Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • I N L A W S at Christmas
  • aracer
    Free Member

Mine live round the corner, have just popped in and left. Seeing them again on boxing day. They’re quite nice and we get on OK thankfully. Unlike my sister who decided she didn’t want to see me again 3 years ago 🙁

edhornby

Everyone will be at ours this year, first time we have hosted. My mum and dad are great and father in law is a top guy. Mil is usually ok but SiL can be hard work sometimes. We have a flashpoint for a strop ready to go (next years holiday, SiL not coming, long story) that my Mum and Dad will need to be pre-warned to not talk about! Oh and a set of 90yr old grandparents and my kids are 4 and 18months ready to rock 🙂

If you want me I’ll be in the shed with the cat

Edukator
    Free Member

They’re:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIPj3-_EyQk[/video]

zippykona

And because the northerners are coming the in-laws can’t kip at ours so I will have to drop and collect them Christmas day and boxing day and not have a beer.
    Ho ho ho everybody.

waihiboy
    Free Member

this christmas will be far quieter than last year…

last christmas one of my evil sister in laws slapped my wife on the doortsep so my wife floored her.

i missed it all but the MIL witnessed it, they havent spoken to the SIL since. she is a bitter twisted evil c*w!

the FIL is mental and i get on great with him he has a very dark sense of humour like me. i still laugh about the time i found a PDF on his laptop of how to make a homemade rocket launcher!!!???… i questioned it and he replied.. “you never know mate, you never know!!”

richpips
    Free Member

I enjoy my inlaws company.

See them most weeks.

Wish I saw my Mum as often.

dazh

My in-laws are great. They’re very easy going and like getting p*ssed so a perfect combination 🙂 It’s my own family that drive me mad. When my mum arrives on boxing day no doubt I’ll be treated to the traditional tutting and dirty looks when I suggest that I might go out on my bike for a couple of hours, and then I’ll get told off cos I haven’t done various DIY jobs around the house. Then she’ll moan that it’s too cold and that she can’t smoke in the house, and all the while my long suffering dad will put on a brave face and try to have a good time. Then when my brother arrives I’ll probably get told off again for not being the devoted uncle to his two year old that he desperately wants. Still, at least there’s beer to solve all this. And if that fails I’ll be going out on my bike a lot.

franksinatra

My racist, homophobic, lazy, stupid, noisy irritating idiot of a MIL arrived on Saturday morning….

… and left on Monday morning! Best Christmas present ever, no family at all this Christmas. Just me, the Mrs and the kids. Plus a few friends popping in. Brilliant.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I always go to my sisters house. The gathering grows each year. This year we have

Sister, brother in law and two nephews.
    My mum, dad, uncle, dad’s mum and mum’s dad.
    My godmother.
    My other half and his parents.

This could be interesting.

kimbers

We are at the in-laws,

In Liverpool, they are pretty good tbh. Food is very northern as in we seem to eat 3 meals of red meat and potatoes every day but they aren’t really drinkers

The only really issue is that my FIL thinks that Top Gear is the absolute pinnacle of the televisual art, possibly of all human achievement, so we end up watching one of 2 channels; either Dave or Davejavu

squirrelking
    Free Member

Both sets of parents, SIL and her *new* GF. My dad knows, my mum doesn’t, dreading the inevitable cringeworthy ‘look how okay with this I am and I don’t care, good for you’ speech. *facepalm*

Get on great with my inlaws thankfully as does the missus so it’s never a problem. Barring my mother winding up my SIL (see a pattern emerging here?)

mindmap3
    Free Member

We’re n our own tomorrow as its the first Christmas with jnr.

The inlays are popping in for a drink and nibbles in the evening which is fine. I really like them but the MIL never a seems relaxed in other peoples houses and it’s the SIL I fearvthe most….she’s hard work, very demanding, her and her baby must be the centre of attention and hyper car crash if a marriage always causes a drama somehow and F’s everything up.

My stash of ale should see me through though.

breadcrumb

My in-laws are great, feel for you guys with the difficult ones.

Smudger666

No family myself, and the wife’s parents are divorced so we are able to say that to avoid favouritism, Xmas is a family only day with them taking turns to come for dinner/drinks on Xmas eve/Boxing Day.

Works really well and we do get on with both of them, but we’ve kept Xmas for us. No drama, no hassle, just a really nice Xmas day for the four of us. Grand.

Chin up, all those with painful in laws, and look for the silver lining, not the cloud. And if all else fails, ale and turkey will solve most of your problems.

Sandwich

Wish my in laws could be here for Christmas. FIL was a proper tent and a good laugh but he’s been dead 20 years now and MIL can no longer fly due to her health. We have a get together with my daughter who’s in the pub trade so no chance of her visiting us so it’s driving around the South for the festive season. Christmas with family members is worth travelling for. I try not to be an arse with the son in law.

BillMC

In laws were meant to be here but the old chap has had a fall, he’s grand and 90. So, we’re going there for the day. 160 mile round trip so no booze pour mois. A clear head is good though as I’m morris dancing in the market place tomorrow, will have a good drink after that.

joeegg
    Free Member

My MIL and BIL are here for a few days. She has fairly bad dementia and i didn’t think it would be this difficult.No memory at all and no realisation of time.Needs to use the toilet every hour even during the night which means no sleep for any of us.She can’t converse as there’s nothing after the first two words of a sentence.
    My BIL lives with her in an attic in the house.He is pretty withdrawn and rarely speaks.He has no friends and his life is just looking after his mother.
    My wife had romantic notions of it being a jolly Christmas with all of us,and even though its her mother,she can’t wait for them to leave.

olly2097
    Free Member

We are at the in-laws now.
    Its ultra conservative and very, very religious.
    No booze.
    No Xmas TV.
    No swearing.
    Etc etc.
    They are all off to church in a mo.
    When they come back I’m leaving for work 😉
    They are nice. I just have to be someone I’m not around them.

zokes
    Free Member

My inlaws used to be fine. Then when we had miniZ 11 months ago, they seem to have become both possessive and disinterested (which is as confusing for me as it probably sounds to you).

Consequently, I’m glad I live in Australia, and they, being in the arse end of the arse end of Anglesey, have a very poor internet connection.

Pity, I used to really like them, but not just don’t have the time of day to be dealing with them. Worryingly, my wife feels similarly about them (her own family) as a result of this, which I find even more sad. She seems to get on with mine well enough.

farm-boy

Well the pig roast went well. Drive shaft on the spit broke mid morning but got it fixed easily enough. No other major family dramas and all was looking perfect as we all 29 (found one extra relly since yesterday) sat down at the long trestle tables in the garden – we’re in oz – to tuck in to our feast when an enormous thunderstorm erupted.

Brilliantly my FIL and his 92 year old mum sat side by side nonchalantly chomping away under an umbrella amongst the torrential rain, collapsing marquees, screaming children and general chaos.

tomaso
    Free Member

Olly2097 – is it like this at the in laws?
    [video]http:// http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krgUVduKFL4%5B/video%5D

trailmoggy
    Free Member

Mine aren’t here yet, but I will be like an automated message in an hours time ,”get out of the kitchen”

joolsburger
    Free Member

Lacking a family of my own I’m At my sil’s place now with my wife’s clan all wonderful people, it’ll be a great day. Worst thing I can say is my other sil bought me lovely shaving soap and aftershave, I have a beard, she was very apologetic.

postierich
    Free Member

My Inlaws came up Christmas Eve and are staying until the 28th MIL hates me with a passion as I,m apparently Soooooo Northern.Wife wants them to move up permanently 😯 the old boy is cool and a bit of a character and has lots of journo stories and likes his ale!
    See you at The Brewery on Saturday will be getting the train to 🙂 hope there is not a limit on bikes which train are you getting Tom?

tomaso
    Free Member

Gets into Staveley after 10 for 10:30 start at Wheelbase

Xylene
    Free Member

Had Christmas last year with in laws.
    They are old Thai and Buddhist. Mum hate dad dad is a ****. Cost me two hotel rooms as they wouldnt stay together.

I don’t mind mil she had a tough life due to dad being a ****.

This year I didn’t invite then even though we have rented a house with ample room.

The family bond culturally is something I don’t get. Fil is a **** always had been a **** and now is a lonely ****. Nobody wants him he gets kicked from pillar to post he is meant to be living at our sil in the countryside but she is a **** too so it doesnt work. Do the Fil being the **** that he is had snuck back to our house in Bangkok and is living in living room again.

The missus can’t stand him yet she loves him because he is her dad. If it was the UK he would have been kicked to touch years ago.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Luckily not had the misfortune of dealing with the now ex’s mother this year. Although she did say on Facebook that she hopes my balls drop off. Stay classy you whinging Rucker.
    Last year 4 days post op she had me hopping to the kitchen on crutches to get her beer and then wanted us to go to church. Then moan about her back pain all bloody evening.

Took my Oramorph and fell asleep.

globalti
    Free Member

MIL always comes for Christmas and a few days in summer too, for a bit of company and to stroke the cats. She is a sweet, inoffensive old dear, grossly fat and unfit, never baths or showers so smells of wee wee, necks about a dozen tabs every morning although she hasn’t a clue what they’re for; doesn’t touch alcohol and talks absolute bollocks all the time about TV soaps and supermarket tokens and special offers. It’s usually enough to get up and wander off to another room and she will fall asleep, then you can tun the TV off and get some respite from ITV at full volume.

My only issue with her is that she occupies my favourite sofa position and the other chair gives me backache.

My own Mum never comes up (5 hour drive) because my wife hates her. TBH she would be much more wearing on the nerves because she repeats the same old stories all the time and enjoys tittle-tattle.

binners

Now for something far worse than the in-laws, who we had a pleasant day with yesterday

My own family! 😯

More specifically spending the afternoon at the enormous house of my crass, willy-waving, Clarkeson-o-like of a cousin. Last year he spent the evening boring me rigid about the spec on his new Range Rover. This year promises to be far far worse! My heart sank, and I let out a truly heart-felt sign, and visibly wilted, as my mum informed me that he’s ‘got into mountain biking’ recently.

I fully expect to be immediately ushered into the garage on arrival, to be shown some XTR-kitted piece of carbon exotica, I’m guessing a Santa Cruz Bronson, or similar. That’s possibly been to Llandegla once, but more than likely pootled down the local canal towpath to the pub.

Oh joy! 😥

Saccades
    Free Member

See the silver lining binners – you can tell him in 6 months it’s useless and that he needs to get a yeti whatever and to sell the bronson to you really cheap.

And it’s been to the pub at least.

dazh

Well my mum’s here and she’s requisitioned the telly for wall-to-wall soaps. I could just about tolerate Coronation St but Eastenders is something no sane and rational person should ever be subjected to. On the plus side she’s not had a go at me yet for not doing any DIY or going on a bike ride. That must be tomorrow. Looking forward to getting my house back on Monday.

mintimperial

Just got back from 2 days at the in-laws.

Holy **** **** I hate xmas right now. Humbug.

anagallis_arvensis

Just got back from my parents. Dad currently dying of a brain tumour so that wasnt what you would call fun. MIL and SIL arrive today, wish me luck!

senorj

Spent boxing night at the in laws .The ticking clock was the highlight .
    Apparently I may have mentioned that the turkey was dry ,several times.
    I’m not in the missus’ good books.

anagallis_arvensis

My worry is the sister in law might eat the dog she’s eaten everything else!!

dazh

Found out today my mum and dad are staying til Tuesday 😯 The Mrs was worried about telling me fearing that I might go a bit mental. I did.

iolo
    Free Member

I have the inlaws until tomorrow. They’re lovely people.
    I have my parents stay all the time. I love them loads so have a great time. They’re not getting any younger and I’ll so miss them when they finally pass away so I make the most of the time I have with them now whenever I can.

1-shed
    Free Member

Didn’t think it would happen to me, but yes its gone off here. Happy new year xx 1 shed

kimbers

i actually hit my MIL in the face with a snowball this year, I was aiming for my BIL, honestly

piemonster

Of course Kimbers we…… believe…… you…..

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘I N L A W S at Christmas’ is closed to new replies.