Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I need a bike rack, recommendations please
  • ste_t
    Free Member

In need of a bike rack for the car, latest model VW Polo 5 door, no roof rail fixing points. Official VW kit with a couple of bike carriers was scandalous and the Thule kit comes in at best part of £300.

With that in mind, looking for a rear mounted rack for 2 or 3 bikes. Under £100 but as decent quality as possible.

Seen this on Merlin, any thoughts?

Hollywood 3

Any recommendations much appreciated

DaveRambo

I had a Hollywood rack, similar but not the same as that.

Quality was good, but I just didn’t get on with the strap to the back of the car style. If you have a plastic bumper I’d reconsider.

I’d also re-consider the approach of going cheap (under £100). I carried > £5k worth of bikes on mine and felt very nervous for most of the trips but nothings ever fell off.

I currently have a Seasucker and am much more confident with it.

slackboy

I like the Saris Bones models – I think they’re really easy to fit and store.

the bones 2 and bones 3 both fit your polo

Go outdoors have the grey saris bones 3 for £99.99 at the moment
    Saris Bones 3, usually around £110. The bones 2 is around £90

Sundayjumper

Thule. Keep an eye on ebay and you’ll get the feet & rails quite cheap, worst case is you’ll have to buy the appropriate adaptor new.

Thule stuff works, and lasts forever.

dknwhy

I’ve got a Saris Bones Rs 3 you can have for £80.
    Its a couple of years old but in perfect working order.
    Collection from Croydon. It’s this one.
    Whichever rack you buy, I’d recommend heli-taping the boot lid on all points where the hooks go.

csb

With a rack that hangs bikes low over the lights you’ll need a lightboard, and connections, so pricey. I got a Mont Blanc high level rack from Argos that avoids this, but as above was afraid of ‘plopped on’ racks, so added a 5m ratchet strap around the whole lot ,bikes and all, tethered round my roof rails. You could achieve the same through the car doors.

ste_t
    Free Member

Didn’t consider the prospect of marking the paint/bumpers which wouldn’t be ideal given that the car is on contract hire.

Looks like I’ll be keeping an eye on ebay for the moment – the full pack brand new (excluding bike holder,) is £147 on there so hopefully should get second hand comfortably under £100.

Is the standard bike carrier any good or is the pro the one to go for?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I need a bike rack, recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.