lubrication. It was a big bonus in the dusty conditions we had here in NZ this summer, which managed to destroy some other components – the chains coped fine.

I’ve found it needs applying a bit more often on the roadbike than some other dry lubes, but not huge amounts and the ease of cleaning more than makes up for that.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I used to swear by Finish Line ceramic lune but the stuff that I bought this year has been pants, even applied to a lean chain. I managed to get by with it fir most of the year last year on the MTB, but this year the slightest sign of water and its gone. It’s not been great on the road bike either; started well but within a ride or two the drivetrain in mega noisy.

I’ve since swapped to Juice Lubes Viking lube which is a pain to apply because its so runny but it does seem to work pretty well; minimal gunk on the chain in the dust yet it seems to work in the wet too.

mduncombe
    Free Member

I am using Fenwicks Stealth lube on my MTB and have been impressed. Currently using White Lighning Clean on my road bike and will most likely swap to Fenwicks for that as well when it runs out.

Dont forget the trick of letting the Stealth Lube bottle sit in hot water for a few minutes before application. In the winter its almost impossbile to apply without doing this first if its stored in cold shed/garage rather than indoors.

GrahamS

Is the Stealth lube good in the rain?

The trouble with the Finish Line Dry lube is that it is rubbish in the wet.

e.g. Lubed the chain with goodly amount on Sunday night, ready for the weeks commuting. On Monday I got caught in heavy rain on the way home and got properly soaked. This morning (Tuesday) the chain was distinctly orange in places and winced a bit.

iainc

I have found Stealth fine in the rain on the road, albeit haven’t tried for much over 30 miles. Gets pretty drty and manky though, hence my OP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Squirt is no good in the grimy West of Scotland. Rock n Roll blue is your friend, Mr C.

iainc

Greg – it’s a road bike lube thread ! Squirt works fine on the MTB this summer, but nae good on the road where it gets all sticky and claggy

Toasty

Shimano PTFE lube stuff here, have for a year or so now. Getting on very well with it.

Didn’t like Squirt, you don’t need to clean your chain but it does build up on the jockey wheels and things, seems to wear off in a very short amount of miles too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops!.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I need some new lube for Road bike chain – Fenwicks Stealth again ?’ is closed to new replies.