Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I need advice for an upgrade from a Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t
  • fitzzzy
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I want to upgrade the factory fitted cassette on my 2010 Specialized FSR XC Pro from a Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t. I am doing my own research too but would really appreciate any advice. Not sure on budget but probaby will go mid-range.

Northwind

First, use it til it’s dead.

SLX is the common sense option IMO- it’s not much heavier than XT, shifts just as well, and is that bit less expensive. If you’re weight-obsessed though, what you can do is buy an XT one, then once it’s finished with keep the lockring- a good chunk of the weight saving between SLX and XT comes from the alu lockring!

z1ppy

First, use it til it’s dead

+1 Nowt wrong with deore cassettes, if you looking to upgrade, spend you money elsewhere.

andyl
    Free Member

aye ride it until it dies – unless you fitting some aluminium freehub wheels in which case you need to get rid.

The first upgragde is the HG61 which will lose you about 50g if sticking with the 11-34T. Next is the SLX one and then the XT one. I always opt for the SLX one being the best value/weight. I get them from german stores as they are cheaper even with postage and then order some other cheap stuff along with them. I just picked up an SLX 11-34 for my 29er for £26 from Actionsports.de which is a lot cheaper than anywhere in the UK unfortunately.

bellerophon
    Free Member

Or you could try secondhand, I just bought an XT cassette for £9.00 posted… looked alright in the photo 🙂 I’ll find out when I get it.

Either way, use yours until it’s dead

fitzzzy
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. Think I’ll leave it for now..although the bargain German option might sway it!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’ll need a chain if you do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I need advice for an upgrade from a Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 11-34t’ is closed to new replies.