Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • I might be insane – 29er bodge-o-rama idea
  • 2orangey4crows

So, winter’s practically here and it’s nearly time to singlespeed the P7. However, this year I was wondering about shoving on a rigid Orange F8 fork and a 29″ front wheel.

Firstly, will an F8 fork fit a 29er wheel?

Secondly, will it trash the handling? Current Vanilla R is 510mm axle to crown. The F8 is 450mm. What will a 29er wheel add?

Thirdly, am I an idiot and will my bike explode in a ball of flames?

There’s no real reason for wanting to do this by the way (other than I always liked that old bronze Trek 29er); I’ve just got too much time on my hands, .

shortcut

Yes it will work, no you won’t die and the bike won’t explode, try and borrow a 29″ wheel to see how it handles before you bother buying one.

As for are you an idiot – no idea. I guess others may have an opinion!!

STATO
    Free Member

The F8 is a suspension corrected 26er fork (so equivalent to your fork with sag), sticking the big wheel in will lift the front a bit, nothing drastic, the height wont change the feeling much compared to the weight and feel of the big wheel. Wheel should fit in it fine too.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

if you don’t already have a fork, buy a shorter one.

andyl
    Free Member

well the 29er wheel will add (29-26)/2=1.5″ ie about 37mm. ie if your frame is okay with a 5″ fork then it’s about right.

2orangey4crows

Thanks all

I’m going to get an F8 fork anyway for winter, so will try and borrow a 29er wheel to see what it’s like. Will post some feedback.

shortcut – I can think of a few people who have an opinion on that!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve got an on-one carbon 29er fork you can have for £50 if you want.

2orangey4crows

Thanks Rorschach, but going for the F8 as it will take full guards for touring duties.

andyl
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    I’ve got an on-one carbon 29er fork you can have for £50 if you want.

is that offer to anyone else? Have a 26″ one but need a 29er one for my scandal….

Rorschach
    Free Member

e-mither in my profile andyl

scaredypants

I use a 29 wheel in an exotic fork on my scandal 26er frame – works fine

I’ve no concerns about the extra leverage damaging the frame as it’s a xc mudbike that plods round with wheels on/submerged in the ground

tinsy
    Free Member

450+37 = 487, your sus fork is 510 but thats unsagged, obviously the new setup wont sag at all so it might be a tad slow turning in.

You have to also bear in mind your used to turning in with a bit of braking going on so probably quite a bit shorter at that point than just usual sag.

What travel Vanilla’s?

MadBillMcMad

How about a 29er rigid fork & a 26er wheel.

Assuming you already have the 26er wheel it is probably a cheaper option for about the same affect (I think)

jameso

Had a 69er-conversion fork made up to do this a while ago, went on my mate’s P7 for a bikepacking trip this summer. Low a-c less than 440mm, longer rake and it worked well, felt very similar to the 26″ front handling just a bit comfier and usual 29er things. Singular Gryphon / Hummingbird fork is best available option. Otherwise look for as close to 440mm as poss, and ideally 45mm+ rake. It’ll still feel slower / slacker but maybe ok.

2orangey4crows

tinsy – Vanillas are 140mm with about 20% sag. Hadn’t really factored in the sag factor… maybe some flat bars and a 0deg stem rather than the 6deg currently on there?

qwerty
    Free Member

Sam @ Singular will sell you a Hummingbird fork for £70 and its specifically designed for faffage.

tinsy
    Free Member

2 orangey, well that will get your bar height down, but wont make the head angle any different.

What your planning will work, it might just be a bit slow turning in.

Sell me the vanillas 🙂 I want to put them on my Scandal thats designed for *100mm forks, I like some fafage too!

*Blurb now states 100mm for scandals but it always used to say up to 120mm, & am running 120mm currently but it can take more.

2orangey4crows

tinsy – the Vanillas are too nice to sell. 3 years old and still as plush as a cashmere cod piece. Go get some, they’re great forks!

qwerty – hmmmm, but the Hummingbird forks aren’t black to match my frame (yes, I am a tart).

tinsy
    Free Member

Tis allright orangey, I think I would be better with talas anyhow in case I do really mess the handling up.

Oh and do report back on how it rides, I hate it when the thread just dies with no outcome.

2orangey4crows

Must admit, Talas is about the only thing that could tempt me and is probably what I’ll get when the Vanilla dies. The ability to drop the travel a bit on climbs would be very, very nice!

tinsy
    Free Member

Have you seen the classifieds, a decent 29 inch wheel just popped up.

andyl
    Free Member

Rorschach – you should have an email from this morning unless I messed something up 😕

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘I might be insane – 29er bodge-o-rama idea’ is closed to new replies.