Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • I love my Buffalo Special 6 shirt.
  • franksinatra

First proper frost of the winter so out it came for the morning commute. Not sure of its exact age now but at least 16 years old.

I use it for daily commuting on minging gritty roads, weekend biking, hill walking camping, gardening, dog walking, the list goes on. It has survived many expeditions and trips and must have been washed 100 times.

I can’t believe that one garment can be subjected to so much use over so many years and still perform so brilliantly. It has been ripped a few times but the repairs hold strong. Some of the pertex is getting a bit thin from straps rubbing but it can and will be easily patched. I see no reason why I couldn’t get another 16 years use out of it.

The best £64 I ever spent (It was a lot of money for me at the time!)

That is all

brakeswithface

Do you not find it a bit too hot on the bike? I’ve got a Montane equivalent and it’s too warm for anything active.

Tasso
    Free Member

I bought a mountain shirt and way too hot for 99% of the time on the bike down south.

The Teclite smock I bought subsequently though is the best cool weather kit I’ve bought. Just right for night rides and if it gets really cold a really good wicking base layer can be chucked on or a pertex outer shell. A friend and I have been using ours for something like 4 years riding every week autumn through spring and crashed in them a few times which adds a slightly distressed look but has not affected performance.

I was just contemplating buying the high viz version for commuting but seems I’ll be off the bike for a while so it’ll be on my christmas list.

TooTall
    Free Member

Montane FTW now – cheaper and IMHO a better bit of kit. It isn’t nearly cold enough as bwf says – fibre pile clothing for sub-zero riding only.

marka.
    Free Member

I’ve only used my Mountain Shirt about 3 times in the mountains, because even in winter I found it generally too warm. I can’t see myself ever wearing it on the bike. It’s great when you’re sitting around, though, and my Belay Jacket gets loads of use.

My Teclite is brilliant for the bike (and hillwalking). For biking from October to about March or April it’s fantastic. Just seems to work in a huge range of temperatures and you don’t feel all clammy.

Pieface

I have one of the cycle tops for sale, a few years old but a bit big for me and not used much

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/Teclite_Cycle_Top.htm

passtherizla
    Free Member

I used to have a buffalo special 6 but also got way too hot..

I now use a Montane Prism jacket for actively cold stuff, very small amount in insualtion and a Montane flux jacket for stops/belay.

I also use this system for winter climbing.

karnali
    Free Member

my buffalo top is now 18 years old, mainly used for whitewater kayaking due to the exceptional wram although i think now it may be worn enough to be just right for frosty commutes that are done in dark both ways.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

As others have said, it’s far too warm a jacket. I’ve had a Montane and Buffalo and sold them on as I was too hot while doing anything remotely physical even down to about -10. The Montane was the better made jacket, the Buffalo seemed like it was made in someone’s shed. Great system though if it works for you. Ya big cold jessy!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do like my active but im sure itd be too warm to ride in unless i was just out for a slow bimble !

Waterproof and merino for me almost all year .

Maybe it will be good to commute in – rather than my down vest under a soft shell waterproof

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

The Teclite smock + 1. One word – brilliant

thomthumb
    Free Member

Montane extreme smock for £50

just ordered one to be put away until my birthday.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I love my Belay jacket, which is now 16/17 years old, and the Teclite shirt for riding in. Also got a mountain shirt which is great for wearing on a long winter motorcycle trip.

sofatester
    Free Member

Not sure of its exact age now but at least 16 years old.

I use it for daily commuting on minging gritty roads, weekend biking, hill walking camping, gardening, dog walking, the list goes on. It has survived many expeditions and trips and must have been washed 100 times.

Only washed 100 times in over 16 years? That’s roughly once every 2 months.

Nasty!

v8ninety

Only washed 100 times in over 16 years? That’s roughly once every 2 months.

Yeah, but I don’t suppose it sees much use for, what, eight months out of twelve? Suddenly 100 times seems more reasonable.

Love mine too, if you get too hot, just open the sides right up, let the sub zero air get next to your sweaty bare skin, soon cools you down. You are wearing it properly right? Nothing underneath?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

lol, mines been only washed maybe half that in all the time I’ve owned it. A few blim burns, but it’s still going strong.

Pieface

A Buffalo should never be washed. Just like the animals they create their own oils that are essential to the performance of the jacket

sofatester
    Free Member

Yeah, but I don’t suppose it sees much use for, what, eight months out of twelve? Suddenly 100 times seems more reasonable.

Does it? That’s still only a once every couple of weeks for what was very heavy daily usage by the OP!

That could be standard washing routine oop norff. But down here in soft southern shandy drinking land it might be considered a bit, well a bit unpleasant!

andyh2
    Free Member

Ta for that link TT.

TooTall
    Free Member

£50 is an unmissable price for anyone who fits in those sizes. Bombproof and durable – they need so little care compared to goretex etc.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I heard a funny story about a girl wearing a buffalo shirt “properly” once with the pit-zips all the way open.
    You can guess… 😉

warpcow
    Free Member

I reckon mine must be about 12yrs old now. It only ever sees service during the deepest, darkest, coldest weeks of the Swedish winter; never above -15 degrees, since I’m a bit of a sweaty bugger. Still, I can see myself probably owning it for at least another 12yrs.

PaulD
    Free Member

Bought the original purple and yellow Buffalo cycling shirt in 1995 and wore it most days for 1 hour cycling in November to March until a few years ago. It too has several tears that have been sewed with fishing line and all hold good. The (red) fibre pile has squashed a lot and it is no longer good for a -10C ride, but I have other solutions:

I bought the Rab Vapour Rise Smock as a spring-and-autumn solution and this works well to approx 0C, when I switch to a Buffalo Mountain Shirt. This is warmer than the original cycling top, so the vents are very useful.
    I bought the Montane Extreme last winter but have not yet actually tried it out. It does seem even thicker and stronger than the Mountain shirt.

I am only a strip of wind and need all the warmth I can get for the first 20 minutes of a winter ride, so these items are vital.
    Never yet found I need a base layer if I put the correct top on first, and the fibre pile wicks very well, except under a large camelbak. Crotch strap prevents the ride up and bare kidney problem, but can be harsh with the wrong saddle. I have not removed these straps as I know some people do.

PaulD

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Much too hot to use – has to be about -5c to be any good, but then they’re too flappy on the wind.

niloC
    Free Member

I have one of the cycle tops for sale, a few years old but a bit big for me and not used much

Really?, what size? how much?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘I love my Buffalo Special 6 shirt.’ is closed to new replies.