Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I need a new NAS and it's black Friday any recomendations to look out for?
  • dvatcmark
    Free Member

At title I need a new NAS, nothing fancy just a couple of TB that sits on the network for file sharing/media.

I’ve got a buffalo at the moment and the main thing that annoys me is that the drives run all the time when we only use it for a couple of hours a day tops, so id like soemthing with a powersaving mode.

Looking on ebuyer etc, Synology seem to get good reviews but I’m well out of touch with computing these days so any advice would be appreciated.

petrieboy

This Is relevant to my interests – subscribed

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m a fan of synology so yeah one of those 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

Synology all the way for me. Excellent bits of hardware, regular firmware updates, great apps and functionality straight out the box.

Mine is plugged in upstairs out the way so I never see it or hear it, it just works and keeps on working.

yosemitepaul

Interested in this too. Yes, I probably need Synology. I need something for home use. Perhaps a 216j.
    Any advice?

dannybgoode

I am considering a NAS too and would go the Synology route without a shadow of a doubt. If anyone sees a good deal on one do share!

ratadog

Another vote for Synology and 2 disks of your choice.

prettygreenparrot

Synology. The DS416Play is the one I’d buy if I were in the market for a new one. I have a DS414. It’s great.

If it’s just a few TB you’re after then the DS216Play would be neat. If you don’t need transcoding and it’s just for storage and file access then the DS216.

Aside from a couple of iffy software updates, I’ve found the Synology rock solid and almost a delight to administer. The software update problems are easily dealt with by either rolling back, or just waiting a week or two until they issue a fix.

cranberry
    Free Member

Qnap TS212 is good – very good OS and easy to administer. Will be plenty powerful enough for storing data and streaming films and music. More expensive models would be a better idea if you want to start transcoding films with, for example, Plex.

There is a live demo of the operating system that you can play around with here:
    https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/support/con_show.php?cid=8

EDIT – the TS-231 isn’t much more in the grand scheme of things and more powerful, so if you can afford it it would make a better choice.

Sandwich

Synology for ease of use, the interface is great. If you like tinkering with the command line Qnap stuff is ok. (My experience of wanting a local archive of old email accessible from the mail client).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I need a new NAS and it's black Friday any recomendations to look out for?’ is closed to new replies.