Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • I love Florence as much as the next man, but..
  • DezB
    Free Member

Anyone who uses the "all sounds the same" argument to dismiss ANY music isn't worth listening to.

MSP

Anyone who uses the "all sounds the same" argument to dismiss ANY music isn't worth listening to.

Sometimes its fair criticism, it happens a lot with bands that either have a dominant singer or lead guitarist, they always create the music around the perceived strength of that performer and it does all end up sounding much of a muchness.

DezB
    Free Member

To you maybe.

MSP

Anybody who uses "its you" as a basis of debate, has no understanding of the subject matter.

DezB
    Free Member

What a crock. Music is totally "it's you" – one of the most subjective artforms there is. You obviously have very limited understanding if you really think "It all sounds the same" is a valid criticism. There's no argument.

BigDummy
    Free Member

eth3er
    Free Member

I like the bits I've heard.

MSP

DezB – Member

What a crock. Music is totally "it's you" – one of the most subjective artforms there is. You obviously have very limited understanding if you really think "It all sounds the same" is a valid criticism. There's no argument.

So what your saying is that music is the most subjective atrtform there is, unless someones subjective view is that it all sounds the same, in which case thay are wrong because they don't agree with your subjective viewpoint.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Surely you'd have to know quite a lot and have a pretty good ear for a reductive opinion such as "it all sounds the same" to be right rather than merely ignorant.

I'm in no way qualified to pronounce on whether there are real musical differences between the songs on Lungs or not. I can say whether I like them, which is purely subjective. But if I say they all sound the same then (with my limited grasp of music) I'm just being a cretin. 🙂

eth3er
    Free Member

BD sorry but that looks like a bat.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I watched 65 Days of Static in a cow shed the other day.

no, really.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

There are lots of artists out there where I would struggle to disagree with someone who said "all their songs sound the same", without needing to get into the argument about subjectivity. 10 songs on an album could all have noticeably different melodies but due to the instrumentation, tempo etc they would/could all "sound the same". How many of us thought Scouting for Girls just released remixes of the same song each time a new single came out?? 😆

Owning 3 or 4 Goldfrapp albums – and not being a "big" fan – I can't see how anyone other than the hard of hearing can say they sound the same.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘I love Florence as much as the next man, but..’ is closed to new replies.