Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • I need a B&B in Scotland, but they're all full!
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Left it too late to book somewhere for the night before our ferry crossing from Uig (Skye) to Lochmaddy (Uist) in august.
    Anyone know of a good family-friendly B&B or hostel between Fort William and Uig?

Everywhere I’ve tried so far is full….

peterfile
    Free Member

If you’re up for a wee bit of an adventure….take a wander out to The Lookout at Rubha Hunish?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That does look very cool, but doesn’t really work as an overnight stopoff with a family of 4 (including 2 and 6 year old) after 7 hours in the car.

When they’re older, perhaps…

peterfile
    Free Member

Ah…ok 🙂

Have you tried AirBnB?

Isles of Glencoe is actually pretty reasonable and large (by W highland hotel standards), so might have availability, and would give the kids a chance to play in a pool after a long day in the car. You could probably get a family room. It’s not amazing, but it’s on your route (i’m assuming you’re coming up the A82 to Ft Bill?), not often fully booked and has a pool (a rarity in the NW!).

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks Peterfile.
    Isles of Glencoe looks good (and has availibility), but is a bit too far south. Need to be in Uig for 9am the following day.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Wee bit more upmarket than a hostel but The Glenelg Inn is a nice spot – you can also get the wee ferry straight from there over onto Skye too, saving a detour up and over the bridge.

Glenuig Inn is also really nice, but a wee bit further South (en route to the ferry at Mallaig though)

irc

9am ferry. You want to be on Skye or a dawn start will needed. Have you tried any of the independent hostels? There is 9 on Skye.

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ferryis 9:40, so need to be in Uig 9ish. Don’t want a dawn start at that time of year!

Looked a couple of hostels, but most only have dorm beds left, not ideal for 2 and 6 year old….

scotroutes

It’s always worth phoning up. Every time I’ve been in that situation, I’ve had a referral to a neighbour or friend who doesn’t advertise much.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It’s always worth phoning up. Every time I’ve been in that situation, I’ve had a referral to a neighbour or friend who doesn’t advertise much.

Been doig that, and getting lots of referrals. So far the only one that had a family room wanted £175 for the night.
    I was hoping someone on here might have a referral, or actually run a B&B with space…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Found one! through the technique of asking for suggestions at every refusal, I’ve found an old dear in Dornie who’ll take us in the night.
    Sorted.
    Phew!

scotroutes

23c in North Uist atm

Just sayin’…..

ir_bandito
    Free Member

It was pretty good last time i was there, june 2012

Please, please PLEASE stay nice…
    🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘I need a B&B in Scotland, but they're all full!’ is closed to new replies.