Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I need a new 9 speed chain….. which one?
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

Just been reading the web and it seems there’s loads of differences and no difference at all. Using shimano deore running gear so leaning towards shimano hg93 (with kmcpower link)_over the kmc x93 but seems more reports of shimano breaking even though made by kmc possibly.

Should I stick with shimano or is KMC generally ‘better’ with no downside on shimano cassette etc? Experiences or simple preferences welcome 🙂

Ps I appear to have lost 3 powerlinks – anybody got them?

wiggles
    Free Member

sram

johnnystorm

I’ve been using the £5 Selcof chains that OnOne were selling. Sadly they’re out of stock. I’ll probably go for one of the SRAM ones they’ve got for £9. On my commuter/winter bike I’ve gone through enough of the things to reach the conclusion it makes bugger all difference. YMMV.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Personal taste, however I think KMC chains are excellent with Shimano or Sram drivetrains.

If it was my money then I’d buy a KMC X9L chain.

amedias
    Free Member

Personally on a 9sp bike with mostly deore running gear I wouldn’t be looking past an HG53 (~£7) or a Sram PC951 (~£10) if you’re one of those people that hates Shimano chains (for whatever real or perceived reason).

austy
    Free Member

I have always had kmc chains on my bikes only broke on a singlespeed bike one side place snapped but still got me home on the other.
    I would hope with x9-73 for the price.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Wipperman Connex, power link of the gods, strong as steel.

transporter13
    Free Member

Whichever is cheapest when i need one….normally deore

jekkyl

Kmc chains are the biz

deepreddave
    Free Member

Cheers all. No consensus but kmc are edging it.

onlysteel
    Free Member

KMC every time.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If there’s been any good tests on longevity I’d trust those (and nothing any individual says from experience on wear/breaking).

Shiney ones don’t rust!

mendippete
    Free Member

stop being such a dumb ass and just by a 7 speed chain 🙄

Onzadog
    Free Member

How about one chain made of equal lengths of sram, shimano and kmc. Then run it for 6 months and see which section is most rusty and most worn.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lol, great idea

Onzadog
    Free Member

Should we do that at a select price point or top of the rant from each manufacturer?

deepreddave
    Free Member

Oooh I like the 3 manufacture’s chain as I relish being a chain text guinea pig. I like to use all the rear cassette so am inclined to stick with a 9 speed. Kmc is still winning I think.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Opted for the KMC x93 in the end. Was wondering if this was essentially the same as the shimano hg93 but without the powerlink as that’s £6 cheaper (£3 for a powerlink). Too late now tho and happy to see how it goes.
    Bought from the LBS too but no cakes being eaten whilst I was in :(.

judderman
    Free Member

No cakes! Take it back & demand a refund

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Shimano chains noooooooooooooooooooooo 😯

I run a KMC 10.93 now i’ve left 9 speed setup, use the wipperman powerlink with it, perfect combo. So far so good, very quiet quality chain.

mattyfez

I recently got a kmc x9. 93, very pleased with it and it comes with a removable link.

rocketman
    Free Member

^^ this

Onzadog
    Free Member

Strong as steel? What are they made of? 🙄

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I need a new 9 speed chain….. which one?’ is closed to new replies.