Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I need help! My feet are going……
  • robdob
    Free Member

……….numb.

On my road bike I have some Eggbeater pedals, and use Nike Granfondo shoes. After a few miles of pedalling my middle toes start to go numb.

Obviously this is not nice and a bit weird. I know how to set clipless pedals up no problem and have no other issues.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it the shoes or the pedals?

Smee
    Free Member

Sounds like your shoes are too tight across the top.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've been gettin this too. Riding 7 miles on flats in normal footwear…

I've got this idea it might be vibration. Dunno though. My hands go numb too.

Only on the Roadrat, not the MTB…..

bobbyspangles

try loosening you shoes, if the nerves get trapped or blood flow is reduced across the meta tarsals then it will induce a numb feeling.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I get it too but only when using my spd shoes. Road and MTB. Thinking about sticking to flats for MTB because of it. Will try loosening my shoes.

robdob
    Free Member

I don't have the shoes too tight, I've tried loosening them and tightening them and it doesn't make any difference as far as I can tell.

I was thinking that the pedals don't really have any support on them. And the shoes are not ultra stiff road shoes, they gave a full tread on them and flex enough to walk short distances. Kinda like MTB Shoes (not that I've ever had any MTB clipless shoes to compare). So therefore I get a hotspot of pressure , possibly? My big and little toes are always ok.

PP your problem is obviously your dainty angel feet. 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I also think it might be partly to do with the constant cadance and static seating position on a road bike. You move round a lot more on a MTB, pedalling speed and load varies a lot, you stand up more. Just a guess really…..

With me it's not tight shoes for sure.

MrAgreeable

Maybe your off-bike footwear is the cause of the problem?

robdob
    Free Member

MrAgreeable, you said you'd give them back after you had attended "that party". I'm still waiting!!! 😉

bobbyspangles

i found that i was riding with my sidis done up too tight. when loosened it alleviated the tingling.
    it can easily be caused by a compression on the navicular bone in the foot-i fitted ski boots and learnt alot about foot issues but i'm no exert just trying to help!

robdob
    Free Member

Hmmm. I'll try adjusting the shoes again but I can't have them much looser or my feet will come out!!!

I_Ache
    Free Member

The only SPD shoes that I use are Shimano DX I know they arnt exactly road shoes but I didn't want to buy more shoes.

tinsy
    Free Member

robdob, does it happen a lot faster when your really trying, or just when bimbling along?

I get a bit of it in one foot but not the other, its because I do some weird toe curling thing when I am really pushing, like I am trying to grip with my feet or somthing, as soon as I back off I realize my toes are a bit numb but it shakes out straight away.

PP, maybe your doing the toe curling thing too in your normal shoes and flats, might be an involuntary thing as you normally used to your feet being attached??

bobbyspangles

it is not about how tight the straps are, it is more about wether the shoe fits 🙂 across the width of your forefoot and isnt compressing your toes.
    unfortunately cycling shoes are not usually fitted correctly in the first place! i might suggest superfeets orthotics as they do a cycle specific footbed.
    hope it gets better

robdob
    Free Member

I only bimble along anyway! It happens in both feet the same. If I really back off a lot it does reduce a bit.

robdob
    Free Member

I do have very bad plantar fascyitus (sp?) so I did think of sone footbeds. I did think about some Spesh shoes as they do get a reputation as being uber comfortable.

younggeoff

Superfeet insoles in mine solved the problem.

tinsy
    Free Member

I do have very bad plantar fascyitus (sp?)

sounds nasty can you get some cream or something.. 🙂

bobbyspangles
    bobbyspangles

whoops! fail

null

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Robdog, loosen the front straps, leave the one near your ankle tight – might stop your foot shifting forwards in the shoe – could be the cause.

robdob
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. I've loosened the straps a bit and it has reduced a lot. Which strap could be the cause, one nearest the toes, middle one or one nearest ankle?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I need help! My feet are going……’ is closed to new replies.