Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I need* a new bike….
  • jackal
    Free Member

*want

So in my never ending quest for a new drop bar bike and in true stw style I want you to recommend to me what I need 🙂

I’m 100% a mountain biker at heart so let’s get that out the way first.
    I’ve owned a Ridley Xbow, a Lapierre Sensium and most recent a Colnago cx World Cup. The two cx bikes were ok but to me too compromised on road, I did enjoy the odd off road excursion though. The Sensium I really enjoyed riding on road and loved the speed aspect but obviously couldn’t do the odd bridleway/shortcut/off road section etc, so that got sold to make way for a newer DH bike…

So I’m looking for a drop bar/gravel/endurance/cx bike that with a change of tyres would be quick on the road (ie light, not too high a bb etc) but also able to cope with some off road too and with proper tyre clearance….

I’m going to be buying from my lbs whom deal with Scott, Genesis, Lapierre, Merida, Marin and Nukeproof. I’ve got a few models out of those I’m keen on but would like some second opinions and ideas please.

Also feel free to just recommend what you have even if it’s nothing like what I’m after 🙂

Cheers.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

You need a Kona Roadhouse. Cos I want one.

greentricky
    Free Member

In terms of recommend what you have, GT Grade, it goes great on the road, max tyre clearance is 35mm though for off roady stuff. I have the alloy which is good but if you can afford it the carbon is meant to be great and on the road holds its own with the sportive machines

frankconway

Lynskey cooper cx – just buy the frame and then spec it as you want it.

2017 model allows you to switch between qr & thru-axle.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fast bike that can go off road a bit?

🙂

orangespyderman

Get a better mountain bike and you’ll not need to ride on the road for cheap thrills 😆

jackal
    Free Member

Haha yes ojspiderman, of all the mtbs I’ve owned and ridden over the last 20 years there’s always something better. The point is though I’m not looking for that mountain bike buzz, if I wanted that I’d erm, well, go on one of my mountain bikes. I’m looking for something that can easily do a 100 mile road ride but also do a quick spin on the local disused railway tracks, a loop round round a tame trail centre etc etc, and prob also do the odd ride to work too.

jackal
    Free Member

CFH what is it you’re riding?

curto80
    Free Member

Scott Addict Gravel is the bike you’re looking for

timb34
    Free Member

Looked at this a bit recently.

If you look at “allroad” or gravel race bikes then they’ll be good on road and take up to about 35mm tyres so be really good on towpaths/fireroads, so the Diverge, Addict Gravel, Pinnacle Arkose and so on.

If you want to push the limits further into light trail use but still have something OK on the road then there isn’t much choice, as the overlap with a proper mountain bike gets in the way… but to have something that really goes everywhere then people seem to recommend up to 40mm clearance (basically so you can fit WTB Nanos in 700c x 40).

The nicest looking options are the Open U.P. and the Rodeo Trail Donkey… but they are both very expensive just for the frame. Other options might be the 2017 Arkose (larger clearance) or the Sonder El Camino (but that’s firmly an adventure bike and I haven’t seen any reviews talking about how it is on the road)

tillydog
    Free Member

I’m looking for something that can easily do a 100 mile road ride but also do a quick spin on the local disused railway tracks, a loop round round a tame trail centre etc etc, and prob also do the odd ride to work too

Wot CFH said. That^ is exactly what I do with mine.

jackal
    Free Member

Scott addict cx (appears to be same frame/geometry as gravel version) is one of the ones I like the look of but prob a bit too spendy.

What bike is it tillydog?

Ideally I’d want it from one of the brands listed above unless my lbs can order alternative stuff in.

jackal
    Free Member

Anyone tried the Genesis carbon Vapour?
    Looks pretty good, will also take up to 40c tyres. With some tweaks to the gearing could be decent or am i looking at something too cx focused again?

teadrinker
    Free Member

It’s a Diverge isn’t it?

How about an Orbea Terra? You can buy direct as well.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXBm7iZd6lk&feature=iv&src_vid=cXZm8_JJqD4&annotation_id=channel%3A58c6e9c5-0000-218a-b837-94eb2c065064[/video]

curto80
    Free Member

I believe Scott do their Gravel bike in an alloy version which is a lot cheaper than the Addict – speedster I think it’s called.

tillydog
    Free Member

What bike is it tillydog?

Diverge DSW.

Brakes are a bit pants, but the rest is ace.

Goes very well on the road and better than you might expect off road.

Ogwen

ravingdave

In true ARE recommend what you own. I have a Genesis Croix De Fer. Excels at the sort of thing you want to do. Reynolds Steel framr and fork keep it comfy too

jackal
    Free Member

I’d considered a croix a few years back but I think the weight puts me off a little, I’ve never had an extended ride on one though and I hear they ride nice. I assume the CDA and the datum would be similar but lighter?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jackal, it’s this,

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/someone-wanted-pics-of-my-diverge-with-mudguards

It’s at the fast end of the gravel spectrum, rather than the knobbly gnar end of it.

This, basically

something that can easily do a 100 mile road ride but also do a quick spin on the local disused railway tracks, a loop round round a tame trail centre etc etc, and prob also do the odd ride to work too

jerrys
    Free Member

One of these ? Only ‘cos I have one. Don’t think it comes into the ‘light’ category though = certainly not as light as CFH’s divvy, which felt about half the weight.

Currently with 40c WTB Nanos from Planet X on a second set of wheels (other wheels have 37c Vittoria Hypers on for more roadie type pootling)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Woodhenge FTW!

All well, Jerry?

jerrys
    Free Member

Yes thank you Flashers 🙂

Long time no see. Any special appearances soon? 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Last guest appearance was a couple of months ago. Will try and remember if/when there’s another!

jerrys
    Free Member

I must wander into the friendly Salisbury bike emporium that you and I frequent, CFH, and enquire about some tubeless 29er wheels for the Vaya for some more gnarly adventures. I’m paranoid that the nanos will never come off if I puncture them as they were a bu$$er to get on.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I need* a new bike….’ is closed to new replies.