Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I need a fast route from Alford to BP, arrive 7am
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

One for the Aberdeenshire crowd.

Tried via Kemnay/A96/Marshall trailers, Blackburn ‘back way’. Is it worth going Westhill/Kingswells/ etc?

tiggs121
    Free Member

Leave earlier and go the way you know?

Jake25

Try the link bellow. It may not be any faster but you never know till you try. It avoids the worse traffic bottle necks but you will still hit some.
    Alford to BP via Kingswells

metalheart
    Free Member

Jakes route is probably about the best you’ll get.

The answer however is leave earlier.

Arriving anywhere near after 7.30am will hit ‘rush hour’ traffic.

I used to commute from Insch into the centre of town and I tried all ways. Ended up leaving earlier (7.00am at the very latest) and coming in the A96 in the end….

gonefishin
    Free Member

I agree that Jakes route is probably your best bet but be aware that the road into Dyce can be busy think 30 mins to get along the A947 on that map to the BP office.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Helicopter.

Jake25

What gonefishin says is right, I often see traffic backed up there as I go round the roundabout to head off to Bridge of Don. I normally get to the roundabout at 7:30 though so I don’t know what it is like earlier.

Jake25

good call Cultsdave I hadn’t thought about that 🙂

As long as you avoid the Airport area you will be faster anyway, whatever route you pick.

grantyboy
    Free Member

cut up at Kirkton on Skene on the B979 on the dueller A96. Miss out Westhill as it bottle necks with the new industrial estate and the current roadworks at Kingswells Roundabout.

I live in Westhill and work in Kirkhill beside BP. B979 is how I cut over to the industrial estate. Takes me 20 mins to get to work.

When your heading home cut over Pitmedden road into Blackburn, then the same route back if your going back to Alford.

HTH

Grant

grantyboy
    Free Member

this is the ultimate rat run into BP, but I don’t know how to get Google maps to save the ammended route

bruneep

what tiggs says just leave earlier than you would, get a coffee once there.

stabilizers

If speed is the most important factor then Grantyboy is probably best. if you want a route that you are going to do long term avoiding the worst of the traffic I would go Kemnay, Kintore, Hatton of Fintry then along the B977 into Dyce the back way.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Thanks for those useful replies.

I set off at 6;15, which means a 5;15 alarm. It’s slowly doing me in. I keep going to bed earlier and earlier but sometimes you have to stay up past 9pm if you want to do anything on a weekday evening! The dark, wet, cold, icy drive each way is also really getting me down!

Ideally I need to move closer – any mtber-friendly rooms to rent? Ideally within cycling distance.

EDIT; I didn’t know you could go through the golf course!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Unless you have a 4×4 dont bother trying grantyboys route on snow days . Back side of brimmond drifts really bad.

Ive towed a couple of beached cars out my way up there…..

Ive also watched cars slide down the hill at the golf course and straight across the road into the ditch at craibstone.

But that is pretty much my route to drive when in the office at dyce.

dragon
    Free Member

the current roadworks at Kingswells Roundabout

They’ve been finished.

I think I’d go cultsdave’s route, although I expect you’ll get stuck in Dyce whatever, as it is terrible for traffic.

bruneep

Can you not drive n cycle?

grantyboy
    Free Member

You can, that is how I cycle in as there is very little traffic. It’s small country roads that go past Brimmond Hill, then go through/just around the golf course then down through Craibstone Estate. Going through Craibstone is a bit cheeky though as you’re not meant to.
    If you see a guy on a green Kona Sutra, give him a high 5 😀

I don’t envy your commute with the weather changing. I would stick on the B979 to A96 and take the duller in when the weather does change.

Jake25

If you are looking for a move of house. Consider moving out to Ellon, Undy Station or anywhere else on the old Formartine railway line.
    Formartine Buchan Way
    You could cycle on that right into the heart of Dyce.

stabilizers

Penny drops….Your driving?
    Grantyboy still wins. Dont do my route. That’s for the bike.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tbh cycling past the bp carpark it wouldnt so much be getting to work that would bother me but leaving at 3.30-6.30 pm it looks very much like a queue to get out the carpark to travel im any direction.

When i drive i go to peterculter – via blackburn , kirkton of skene and garlogie ….it might not be the fastest but its the most consistant…… Sme days it can take an hour to get to bucksburn ….other days 10minutes. Ironically i can get to and from work quicker in the car from culter than when i lived in bucksburn !

Deveron53
    Free Member

More great ideas, thanks!
    I have 2 passengers currently, soon to be one. It’s the one remaining passenger that needs to be at BP for 7am, I then go to Kirkhill via Farburn Terr and Wellheads and don’t have to be in until 7.30am. That leg of the journey is pretty clear at that time.
    I would love to park and ride and may consider leaving my car at BP then cycling round to Kirkhill. I did that for 2 months when I first started working in Dyce. I don’t have any showering or changing facilities at work though, which makes it awkward. The return journey home might be delayed though as it’ll be at least 4:15pm before I get to BP and then faff around putting the bike in the car (or lock it in the BP bike cage overnight, there’s an idea)
    If I could get my passenger to cycle from Kirkhill to BP that would be excellent but we’d need an even earlier start to absorb the extra time of bike locking, showering etc.
    Keep the ideas coming!

tiggs121
    Free Member

There won’t be a route that will save so much time that you’ll get a significantly longer lie in bed. With absolutely no traffic it would still take 25 mins ish. Looking to save 5 minutes isn’t making a huge difference…or is it?

Deveron53
    Free Member

It’s just that a pre-7am arrival will mean the BP passenger will be able to exit dead on 4pm and then we can make a run for it! I can leave work at 3:45pm you see. The Aberdeen/Dyce traffic is so tidal, one area will be clear at 7am but chocka at 7:10am. I sometimes go to Maccy Ds for brekkie after dropping off at BP. I see the traffic starting to back up along Stoneywood Road towards the dual carriageway so I then go along the A96 to Kirkhill, eating as I go! So I know at 7:15am both routes are full.
    I was just trying to see if there was a ‘holy grail’ of a route through the gridlock.
    I’d love to park at Blackburn and ride over Tyrebagger but other than the shower issue, I don’t fancy nose to tail traffic charging up behind me at 60mph+ just as the ‘cycle lane’ (yeah, right!) disappears as I approach the summit! The other route via the back way from Blackburn to Dyce is even more dangerous. Riding through the forest would be ace but it’s a long way and I’d get klarted.

bruneep

yes we have a lot to thank our useless council leaders for, they agree to building masses of housing and more offices yet the road infrastructure isnt evolved to keep pace. We keep getting told the WPR (city bypass) will solve all our problems. pfffft!

Deveron53
    Free Member

It will! In 2018!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I need a fast route from Alford to BP, arrive 7am’ is closed to new replies.