Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • "I like their music and songs but I hate his voice"…..Is my wife mad?
  • DezB
    Free Member

Nobody’s mentioned Rush yet?!

that’s cos the music’s as bad as the vocals 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Mrs Gti last week: “Can we go to Canada? I want to see Gordon Lightfoot in concert!”

WTF?

isto
    Free Member

NW – I Would agree about F***ed Up. Think they decided that they were being a bit too musical for a hardcore band so decided to go with the angriest singer imaginable. Still really like them….just get the feeling I would like them more if it wasn’t for Pink Eyes.

I nominate Future Islands. His voice already annoyed me a bit but then I saw this 😯

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c[/video]

Gary_M
    Free Member

Many songs but john Lydon, PiL and the pistols. He knows that he’s not a ‘good’ singer technically but great songs.

langylad
    Free Member

It really really really,really, really doesn’t matter if the singing isn’t perfect, it is the content and emotion that make a good song/artist. You might as well watch sh1te saturday night talent contests on itv if the quality of the voice is more important.

And no,Kirsy’s version of New England is definately not better than Billy’s

langylad
    Free Member

That Future Islands is fab by the way 😀

isto
    Free Member

That Future Islands is fab by the way

Check out his mind moves at 3min 12….can just imagine him saying “try to hit me…..go on try”

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I agree with Bob Dylan’s voice but wouldn’t his songs be just as rubbish sung by someone else?

A short collection of Dylan music that I think has been done much better than Dylan

Dylan can’t sing

DezB
    Free Member

That Future Islands is fab by the way

In a Paul McShane fronting Flock of Seagulls with your dad dancing to it a wedding type way? Yeah, fab.

I love that people who think Dylan can’t sing are missing out on such genius as Subterranean Homesick Blues etc etc etc etc etc.

lemonysam
    Free Member

In a Paul McShane fronting Flock of Seagulls with your dad dancing to it a wedding type way? Yeah, fab.

My sarcasm detector is going off but if someone invited me to a gig describing it like that I’d be there like a shot.

langylad
    Free Member

Just dragged the 15 yr old out of bed to watch Future Islands on You Tube. Needless to say he isn’t coming to the cricket club disco next week, I’m sharpening my moves 😀

rjj
    Free Member

When we play The Smiths in the car my boy always makes the same comment – “I love the music but not the singing!”

DezB
    Free Member

if someone invited me to a gig describing it like that I’d be there like a shot.

You need help! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I used to like The Verve until I noticed Richard Ashcroft’s hideous fake American accent. Can’t listen to them any more. You’re from WIGAN!

Garry_Lager

Love Mercury Rev’s early stuff – Jonathan Donahue’s vocals work great with the heavier sound.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dms5WyiNZJU[/video]

Their later stuff is not my cup of tea at all – his voice sounds really exposed in the more trad arrangements. Seems like they had a bit of a Bez situation – someone in the band who is doing fk-all on the face of it (David Baker in MR), but when he leaves the whole thing changes dramatically.

DezB
    Free Member

I know what you mean, but this is fab –
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7hZatlPE_k[/video]

lemonysam
    Free Member

I always thought his voice was one that didn’t make sense on record but really worked live. Them doing The Dark Is Rising at a gig in Leeds is one of my top live music moments ever.

DezB
    Free Member

How about Barney Sumner? Not a singer, but I love his voice. Expected it to be horrible live, but I was mesmerised.

isto
    Free Member

@NorthWind – have you see this before? Just stumbled across it today. Seems to be a notable improvement with the kids singing instead of Pink Eyes….pretty cool vid also.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syg6XGbdUkM[/video]

Northwind

I’d have paid more attention in music if she’d been my teacher 😆

I dunno, I think his voice works really well on queen of hearts, weirdly it’s the less melodic songs that it grates more.

Ach, I take it back, I’d not change them for anything… It’s the wounded bear vocals on One More Night that make it perfect, it all sounds ripped from the soul

DezB
    Free Member

No rappers been mentioned yet.. so: Tupac – can’t understand the popularity, just a rubbish rapper to my ears!

CountZero

stilltortoise – Member
    I agree with Bob Dylan’s voice but wouldn’t his songs be just as rubbish sung by someone else?

😯
    Of course not! Don’t be silly, there’s nothing wrong with Dylan’s songs, and as I said in my earlier post, his voice was much better on his earlier songs, but has become almost a parody on later recordings.
    And I also said that I really struggled with Richard Thompson’s voice, but I’ve grown to appreciate it over the years, which is partly his voice having matured, along with my own appreciation changing.
    Same with Bill Bragg; I saw him in Frome a year or so ago, and his voice has grown in depth and richness as he’s got older, not an outstanding voice, but much better than it was, and really good live.
    Someone mentioned Thea Gilmore; now that girl can really sing!
    And her voice has gained in richness and depth as she’s got older, too, and having a baby helped as well, apparently.

isto
    Free Member

No rappers been mentioned yet.. so: Tupac – can’t understand the popularity, just a rubbish rapper to my ears!

Can I add JayZ, Lil Wayne, Kanye, Drake & A$AP Rocky to that list.

athgray
    Free Member

Billie Holiday’s voice isn’t great. Lack of range and fragile, but distinctive. I love listening to her, as she packs emotion into her songs, even if it is generally misery.

Also Sonny Boy Williamson II. What he lacks in vocal talent, he makes up for in blues harp playing.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘"I like their music and songs but I hate his voice"…..Is my wife mad?’ is closed to new replies.