Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • I love fellting, I do…
  • DrP

..I really do!

Sometimes I’ll swap a bit over, or take it off and put it on again, just for the sake!
    Just taken some links out of the chain – I did it because I’ve ditched the big ring, but i doubt it’ll make that much difference, but i wanted to do it so i did!

I know it’ll be the end of me one day, and I’ll decide i prefer my brake hoss in two parts for example, but not much makes me happier than fixing the bike, upgrading parts, polishing and generally playing with the bike.
    In fact, sometime i think all the above can bring more joy from the maching than a soggy ride on a dusky day – is this wrong?

The only reason I raise this is because I know of some people who despise ‘fiddling’ with the bike, and for them it’s solely a machine to be ridden.

So, what are your views…?

Are you a persistent tool merchant, or a ride and ignore type?

DrP

taka
    Free Member

your not the only 1 i do it too

DrP

As another example – i went out and bought a pipe cutter just to take 6cm off from the bottom of the seat post. I didn’t use that last 6cm, I didn’t need it, so it had to go!
    36gm saved too you know 😉

DrP

MrNutt
    Free Member

oh there’s something so wrong with you!! 😆

soma_rich
    Free Member

cutting the seat post down is fine.

Weighing the surplus though…. thats just wierd.

I love fidling.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Rich, the more worrying thing is you can guarantee that DrP has the “amputated” part in a jar of formaldehyde! 😆

DrP

it had the ‘weight saved’ increments on the post! I didn’t weigh it!

DrP

MrNutt
    Free Member

is it it a jar though?

come on now, be honest.

taka
    Free Member

i had nearly 2 0f everything to go on my bike so i checked the weight of everything and relised that my seat clamp was 40g hevier than my bolt one so put it on but didnt take into account of the weight of the allen key

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but not much makes me happier than fixing the bike, upgrading parts, polishing and generally playing with the bike.

I love riding my bike, end of. I don’t mind fettling the it when it’s needed, but it doesn’t count as entertainment.

coatesy
    Free Member

I do too, started with just dabbling with cables etc., passed through full rebuilds of everything, and ended with me taking voluntary severance from a job of 28 years to work as a bike mechanic.Like a piggy in poo!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I like to call myself a “Compulsive Mechanic”

I fookin love spannering, me. I’d build bikes for people for free, I love it so much. I don’t want to work in a bike shop though, because if it was a JOB and I had to do it FAST it’s get boring and I wouldn’t enjoy it. I take great pride in having a good toolkit and a tidy garage.
    It’s heaven. A box full of bits, (Instructions optional) a cuppa and some tunes. Bliss.

And then there’s collecting all the bits together beforehand….. Love it!

MrNutt
    Free Member

perhaps if I had a garage or shed it might be different, but having no room to work on my bike makes it a PITA

njee20
    Free Member

I love riding my bike, end of. I don’t mind fettling the it when it’s needed, but it doesn’t count as entertainment.

Yes, I’m with SFB, fiddling is necessary, and doesn’t bother me, but isn’t really entertainment per se.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You don’t understand machines, do you?
    😉

takisawa2

You don’t have small children do you…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Hang on hang on hang on; ‘Fellting’?

WTF is ‘fellting’? Is it some obscure outlandish practice only found in the West Country?

Ear, DrP; I had a dream about having a huge Tapeworm, then preserving it in a jar of Formaldehyde. Only a couple of hours ago.

If I were to have a huge Tapeworm, which then passed through my system, how would I go about Formaldehying it? What would be the correct procedure, from cleaning/preparation of specimen, to sealing the jar?

jack
    Free Member

New blue 456 frame in box – check
    New RS Revs – check
    Donor parts cleaned up and ready – check
    Jonathan Ross on Radio 2 – check
    Kettle on for coffee – check
    Wife and kids out for the day – check

Heaven, off to the garage – see you in a couple of hours 🙂

bikey
    Free Member

I agree with Rudeboy. I love to Fettle, but Fellting is a whole different ball game! Isn’t that an arrestible offence in some countries?
    Dr P you are weird and should be struck off the register!!!

Matt

bomberman
    Free Member

i’m quite excited for you jack you lucky beggar!

bomberman
    Free Member

I think once you learn how to build and maintain your own bikes (and ride the sh*t out of them) there’s no going back. losing my HT2 tool and having to ask my local bike shop to get my cranks off is like asking them to wipe my asre.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘I love fellting, I do…’ is closed to new replies.