• This topic has 25 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by accu.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • I need a chain guide for a 1×10 setup
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

Almost finished building up a whyte 905, awaiting delivery of a shifter and then im done, or at least i was until i suddenly thought about how the chian is going to fall off.

anyway its an slx m665 chainset with the inner ring removed and the bash ring left on, I thing im going to be wanting a chain guide to keep the chain on?

What chain device do u advise as i have no iscg tabs and its a screw in bb ( bb30 i think)

OR will it be cheaper/better to just put the inside ring on and get a new front mech?

Theres not many hill round here and a 36front ring with an 11-34 rear will be plenty of gears.

johnnystorm

Have a look on superstar for a cheap top guide that’ll fit on BB or Seat tube. Or perhaps have a look at the Bionicon that Charlie the bikemonger sells.

backtothetop
    Free Member

i have a bionicon on my full suss and it does a great job, not to sure it would be suitable as an only chain guide, could do though, ill give it a go tomorrow.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I hav e a seat tube mounted e13 xcx-great job. Never dropped the chain yet.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

BB30 is pressfit, not ‘screw-in’

backtothetop
    Free Member

argh this is confusing, as i have 2 bikes with 2 different bb’s but both look the same from the outside, ive got a bb91 fitted to my giant trance x and a bb30 fitted to the whyte, i swear the whyte was screw in, only one way to find out and thats to remove it.

raisinhat
    Free Member

It should be fairly obvious what BB each of them has. If you look down at it and there are external cups with notches on then it’s a “normal” screw in type. If there aren’t any cups and the cranks are pushed almost right up against the shell then it’s a press fit.

As for chain guides, you’d be stuck with a seat tube mounted one if it’s a press fit BB, otherwise you can go for a BB mounted one. In either case, just get an e-thirteen XCX. Best top guide available, definitely worth the extra over the superstar ones.

backtothetop
    Free Member

right to wrap this up, the whyte 905 is fitted with a BB70 screw in, and the giant trance x is fitted with a BB71 press fit, I was thinking ofm y road bike when i said they both look the same.(as that has a screw in BB also)

However, when i bought the BB70 for the whyte, the shop sold it too me as a BB30!

anyway im sure no one really cares what BB is fitted to what bike by now but someone might find this by using the search function later on.

im now off to look for some kind of chain device for the whyte as i found out that the bionicon c.guide v2 is not enough to keep the chain on a single ring set up

ho ho ho
    merry christmas

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Paul’s Chain Keeper:

backtothetop
    Free Member

Thats exactly the sort of thing ive been thinking of.
    Thanks

somafunk

I have one of those Pauls component chain devices i’d be willing to sell if your interested?, 34.9mm seat tube size in good condition, as below, i also have a renthal 34tooth chainring as below

£35 for the Chain device and £30 for the Chainring or both for £60.

– both used for less than 40 km (one lap of Kirroughtree only) as i bought the new Hope chainring/bashring and Hope chain guide as below as i wanted to try them out before selling them in the shop.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I use a blackspire stinger on a single ring 36t works a treat. prb the cheapest out there.

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

The hope guide looks tidy but does it work without a bash? It doesn’t go over the chain like the Paul’s device does.

somafunk

It may work without a bashring?, if you fit it as close as possible to the chain (allowing for chain rise due to shifting up your rear cassette obviously) it should surely stop the chain bouncing off the top of the chainring, i dunno if that would be enough to compensate for any side to side bounce though.

I also use a Zee shadow+ rear mech with the above set-up.

zelak999
    Free Member

Hey Somafunk, do you rate the Hope chainring/bash and the chain guide?

somafunk

Yep………it’s simple, clean looking and most important of all my Hope chainring/bashring matches my Hope gold jockey wheels, i should’a bought a Hope gold ceramic bb instead of black but that may have been a bit too much bling located in one area, a bit like a slappers manicured bejazzelled muff……. looks good from a distance and draws your attention in but up close and personal it’s obviously trying too hard to be attractive.

On a more serious note i’ve not had any probs whatsoever with this set up, i’d heartily recommend it to anyone, the price may be a bit hard to stomach but for the amount of machining involved i consider it’s a bargain, especially compared to some of the chain guides that are similar priced and moulded out of plastic.

Have i mentioned it’s gold? 😀

takisawa2

I’ve used the Superstar BB mount one a fair bit. Once set up it just goes about its business quietly & without fuss.
    I’ve tried the seat tube mounted one too, but wouldnt recomend it. The clamp is just way too fragile. The Pauls one is nice but a bit pricey.

robarnold
    Free Member

Somafunk are those Middleburn Hollowtech cranks you’re running?

backtothetop
    Free Member

somafunk-ive only just seen your offer, is it still available?
    Im interested at £35.

weeksy

takisawa2 – Member
    I’ve used the Superstar BB mount one a fair bit. Once set up it just goes about its business quietly & without fuss.
    I’ve tried the seat tube mounted one too, but wouldnt recomend it. The clamp is just way too fragile. The Pauls one is nice but a bit pricey.

I’ve used the ST mounted Superstar one at trailcentres without issue.

chiefgrooveguru

somafunk, does that Hope chain guide come with shims to fit smaller seat tubes? Or is it in different sizes?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Any e.13 guide you can fit will be great. Avoid MRP especially if it’s got a pulley (mine was no end of hassle and ripped itself apart, though that was 2×10 at the time, which I’m convinced doesn’t take to guides well).

Key really I feel is a top guide. With 1×10 you can get a narrow guide that ensures it will never be coming off the top and the hope is it won’t roll off the bottom but tension is key there.

An alternative option – a clutch mech.

Though I’d pair a clutch with a top guide, but you may not need a pulley. Depends what you ride though. I could ride loads of XC with just a top guide, but hitting gnarlier trails and certainly DH I had the chain off all the time so ended up with a clutch mech but also the e.13 guide I got (TRS+ Single, lightweight, no bash) had a pulley too. I’m undecided if I’ll keep the pulley on though. A little noisy but the full sus drivetrain picks up like a hardtail or even single speed now which is great.

deadkenny
    Free Member

p.s. Charlie has a well recommended simple top guide too…

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/gusset-lil-chap–1x-chain-device-1×9-1×10-2805-p.asp

backtothetop
    Free Member

Hold on, that pauls chain keeper wont work with a bash will it, damn, i need one of those hope one i reckon

somafunk

robarnold : Yeah, they have a hollow axle attached to the non drive side crank with a bearing tension/preload lockring and fit the bottom bracket standard of 24mm ID, luvely bit of british engineering and i constantly sing the praises of them. I’ve had middleburn cranks fitted to all of my bikes since they first made an appearance back in 1993, only ever had one pair develop a problem and that was a set of the very first square tapers that developed a hairline crack on the taper shoulder but they had done 60,000+ miles over the course of 12 years and 3 different bike builds, needless to say middleburn replaced them without question – top service.

backtothetop : Nah, it won’t work wi a bash ring, sounds like you need the hope version.

chiefgrooveguru : they come in different sizes and i have the low mount version, the high mount version sits further up the seat tube and drops the guide down to the level of the chainring.

accu
    Free Member

looking for an online shop which has the hope low clamp chain guide in stock ..
    CRC will have them back in stock around christmas…that`s too short before my holydays..

any help will be appreciated …

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘I need a chain guide for a 1×10 setup’ is closed to new replies.