Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • I need a hardtail frame on the super cheap
  • molgrips
    Free Member

As cheap as possible, and to that end it must fit all the stuff from my 2007 Orange 5. So 120-140mm forks, 27.2 seatpost etc.

Don’t mind second hand either.

br
    Free Member

On One or take a look at CRC bargain frames?

cp

on one 456.

You’ll just need some shimano shims for the front mech clamp. Other than that, it should all go on.

sobriety
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

£200 for a 456 or £140 for an Inbred. How do they compare? The forks are Revs, I think they go down to 110mm actually. Suitable do we think?

Sunn also look nice. How do they compare to On one? Ideally I’d like something that rides similarly to the 5.

airbus387
    Free Member

Have a look at a on one 456 frame 😀 cheap as chips but i hear good reports about the frame for the money.

woody2000

Size?

cp

456 much better for that fork travel. Normal inbred gets too slack and wandery for me above 100mm.

You’d need a new seat clamp too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Orange is 18″, usually medium territory. I’m 5’11.

choron
    Free Member

I’ve got a barely used 456 18″ that I could do with shifting: £100 posted including seatclamp and FSA headset.

Email in profile if you’re interested.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooooh.. yes… ygm (in a minute)

carlosg
    Free Member

If your really desperate I’ve got a 20″(I think) GT Aggressor frame you can have for nowt (Leeds area)

GW
    Free Member

I’ve got an 18″ one you can have for £20.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Have you broke your 5 molgrips?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, 5 is fine. I am thinking that if I were to use the train to travel for work, a hardtail would suit the ride to and from the station much better than a 5.

Although.. maybe a 456 would be too short and upright to be any different to the 5…

GW – what’s it like?

GW
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s a Tempest (was getting mixed up as I have a 16″ agressor and 18″ Tempest)
    it’s like this one..

I’ve only ridden it once, one lady owner before me (a friend and it had v. light use)

40mpg

Just posted a whippet frame for sale in classifieds, £175 inc seatpost, headset, bb. Takes upto 120mm forks.

druidh
    Free Member

GW – Member – Block User – Quote
    Sorry, it’s a Tempest (was getting mixed up as I have a 16″ agressor and 18″ Tempest)
    it’s like this one..

Careful!! We know where this “it’s like this one” posts end up, and GW is a Real Man!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. the Whippet could be interesting… it’s basically an XC race bike isn’t it?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Try tpbiker who’s on about hacksawing his 456 in another thread!

40mpg

it’s basically an XC race bike isn’t it?

Yes. No bones about it, its light, fast and stiff. Only trouble is it’ll get you to work early 😉

GW
    Free Member

GW – Member – Block User –

please do

Northwind

If you want cheap, and for some reason you don’t want GW’s, I could do you my Carrera Kraken inc headset for £40 posted or £25 collected (Edinburgh). It’s a surprisingly nice frame, built for 120mm- I was using it as a rigid xc/occasional race bike til the end of the year but it’s going spare now I’ve got my Soda to build up, and a real shame to be hanging on the garage wall.

dyna-ti

Just keep looking on ebay filtered to used buy it now
    Picked up a 2011 19″ orange pure 7 a couple of weeks ago,complete with mechs,alivio chainset in reasonably good condition,raceface post and bell air saddle .Frame is in excellent condition as is most of the rest of the parts
    £99 bin

teenrat

GW, if the OP doesn’t want the frame, would you be willing to post to Pembrokeshire?

GW
    Free Member

Don’t see why not teen rat. the frame’s already boxed 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

GW what size seatpost etc, and what kind of condition? How old is it?

GW
    Free Member

good condition, no dents, cracks but a few paint scuffs from transportation/storage. it was mainly used to ride to stables and back and by it’s previous (female owner) for family rides. I’ve only ridden it one mile then stripped it or parts.
    not sure on the exact age, late 90s/early 00s? can find out if you really need exact year.
    frame will work well with your fork wound down but horribly with it wound out (but then, so does a 456 😉 )

porter_jamie

i have an 18″ 456 in blue that i dont need any more. black hope headset.

27.2 seatpost.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium NS Surge frame for sale inc. headset & seatclamp – take a look and see what you think!
    Cheers

tpbiker
    Free Member

as above…I have a brand new 456 18 inch just waiting to be cut in two by my hamfisted good self using a cheap hacksaw..

alternatively you can buy it from me if you wish….

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘I need a hardtail frame on the super cheap’ is closed to new replies.