Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • I made a video…thoughts?
  • williamtm
    Free Member

The local downhill mtb park near me (Stile Cop near Cannock Chase, I’m sure some of you will know it and/or have ridden it) have a “timed practise” event once a month, where you get x amount of runs and you try and beat your best time. I went along on Sunday and filmed it…have a watch and let me know what you think! 😀

Milkie
    Free Member

I liked that.

leffeboy

Rather good, watched it all and it made me smile. Maybe slightly too long but that’s all

LoCo
    Free Member

Looks good fun, the jumping scrolling back a touch bits weren’t necessary IMO (although that might be my old laptop playing up)

does need more beards and rusty motorcycles though 😉

almightydutch
    Free Member

Also a local so know it well, main thing I’d say is camera angles. You get the camera moving too much when in close proximity to the riders so it looks jerky all the time. Instead of lots of angles try concentrating on fixed angles that show more of the trail and as such show the riders better.
    Racers guild always has a good turnout

Motorbikes you say Loco…if only we could tear up the Chase on them

althepal

That was good. Good wee vid that.

LoCo
    Free Member

Motorbikes you say Loco…if only we could tear up the Chase on them

that was in ref. to this: http://vimeo.com/79572828 😀

dan314
    Free Member

I clicked the like button 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Good stuff, you should be proud of that!

williamtm
    Free Member

Cheers guys, glad you like it!

I do agree on the shaky video – I just got a new camera recently (Canon EOS 700D), and it’s only the 2nd video I’ve done with it. I do plan on investing in some extra gear soon, first and foremost of which will be a tripod (or a monopod). Personally, I do think handheld shots work, but in this case, especially with a light camera and the lens I used, it’s very noticeable.

poonprice
    Free Member

Yeah liked that…

thegman67

Nice vid mate. Well done

dabble
    Free Member

Good stuff, looks like a fun track too.

shifter
    Free Member

Nice. Captured the fun of the event.

xiphon
    Free Member

One tip – invest in a tripod.

I paid £60 for a ‘filming’ tripod from eBay (second hand), with a long handle to move the cam, and it made a huge difference. The tripod head is very “slippery” (ooh..err!), which means when you’ve moving the camera, it doesn’t ‘stutter’ (from friction)

Apart from that, it’s well put together, and the music is good.

Keep ’em coming!

almightydutch
    Free Member

Sorry Will, didn’t mean for my post to sound overly critical. Really liked the vid and would like to see more.

Great scope for videos from that place as it works as a DH venue without being on a mountain. Reckon a cable cam could be awesome 😉

renton
    Free Member

I liked that a lot !!

Much better than “The Chop” from the other day !

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the video especially the song and it put a smile on my face, I would probably say it could be a a little better by being a bit shorter.

Looks great and the video quality was very good, my friend has the 700D which I’ve used on occasion so I might ask her to film some stuff, though I am thinking of getting a 100D for myself.

Did you take many photos on the day? I would love to see some if you do.

ryderredman
    Free Member

Very nice 🙂 One thing! What did you feel like not going to help that poor tree hugger?

happyrider
    Free Member

Ace! 163 looked super fast at 3:51.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Liked the shakey stuff TBH – it gave a more ‘real’ quality to the footage. Nice edit.

Larch needles = Lethal 😯

williamtm
    Free Member

xiphon – Member
    One tip – invest in a tripod.

I paid £60 for a ‘filming’ tripod from eBay (second hand), with a long handle to move the cam, and it made a huge difference. The tripod head is very “slippery” (ooh..err!), which means when you’ve moving the camera, it doesn’t ‘stutter’ (from friction)Tripod and a fluid head is what they’re called – and yes, I’m hoping to do so as soon as I have the funds for one. The ones I have my eye on are a tad pricey though, looking at about £150-200 for the pair.

almightydutch – Member
    Sorry Will, didn’t mean for my post to sound overly critical. Really liked the vid and would like to see more.

Great scope for videos from that place as it works as a DH venue without being on a mountain. Reckon a cable cam could be awesomeNo probs, always good to have constructive criticism. Cable cam sounds like a good idea, I’ve always wanted to play with one of those. Watch this space…? 😛

fr0sty125 – Member
    I really enjoyed the video especially the song and it put a smile on my face, I would probably say it could be a a little better by being a bit shorter.

Looks great and the video quality was very good, my friend has the 700D which I’ve used on occasion so I might ask her to film some stuff, though I am thinking of getting a 100D for myself.

Did you take many photos on the day? I would love to see some if you do.Yeah the length is a bit long…I made it primarily for the guys who ride to see, so I wanted to include as many of them as possible. If I was doing it with the main intention of a wider audience, I’d cut a fair bit of the clips out (or shorten them), and the end would be chopped off.

If you can, I’d stretch to the 600D rather than the 100D – I’ve heard a lot of stories about the 100D being pretty low end, and feeling cheap – the 600, 650, and 700D are a far better option IMHO – and they’re built like tanks.

I did take some photos – here they are: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152028228671894.1073741847.633611893&type=1&l=5c68d06beb

ryderredman – Member
    Very nice 🙂 One thing! What did you feel like not going to help that poor tree hugger?

Haha, he was fine, promise! There were about 5 people standing around (inc a marshal who knows first aid…I don’t), and they all went to help. He was back on the bike after about 10 mins.

kayak23

Liked it. Bit long as others have said, and could have used someone being eaten at the end whilst going for a beard trim. Didn’t even mind the music too much 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW6AWmqa8ZM[/video]

jaymoid

Good edit, the scenes where the rider is coming towards you are really nice. It gets a like from me! The slow mo looks really fluid too.

hopefully some constructive feedback:
    The 700D scenes are lovely quality but the nifty fifty is hard to keep still at that focal length (every minor shake is magnified) so you’ve ended up with the shakes a bit there. So my only advice is film with something wider and ideally IS, or use something to steady the footage (steadycam or something). You could always use something to stabilize the footage after like Deshaker [free] or warp stabilizer (if you have After Effects). If you have the kit lens, it’s actually a good video lens (wide and has IS) with the drawback being that the focus ring is a PITA to use being at the front. And yeah the repetitive bits could have been mixed up a bit throughout the edit. Otherwise really good work, the edit has good pace, good build up at the start, and good choice of music to suit. Bob on!

xiphon
    Free Member

I picked up a Manfrotto MKC3 for £60… works nicely for video…

riley
    Free Member

Pretty cool, If that’s your first bike vid you should be pretty damn proud.

Only comment is the shakiness at the start, didn’t really notice it so much once the movement started. I’d look at a cheap steadicam for handheld shots.

The focus looks really good, did you just set focus at beginning of each scene with a smallish aperture?

williamtm
    Free Member

jaymoid – Member
    Good edit, the scenes where the rider is coming towards you are really nice. It gets a like from me! The slow mo looks really fluid too.

Cheers – re your other comments, I don’t have the kit lens from the 700D, but I do have the 400D kit lens, though it doesn’t have IS. I’m going to give that a go for the next video. My next lens is probably going to be a wide angle one – ideally the Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM. I have used Warp Stabilizer in the past, but I like to avoid it because I hate the way it looks unless it’s fixing a tiny amount of shake.

xiphon – Member
    I picked up a Manfrotto MKC3 for £60… works nicely for video…

Looks pretty decent, will definitely have to check that out sometime. 🙂

riley – Member
    Pretty cool, If that’s your first bike vid you should be pretty damn proud.

Only comment is the shakiness at the start, didn’t really notice it so much once the movement started. I’d look at a cheap steadicam for handheld shots.

The focus looks really good, did you just set focus at beginning of each scene with a smallish aperture?Thanks. It’s the first “proper” one I’ve done, other than a handful of others with just a phone or a GoPro. Focus was set at the start (I’m sure I annoyed enough people doing that…”can you stand over there!”), and all the shots were at f/8.

jaymoid

>> Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC HSM.
    Good choice – check out the Tokia 11-16 f2.8 as well, that’s where my money would go. Really nice solid lens, and comes very highly rated for video.

I know what you mean about the warp stabilizer, it takes a lot of finetuning to get it to look “normal”.

Keep up the good work, and I forgot to mention – I’m from Stafford and I didn’t even know this place existed! Will maybe take a visit next time I’m back homewards and visiting the chase trails, maybe try my luck on the beginner Red!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Enjoyed that

You got the sense of fun with the guy banging that old rim? And the sketchy drop @ about 2:25 with people cheering when the rider held it together.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘I made a video…thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.