Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • i need a workstand…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

well, need or want…. who cares?

should i go for something like LIDLs offering fopr 25€

(http://www.lidl.de/de/Fahrradanhaenger-staender/POWERFIX-Fahrrad-Montagestaender)

something a little more substantial looking from LIDL

(http://www.lidl.de/de/Fahrradanhaenger-staender/Profex-Fahrrad-Montagestaender-PROFI)

or with a “reputable” brand such as Park Tool (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5787) (can be had for 99€ from Hibike.de?

i’m not going to be using it daily, just for the odd fettle and very occasional build.

are the LIDL stands up to the job? it’s a nigh-on 75€ saving over the cheapest Park Tool offering.

or does any one have anything they could suggest?

cheers

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have one of these: http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/workshop-tools/workshop/workstands/bike-tools-workstand-1.html

I’ve been repeatedly told that it’s not up to the job however it’s done three years of tinkering now including pretty much every job I can ever imagine doing on a bike and is still completely solid. The tools that come with it aren’t the best in the world but have done their jobs perfectly well. I’d struggle to justify spending more.

Northwind

Merlin had the Minoura ones on sale again the other day- very good, not the smallest but solid and stable. Better than the foldy Park ones IMO.

alpin
    Free Member

it needs to be folding as as much as the GF loves me and puts up with wheels balanced on top of cupboardsand bikes on the balcony i don’t think she’ll be over the moon with a permanent feature in the corner of the room.

john57
    Free Member

I got the one from LIDL a few weeks ago and I think you will be amazed at the quality for the price.Alot of the members on retrobike site have also got it.For the price they can not be beaten.You will not be disapointed.Regards John.

Northwind

Mmm, the Minoura one folds flat but it’s still quite bulky, probably not hte best option for you then.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have had the blue lidl one for about 2 years. Its ok for a DIY work stand. I have used the park stands one you linked to and I don’t think its significantly better. Unless you for an expensive workshop quality stand (http://www.kestrelcyclestands.co.uk/) they are all a bit wobbly, but will get the job done.

Muke
    Free Member

Seen on a popular camping forum…

Most satellite Dish stands/tripods only elevate your dish to 1m, which is fine for most situations, but I found myself needing a little extra height for my satellite dish, when down in the South of France, earlier this month.

I could get Astra1 at 19Deg East, but the lower down Astra2 (Sky/Freesat) satellite at 28Deg East was slightly obscured by trees at the campsite.

So today I have bought a Lidl “Powerfix Profi Bike Workstand” it makes for the perfect satellite dish stand, and allows you to rotate the dish, with ease.

Also should the need arise you can elevate your dish to almost 1.9m.

The stand is over engineered for satellite use, as it will take upto 30kg, no harm in that of course.

Well done Lidl for a £29.99 bargain.

Can also fix bikes with it when not watching TV lol.

I’m very impressed with the Lidl stand I purchased, not sure how I managed without one before.

parkesie
    Free Member

Lidl stand is ace had it 2 years the rotating head can be locked out simply with a bolt.

johnnyc

The Park stand folds down a bit, but it’s still really bulky. If storage of the stand was an issue, I’d avoid that one.

adyp
    Free Member

I impulse purchased a Feedback Sports Pro Elite whilst on a trip to the States last year. (about $200) and it’s the mutt’s nuts. Light, stable, folds easily, and has a really easy to use ratcheting clamp. A joy to use, and with 8 bikes in the family it gets used a lot!!

jonny-m
    Free Member

Wouldn’t get the park one if I were you. Death trap… Weighs a tonne. And has trapped my fingers, and swung round caught me more time than I can remember.

ransos
    Free Member

I have the £30 LIDL one – it’s much more stable than the Minoura one I had before, and folds up smaller too.

teamslug
    Free Member

Got a Lidl one last time they were in store. Amazing quality for the price. Rotating head seems to be only prob but will be easily sorted with a bolt.

freeagent
    Free Member

LIDL one here – I’d say it is everything all but the keenest of home mechanics could ever need…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ribble are selling one for about £57, same as the x-tools one on CRC. Folds away to the size of a sleeping mat and very sturdy.

Only complaint is the clamp seems to have more of a V-section than the cam on the lever can accomodate. i.e. if you open the jaws to accept a tube through the opening, then flip the lever to clamp it, it’s not enough to grab the frame so you have to spin the lever a couple of turns then clamp it.

bones76
    Free Member

I’m also looking for a work stand, and have been told to check out a stand called the OD-POD, i’m still unsure about this stand as can’t come across anyone who has used or bought one! but they were advertised other week on singletrack!

At the moment i am using a friends stand made by a company called revoultion, but am sure its a design used by other company’s that just put there name onto it, not a bad work stand though, so would recommened to others…

stavromuller
    Free Member

I make the OdPod but it’s not really been designed as a true workstand, more for pre ride support and fettling and post ride cleaning however the lovely people that have bought them seem very pleased with them. Checkout http://www.od-designs.co.uk

bones76
    Free Member

Thanks for that, will check it out…

alpin
    Free Member

ordered the Lidl one…. 28€ inc. delivery.

will update in due course….

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘i need a workstand…..’ is closed to new replies.