Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • I need some help with GPS/smart watch. Fitbit Surge or Garmin or other? Strava
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice with a watch to take biking with me. My girlfriend recently got a fitbit charge HR as a present and it’s been really motivating with her fitness/diet/health regime. She regularly looks at her step count, heart rate etc. etc.

I was sceptical about their accuracy etc. and saw them as a fad but regardless it has motivated her no end and I would like something similar. After a bit of homework, it seems that they’re not all that accurate and don’t track your workouts via GPS however their ‘Surge’ model does have GPS.

So I don’t know whether I would like a GPS watch to track my ride and leave my phone to just be a phone therefore leaving the watch to do everything?Or do I want a watch to link with my phone feeding back the information? I’ve no issue starting strava on my phone but I don’t want to keep checking it. Am I right in thinking something of these ‘smart bands’ can link with your phone and display everything for you.

Anyway, I’d love your feedback and experiences so far.

Thanks in advance.

tomhughes46

I have a Garmin Forerunner 15. I use it for running and tracking rides, but it also does approximate daily step count and I have the HRM strap for Turbo sessions. I chose it because it was the cheapest watch that did everything I need (the 10 isn’t waterproof). I would rather conserve phone battery incase of emergency than log rides with my phone, and I never run with my phone.

I really like it, and it has been a useful training tool. If I lost it I’d by another. Downsides? Battery life is about 4 ish hours with GPS on, sometimes it takes a while to find satellites and if money were no object bluetooth syncing would be good and maybe pulse from the wrist but I leave it on the bars when on the turbo anyway.

DC Rainmaker has a lot of good content http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/activity-monitors

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Thanks Tom, Ill put this on ‘the list’ and research.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

I have a Microsoft Band 2. It has lots of function including a GPS enabled cycling function. The HR measurement is pretty similar to my cheststrap operated HR function on my Mio GPS – only 2bpm difference it seems.
    However, the cycle function does seem to record around 1mph less on average speed and about the same on distance. At the moment I have no idea which device is more accurate!
    It has all the step/calorie/activity functions of other fitness bands but also allows me to access emails/texts/news etc plus facebook/twitter updates if I wish (I don’t). I understand it will interact with Apple and Android phones as well as Microsoft phones.
    You need to download the phone app of course and your data is displayed on the MS health website.
    It links your rides to Strava too.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Thanks muddydwarf. Do you know if the band 2 is much better than the 1 which seems to go for much cheaper?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘I need some help with GPS/smart watch. Fitbit Surge or Garmin or other? Strava’ is closed to new replies.