Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • I met Steve Peat
  • markcurtains
    Free Member

Hello, I’m new here.

Last Wednesday I was in the local woods for a bit of a ride. There’s an excellent downhill run that’s been built by local enthusiasts and the Wildlife Trust.

Anyway at the bottom there’s a 6ft drop off which leads to a smaller ramp. You can either rejoin the footpath or take the drop. I usually rejoin the path with a noncahalant “could do it if I wanted to” knid of glance but today was tentatively sat looking at the drop off (for about 20 minutes tbh) when a couple of guys with cameras and tripods turn up with a guy covered head to toe in sponsored gear. He says hello and I suddenly realise it’s former World Downhill Champion Steve Peat – the huge “PEATY” on the back of his shirt would’ve given it away sooner or later. Turns out they’re filming a helmet cam promo and despite what he thinks is a cracked rib, he’s going to do his thing at the drop off for the cameras.

So I sit and watch whilst him and the film crew go and look at an even more insane drop off a bit further down. As he comes back, I say, “and here’s me wondering whether to attempt this on my 12 year old GT”. This piques his interest with him being a former GT rider and he says my bike’s a classic. This is even better than when a schoolkid in Castleton once told me it was “phat”.

Anyway they start filming, he’s attacking the drop at a ridiculous speed. When he’s all done, he walks back up and asks me if I want him to show me how to do it in slow motion. So me and the cameramen all gather round as he makes it look easy, then comes back round and then asks if I’m going to wait until they’ve gone to try it and if it’s too much peer pressure. I now know I’ve really got to do it and mumble something to one of the cameramen about “bloody pushy World Champions”, one of the film makers is now filming me. Anyway I take a short run up and take the drop and don’t kill myself. A quick ride back to the top and it’s handshakes all round. He’s an absolute gent, really nice bloke.

Anyway, as many of you probably know he’s riding for Santa Cruz now so when I got home I Googled them and that’s how I ended up finding this site.

Sorry for the long post.

cheers

Martin

geoffj

Nice story that. 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

Fantastic.

shifter
    Free Member

Hello & welcome!
    Cool story, did they do you a copy? That would be great to get on utube.

nuke

Great story 😀

unklehomered
    Free Member

Nice!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Were you in Greno then?

leffeboy

Adds to ‘what made me smile today’ list.

And well done

Stevelol
    Free Member

Brill story! Was this Wharncliffe or Greno?

markcurtains
    Free Member

Were you in Greno then?

Hi, yes I was. I’ve lived in High Green since 2001 and due to a combination of laziness and Billy-no-mates-who-like-cycling-ness, only recently discovered the downhill course although I have always heard stories about it.

Apparently there’s a dig day up there organised by Ride Sheffield next Saturday (also discovered by Googling Santa Crusz bikes 😀 ) so I’m hoping to go along and get involved. Never done anything like that before.

saxabar
    Free Member

The best introductory post ever!

ART

Great story, hello and welcome! 😀

sofatester
    Free Member

This.

Lifer
    Free Member

Go Peaty! Such a shame he crashed last week he was flying.

djflexure

Made me smile too.

xcneil
    Free Member

I like this story a lot!

almightydutch
    Free Member

Awesome story, welcome to the madhouse!!

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Excellent story. Peaty = MTBing’s Dave Grohl? 🙂

billyboulders
    Free Member

Great story – nice you made the drop too 😀

Remember seeing Peaty years ago at a uk downhill race in Somerset soon after my (now 12) eldest daughter was born. We were at the finish line, she was in my arms and after his run he put his bike down came straight over and patted her on the head saying “she’s lovely-you must be very proud mate” Top bloke, makes time for people he meets and a great ambassador for the sport.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

great story! 😀

thedon
    Free Member

He’s read this thread and just posted about it on his Facebook page.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

wait, 20 posts and no-ones asked for pics of the twelve year old GT?

markcurtains
    Free Member

thanks all for the welcome and the comments

wait, 20 posts and no-ones asked for pics of the twelve year old GT

I can grant this request on Tuesday before I start my nightshift 😀

He’s read this thread and just posted about it on his Facebook page.

He also replied to my post on Twitter about out enocounter. Top man.

loulouk
    Free Member

Steve Peat’s just tweeted to say thank you for the write up. :0) awesome story of awesomeness.

Drac

Great story and welcome to the site.

RealMan
    Free Member

+1

Steve Peat’s just tweeted to say thank you for the write up. :0) awesome story of awesomeness.

That’s sweet too.

Don’t meet your heroes – what a load of rubbish.

dabble
    Free Member

Great story, top bloke as well as a top rider eh, nice one. Welcome to the jungle.

tang
    Free Member

This sums up the great and good of the mtb community on the trail. love it!

RealMan
    Free Member

Also well done on hitting the drop, bet that felt good.

Wookster

Awesome! What a legend!!! he has always come across as a nice guy, one of those people who is so good at something they have nothing to prove and are just chilled he is a credit to the sport.

Good work on the drop too mate!

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Great first post. Proof yet again that those in this fantastic sport of ours do it for the love, not the fame or money.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Found this after reading Peaty’s Tweet. Good to read a thread full of happy goodness. Top work

sharki
    Free Member

😀

kennyp
    Free Member

What a fantastic story.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Brilliant.

_tom_
    Free Member

Awesome 😀

markcurtains
    Free Member

Boba Fatt – Member
    wait, 20 posts and no-ones asked for pics of the twelve year old GT?

12 year old GT Timberline

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘I met Steve Peat’ is closed to new replies.