Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • I might not be a mountain bike much longer!
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I'm almost about to go full circle and end up doing what I was doing twenty years ago i.e road and cross only.
    I'm selling off kit and yesterday I was signing up for my local road club.
    Mountainbiking has been great, but the fact is I'm an old roadie at heart. I even opted for a session on the Turbos on Saturday even though I could of had a dry day in Woburn!
    For 2010 I've only got two MTB based riding plans, the Bucks Off Road Sportive and the FNSS that's it.
    Feels odd. 😥

iDave
    Free Member

i must have missed the rule saying you have to choose one or the other…..

Olly
    Free Member

I even opted for a session on the Turbos on Saturday even though I could of had a dry day in Woburn!

you want to go and see a doctor about that, thats not right.
    weirdo 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

Didn't really make a choice just going that way. Though it's probably the ammount of events I can do each week around here that's been nudging it that way.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Three MTB things. You are coming to the BigBikeBash 2010 aren't you?

pitduck
    Free Member

bye 😥

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, right.

oldgit
    Free Member

pitduck I feel I never really got to know you 😥

And BWD seeing as I'm such pee poor mountainbiker it's probably for the best. But I'm joining Team Keyne, finishing off my cyclo cross season, then I'm out with a few 2nd Cats for some serious canings before my first road race in February and from then on it's the LVRC before the cross kicks off again.
    I'll be keeping my Race MTB for the odd ride.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is it an issue so long as you're happy with it ?

Coyote
    Free Member

You're a mountain bike?

Hairychested
    Free Member

OldGit, a change is good, often misunderstood but always good. Enjoy the roads, will see you back in the woods some day. Good luck!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Bye.

Drac

I have the following plans made for 2010

Here ends the list.

zaskar
    Free Member

I don't get time either but have the roadbike for quick rides but luckily convinced to keep the mtb for the fun days out.

Train/ride your mtb but don't sell the mtb unless you never ever use it.

Just do an odd mtb ride now and again and see if it makes you grin 🙂

Road,mtb and CX-it's all riding really.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

just out of interest which FNSS rides are you doing, and did you do any last year, i help organise the one at Delapre and would like your feedback on the course, glad that you have chose to stay doing the FNSS and give me a shout next year and i'll find you some cake

oldgit
    Free Member

Ron
    I just do the Milton Keynes one, but I've cleared it with my work partner to get off on Friday so I can make the dash for the starts of the 2010 series.
    Where I live was a bit of a competition wilderness but now I can road race Tuesday, XC Wednesday, road race Thursday, XC Friday and road race Sunday or cross in the winter and all local.

sockpuppet

don't sell up – kit's rarely worth in cash what it's worth to you, and you'll be back!

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm not selling my XTC, I do love mountainbiking but it's evolved in a way I can't keep up with. I'll still be hitting the trails for my favourite long rides and really that's all I want out of my MTB'ing.
    Mind you I've still got unfinished business with 24 hour solos tens years of doing them and not one good result 😐

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'll still be hitting the trails for my favourite long rides and really that's all I want out of my MTB'ing.

that's all many of us who don't consider themselves to have given up MTB do :o)

ChrisF
    Free Member

I do love mountainbiking but it's evolved in a way I can't keep up with.

Eh? It's just riding a bike in the hills innit? Nowt has changed.

oldgit
    Free Member

Nah once we moved on from 63mm travel I could no longer keep up. And Chris I've at least been honest about why I've never been to places like the Alps.
    The other thing is that the MTB'ers around me are fast disapearing, however people I've known from road racing as far back as the seventies are still around me.

samuri
    Free Member

I've pretty much stopped mountain biking too this year to be honest. I'm keeping my bikes, I'm sure at some point I'll want to ride them again. It's certainly not because mountain biking has 'moved on' or there's no-one to ride with, just doing different stuff at the moment.

But don't go for the turbo's, that way leads insanity. There's plenty of roads out there.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Go where your heart takes you. 😉

One of my earliest inspriations to get riding was a guy who I met on Lefkas who was our holiday Rep – loved his bikes and always remember him saying he'd tried every type of riding then settled back to what he was riding then and enjoying at that moment – Suppose you'd call it All Mountain. Great guy and I learnt a lot from him.

It's all two wheels!! Enjoy!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Nah once we moved on from 63mm travel I could no longer keep up.

now you've lost me – how does the amount of travel affect your ability to keep up ??

simonralli2
    Free Member

I do love mountainbiking but it's evolved in a way I can't keep up with. I'll still be hitting the trails for my favourite long rides and really that's all I want out of my MTB'ing.

I'm missing something. I bought my first bike in 2005, still have it and errr, just like to sit on it, spin the pedals as much as I am feeling able that day and the bike takes me to lots of fab places with groovy people. Let me know when that bit changes and I'll do something different.

In the meantime, have fun biking, it's all just biking really, but sometimes you may get a bit muddier ay? 😀

oldgit
    Free Member

[Nah once we moved on from 63mm travel I could no longer keep up] I'm implying that longer travel opened the gates of gnarl! and technically I missed the boat when it came to learning 'skilz' Even 24 racing has moved on from my beloved Sandwell. Anything were you need learnt skills just to cover ground is beyond me.

oldgit
    Free Member

This sort of thing is my cuppa tea, could ride this up along and down all day.

crikey
    Free Member

I get what you mean oldgit, I'm a roadie at heart, and the tech stuff does get in the way sometimes. But I like this attitude:

it's all just biking really, but sometimes you may get a bit muddier ay?

sofatester
    Free Member

Man down!

anagallis_arvensis

I aint ridden a bike for almost two year due to injuries, just ride you oldgit and stop worrying about what your riding, you'd miss it if you couldnt.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Dales are crowded enough. Ta Ta.
    Good luck really though, hope you don't get tooo bored.

soobalias
    Free Member

ref the pic above.

if you are going to tell me that you wouldnt feel right riding that on an mtb but instead only use a CX bike……. GET OUT!

oldgit
    Free Member

🙄

showerman
    Free Member

eveybody from leighton buzzard is a roady (bossard wheelers)

jedi

i'm a cyclist at heart, through and through.

jedi

if you can ride stuff, learn how

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Do people actually call themselves mountain bikers?

Pedals – Check
    Wheels – Check
    Frame – Check
    Forks – Check
    etc etc

Seems to me you are still turning the pedals which menas nothings changed.

Or did you want us to slap you on the back and give you a testamonial for your long service?

oldgit
    Free Member

showerman who are you?
    I raced with the Bossard Wheelers between 88 & 93'ish

And yes I do think some people call themselves mountainbikers.

Jedi, I would like to learn new skills, but (and I can see my mates rolling their eyes) I do have a serious balance problem. Had it since a kid. It's probably the same thing that causes my Vertigo. Give you two examples, the huge wide path on Mam Tor and the singletrack on the lofty summits of Dunsatble downs cause me to almost lean right against the ground. It's really annoying. I can conquer it, but I woldn't mountain bike in the Alps.

DezB
    Free Member

the tech stuff does get in the way sometimes

How bizarre! 😕

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Do people actually call themselves mountain bikers?

I do. I'll avoid riding on the road till cars fall out of favour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘I might not be a mountain bike much longer!’ is closed to new replies.