Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • I made a stealth camper and I want to show off!
  • sazter

Gazc, no the stuff is stuck to the outer skin, the the ply is on top, so there’s some gaps between the two layers but not between the outer skin and ply if that makes sense?! 🙂

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

My insurance company made it very clear I would not be insured if I did anything like this to my connect.

Pigface
    Free Member

Impressive work on the van, well done.

sazter meet Emsz, Emsz meet sazter 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

“My insurance company made it very clear I would not be insured if I did anything like this to my connect.”

Whys that then? just get a different insurance company -sounds like they dont understand the question so just said no….

sazter

Insurance was only an issue for me if I made any permanent changes, as I have said it is all removable, the stove is a coleman camping stove and all my kit is in plastic boxes under the bench. There is no fixed “bed” as this is a bench seat for getting changed 😉 they are quite strict on what makes a camper and this does not meet those requirements.. so I have to adhere to van speed limits and I am happy with that! 😀 Bring on Kirrie and Dalbeattie this weekend! 😀

sazter

@ Pigface… ummm cheers… am taken but otherwise that would have been a perfect setup! 😉

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

It was because they don’t want you sleeping in the van without specific certified heating/gas/electric etc in case you kill yourself in it with DIY facilities.

spooky_b329

Probably a non-issue, but if its an early Connect, check the inside edges of the front tyres. There was some minor issue which caused them to wear very quickly and we had a few vans on the carcass whilst the visible part of the tyre was hardly worn.

Nice van though 🙂

tomhoward

Great. A girl thats more of a man than I am.

*shuffles off of a cry, some chocolate and a good book*

Drac

Nice work.

One day I will own my camper van. Should have just bought one a few years ago when I had the cast I’d lost nothing on it.

PrinceJohn

Good work – what gives it away as a girls van is the bin. I’ve never seen a bin in a man van, well unless you count the van.

clareymorris

Absolutely ace….well impressed with your DIY skillZ!

jkomo

Love it

sazter

Spooky – Cheers, I checked recently, not because I knew but because the MIL’s car had done that! Cheers though!

Tom… there, there, want a hug? 😉

PrinceJohn… Not the cushions and curtains, no, the bin! It’s made from a beer box if that helps my man points?

Cheers all! 😀 Roll on 5.30 when I can get on the road!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Love stealth campers. Wish our (obvious) camper was more hidden as you can get your head down in more free locations without having trouble. Enjoy that.

househusband
    Free Member

Great work, sazter!

(I’m a Scottish ‘techie’ teacher and what you’ve done is a great advert for equality, diversity and getting more girls to do more practical subjects at school; I’ve always said that girls are often capable of better practical work than the boys. My best results in Intermediate Engineering Craft Skills (metalwork) in 2013 and National 5 Practical Woordwork this year… both girls!)

sazter

Househusband – Thanks so much!

Design tech was my fave class at school, many years ago now! My final year project was a chair made to measure for my wee sis, it is still going strong and my wee cousin now has it! 😀

I plan on re-building the bed in stronger hardwood, probably over winter when I am not using it as much!

😀

sazter

Re-post of the original post as my images went AWOL and I wanted to share them.

Bought this:

And put in a LOT of time and graft… Now I have this:

6 foot long in the back so the bed is long enough, as a 5 ft 6 girl its perfect for me!

Bed folds away when I need to use the full van…
    But can be a single bed or bench and pulls out to double when needed (Bikes then have to be locked up but thats ok).

This was a learning curve!

But I can proudly say I did all the work myself and it’s brilliant! Going on a bike weekender this weekend to celebrate!

Oh, and the outside is also nicer… the bottom of this is how both sides now look (tough to get the adhesive off!)
    And the top doesn’t quite glow but it was a sunny day!

All warm and insulated and lined..

And a door puller-shutter…

Also has a roof now and lights

Charging socket for phones etc, Readout for the leisure battery and light switches

mactheknife

Hey, i saw the post on my thread. Im glad you fixed the links as it was worth it. Loving your work. Especially with the leisure battery. How did you learn to do the wiring as currently i have decided not to bother with one but i am going to put the roof on sides on batons so they can be removed easily if i decide down the line to fit some wiring 🙂

Great work 🙂

twang
    Free Member

Great effort!
    Stealth all the way for me too, vans are bloody brilliant! 😀

sazter

I bought the kit from ebay for the wiring, it came with all the cables and bits I needed, I just added my lights, heater, battery, sockets and switches and some low voltage cable from Halfords. I will see if I can find the link for you mac

sazter

6mtr Split Charge Relay Kit 12v 140a Durite Intelligent Relay Ready Made Leads from :
    simply split charge on ebay

cyclelife
    Free Member

Pics gone again?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

That’s completely awesome and I want one

sazter

I can see the pics Cyclelife… in the post above, not the original first post.

mrbelowski, thanks, I love it!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Fantastic, very well done 🙂

orangeorange
    Free Member

Great job and very inspiring too,I`m kinda torn as I would love a camper van project but have a Van provided by work gratis,camped/biked/fished out of it all last Summer but would like a project to individualise like yours.
    Maybe I just don`t realise how lucky I am ..

cookeaa

Very Nice OP, missed this first time round, a mate at work is on the lookout for a T5 Combi/SWB or a Transit connect to do something similar with.

Having just joined the masses and buying our first MPV, I’m now mulling over the possibilities for the odd weekend of camping in the boot just me and a bike, this thread just makes me want a van so much more practical really.

Ah well it’s not happening any time soon, I quite fancy getting busy with the plywood and lashing up a poor man’s amdro “boot jump”

sazter

Thanks all! I was half looking but this van came up at a good price so I bought it earlier then expected, it needed to be a small van as it is my only vehicle and needs to fit in my space at work, anything bigger would not fit! So far have comfortably slept two in double bed mode, and just me with my bike when it is in single bed/bench seat mode. I have a tarp and windbreak that I set up over and around the doors for a kitchen and I hang a blanket over the doorway to keep midgies out. 🙂 I have also taken out the gear and folded the bed away and easily fit 5 bikes in for a trip to BPW, so it is doing the job it was made for perfectly!

Now I just need to fix the wiper as I managed to unhook the spring, damnit!! 😉

HansRey

gosh, that looks great. How is it cold nights (below 5’C)?

sazter

HansRey It is fine, there is a small ceramic cab heater running from the leisure battery that does a decent job of warming the space, and the insulation holds it well, though in very cold weather I use a sleeping bag rather than a duvet.

nickc

That’s so trick!!

Want one now. 😈

mactheknife

@sazter, thanks a load for that eBay link. Just bit the bullet and bought the kit. But I’ll be blaming you if it all goes wrong though 🙂

tymbian
    Free Member

No all the pics are opening for me. All i see is the before pic and the battery box. Sounds amazing though.

madeupname
    Free Member

Brilliant job. I love my Kombi, but a stealth van would be much more practical in almost every way!

Can I ask where you got the leisure battery voltage meter? Was it part of the kit from Split Charge people?

I am trying to fit a leisure battery to my old van, and would like the reassurance of knowing how flat it is….

Thanks

sazter

Nickc, thanks!
    mactheknife you’ll be grand!
    tymbian, no idea why, sorry!
    madeupname I got it form ebay, just a cheapy number, nothing special and just wired it up to the battery, it did have pathetically short wires, about 20mm or so, so needed extending!

mactheknife

Sazter, I’m trying to find out what rating of wire connects the fuse box to the leisure battery. Can you remember what you used? Sorry to pester you

sazter

mac, I can’t remember off the top of my head, I will have a look after work, but it will have been in the kit. 🙂

mactheknife

Cool, i have just had a wee visit to http://www.campervanlife.com and they advised 10mm. But if its in the kit ill be happy 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘I made a stealth camper and I want to show off!’ is closed to new replies.