Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I-max b6 charger / Chinese 18650 4 cell bike light pack
  • ulysse
    Free Member

Has anyone tried using their RC LiIon cell charger on one of these Chinese shrink wrapped 4 18650 battery packs?
    Am i going to roast and die in flames?

Flaperon

Probably. I can’t understand why anyone thinks that knock-off Chinese lithium ion batteries of unknown provenance could possibly be a good idea.

Even if they don’t explode when charging, Li-Ion batteries are vulnerable to impact or crush damage, and the bits that make them safe cost money. Hence they’re usually not fitted.

ulysse
    Free Member

Aye, true, but my thinking is the B6 has protection circuitry and as well as bespoke charging slopes, you can also customize once you test to find the true capacity of the cell/ battery.
    It’s inherently safer than the supplied charger, but I was after a “magic bullet” if anyone else had tried this before me.
    Obvs, the safest way is to split the shrink see what’s in there and test individual cells, if doing this as a battery I think I will be beheld to one of the in built discharge /charge profiles

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stuey
    Free Member

Uylsee –I’m a torch /led junkie. ‘Been using a B6 for years, on all kinds of Chinese and ‘home made’ cell packs, it’s internal monitoring has gone of a couple of times because of faulty cells – so I say they were safe. I decent Lipo fire proof bag is aslo recommended.

ulysse
    Free Member

That’s what I suspected, the protection circuit on the B6 will kick in before any disaster, if sensible precautions are used

ulysse
    Free Member

An aside, what differentiates a cheap Chinese cell and a quality cell? I’d imagine they all come out the same factory. Even if I bought from Torchy, I’d test with a discharge /charge cycle first. Although I’d be very confident that he would supply what he advertised

stuey
    Free Member

Fake B6 also exist – these have been known to overcharge 🙁
    – Opening a pack to check for balance circuits / balanced voltages can be done when your ‘waterproofing’.

ulysse
    Free Member

Yeah, i saw that when i was researching my own B6 purchase, i got it from a reputable source and went as far as checking serial numbers and holo seals, tho i have seen even they could be faked

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I-max b6 charger / Chinese 18650 4 cell bike light pack’ is closed to new replies.