Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I need a new helmet for offroad stuff
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I could do with a new helmet. I’ve got a specialized S2 that is use for commuting but its got front and rear lights on it that are a faff to remove. I have a kask vertigo for road use but need a new mtb helmet.

I’d rather keep the kask for road work and I’m not that happy with the retention mechanism on the kask which interferes with glasses arms so don’t want another kask.

So far I like the look of the IXS Trail RS, POC Trabec Race, Giro Xar and Catlike Leaf, which is pretty light.

Anyone got any of the above or others to look at/try on?

coogan
    Free Member

Have an iXS Trail for also a year now. Love it. Fit’s my head great, comfy and BLUE. Has a long visor, took me a wee while to get used to it in my vision, but don’t even notice it now.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh read a review which did mention the length of the peak, not so sure I’d want that.

nickdavies

I’ve just got the IXS trail, I think it’s a cracking lid with great coverage but mainly that’s down to fit which won’t be the same for everyone.

Peak is good for me but I can see why some would find it too long.

POC was nice but didn’t fit as well and was twice the price. Not tried the other 2 in your list. The Urge AM gets good reviews and i’ve got a mate who’s got one and likes it, bargain for £35 from CRC but I think it looks a bit odd…. 😉

jonathan
    Free Member

There’s some good deals around on the Met Kaos at the moment – I’ve got the UL version and really like it, although the gel forehead pad can leave a bit of an impression after a long ride.

Very light and well vented for an “AM” lid.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh the Urge does look a bit odd. Looks like one of those goggle jackets 🙂

orena45

I’ve got the IXS Trail. Nice helmet, looks good, retention system is good. Only issue for me is that my head is right between the sizing (58cm round head). The small/medium wouldn’t fit on my head at all so have the large which only just cinches down small enough to not wobble too much. At the moment, riding with a buff on it’s not an issue but it’s only just not too wobbly without.

wl
    Free Member

Giro Hex – under £30 if you shop around and have a pin head like me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As a temporary filler, I bought a Spesh Tactic II. It’s surprisingly good! Same fit as your current helmet, too.

NormalMan

Like CFH I have also recently bought a Tactic II. It was to replace my tired old Xen. The fit is excellent and doesn’t knock the arms of my riding glasses like the Xen did.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Specialized and Giro both worth adding to the lest

singlesteed
    Free Member

Interesting as I too am in the market…

Tried on a Troy Lee Drone which felt amazing fit just as the IXS Trail RS did too.

The Troy covered more of the neck than the IXS but heard it doesn’t vent well due to it missing a side vent each side which I guess gives a stronger shell.?

Then there’s the Bell Super with option of a chin bar. Looks ok and would be super safe with flexy chin bar to absorb and dissapate crash stress.
    Video on PB site.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh I had a look at the bell super on crc but none of the images show the straps which is odd. I didn’t look at the video though. Maybe a bit too full face stylee though. The troy lee doesn’t really do it for me.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Yeah thats what I thought about the bell. But its more an extra security add on for what was/is just riding rather than DH discipline.

Option of Bell at £70 30% off that is without chin bar and iirc comes with mips as standard…?

torihada
    Free Member

Yeah thats what I thought about the bell. But its more an extra security add on for what was/is just riding rather than DH discipline.
    Option of Bell at £70 30% off that is without chin bar and iirc comes with mips as standard…?

I fancied new Bell Super with MIPS. Had a feel of one in the States. Thought £70 was a bit steep (only on my return realised the MIPS version is about £120 on CRC. Doh!). I still like the look of it: good rear coverage, like the styling, go pro mount and the MIPS sounds promising. I’d buy it at £70.

wiggles
    Free Member

As a few above have said the spesh tactic is good bought one as a cheap replacement for my smashed giro feature and it surprisingly good. Got a bell super 2R MIPS on order so the spesh will be the backup when that arrives…

But all this is useless unless you try them on so go buy one from a shop where you can see how it fits.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve got the Catlike Leaf. Very happy with it. It’s cool and comfy. It looks good and comes in Enduro colours(!).

darrenspink
    Free Member

The best advice I have is to go and try some on.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh that’s what I will be doing. Catlike Leaf looks great for the money though

nuke

Im after a Catlike Leaf but getting hold of one is trickier as retailers of them are lacking…well unless you want fluro green 😐

Gary_M
    Free Member

Merlin have it in red, which I don’t like and this, which I do, kind of.

bimster29
    Free Member

I recently bought a Catlike Leaf in green when my old Giro E2 fell apart. Nice and bright and doesn’t look as bad as you would think, although the abuse I received from a drunk: “Hero in a halfshell – Turtle Power” as I rode passed one evening may tell a different story!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I need a new helmet for offroad stuff’ is closed to new replies.