• This topic has 91 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • I like cats but….
  • McHamish
    Free Member

I feel kind of bad.

schrickvr6 – Member

You didn’t stop and go back to check?

No I did not.

You potentially allowed someone’s pet to die slowly and in pain…so yes, you should feel bad.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

You potentially allowed someone’s pet to die slowly and in pain…so yes, you should feel bad.

Potentially I’m doing the exact same thing at any given moment of the day. I don’t feel bad.

Oh that would be a good experiment you know, is the cat dead, is it not, if it could be either could it actually be both? I’m surprised no-one has done this before, i suggest we call it jimjam’s cat thought experiment.

Op think on it like this, your ambivalence potentially means the cat is alive and ok. You could potentially have killed it by the action of going back and checking.

eddie11
    Free Member

Potentially I’m doing the exact same thing at any given moment of the day. I don’t feel bad.

Oh that would be a good experiment you know, is the cat dead, is it not, if it could be either could it actually be both? I’m surprised no-one has done this before.

tortuous joke is tortuous

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But you should be mortified Jimjam:

shameless case of kit n run

jimjam
    Free Member

McHamish – Member

There’s a very small chance it died slowly in pain. I felt a pretty solid at the back wheel. The fact that the car behind swerved leads me to believe it was still where my tyre would have been.

Busy main road, no hard shoulder, my lane adjacent to a climbing lane so cars coming off that at probably 70 or 80 realistically, peak time, heavy traffic, it was dark and it was raining. Any over reaction or even realistic attempt to stop could have had serious consequences, including but not limited to the death of other people’s brothers, sisters, mothers fathers, wives and husbands.

Next…

bodgy – Member

Having lost one of the beloved family moggies recently, owing to someone driving too fast through the village and unable to respond appropriately to unanticipated hazards, I have to say I find this thread very distasteful.

Ah well. At least it wasn’t a child, eh?

Good thing I was doing 5 mph UNDER the speed limit isn’t it. And yes, really good thing there wasn’t a child running across three lanes of traffic in the dark during rush hour.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m going to hang about on the classifieds and abuse people who try to sell crap stuff.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Unfortunately its the main risk of cat ownership, and in the modern fast paced world its largely unavoidable.

For whom the Tinkerbell tolls.

martinhutch

Op think on it like this, your ambivalence potentially means the cat is alive and ok. You could potentially have killed it by the action of going back and checking.

The cat is both dead and alive at the same time, thus keeping everyone on the forum happy.

ElShalimo

slimjim78 – Member
    For whom the Tinkerbell tolls.

😀

jimjam
    Free Member

Dave Vanderspek – Member

I had to scrap him off the road.

CAT “C” write off? [/quote]

Genuine lol. Post of the day.

Euro
    Free Member

More of a dogs but(t) man myself.

Console yourself with the act there’s nothing you could really do James. Had something similar a few years back, but with a fox. It was a case of it or me (and surrounding traffic). No contest really. Felt bad after, especially so when having to pick bits of skull from the wheel arch.

jimjam
    Free Member

uro – Member

Felt bad after, especially so when having to pick bits of skull from the wheel arch.

Ah jesus. I couldn’t face inspecting the wheel arch when I got home so left it till this morning, but luckily (for me at least) there were no traces.

Kryton57

so left it

Don’t do that, I ran over a frog with the lawnmower this Spring, couldn’t face inspecting the underside. After several days in the warm weather in a shed with a corrugated plastic roof, it didn’t arg whiff.

His fault – he jumped in front and kermitted suicide.

Euro
    Free Member

luckily (for me at least) there were no traces.

Clean kill. Result 😀

jimjam
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

His fault – he jumped in front and kermitted suicide.

And the puns just keep on coming!

CountZero

So much bad taste on this thread!

You’ve eaten cat, then…

slimjim78
    Free Member

I thought furball warning deserved better tbh.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Euro – Member
    More of a dogs but(t) man myself.

Bestiality’s best boys, bestiality’s best.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I ran over joe cocker. killed ‘im dead I did…

jimjam
    Free Member

monkeysfeet – Member

I ran over joe cocker. killed ‘im dead I did…

You must mean Joe’s cocker…surely. Joe Cocker is alive and well. Isn’t he?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

😆

maccruiskeen

Ah jesus. I couldn’t face inspecting the wheel arch when I got home so left it till this morning, but luckily (for me at least) there were no traces.

I hit a pheasant with a works van once. Made a hell of a bang and I stopped at the next lay-by to check for damage. There was a crack in the grill but not much else apart from feathers.

Delivered the van back to work and it went back to the guys house who usually used it. About a month later he’s backing it out from his house and spots something on the drive – a severed pheasants head.

Pops the bonnet and the theres the rest of a pheasant distributed all around the engine bay 🙂

Pushing that ‘little’ crack in the grill it turned out the half the grill was able to pivot around then spring back.

Poopscoop

Wow, this thread has legs unlike, oh…

rascal
    Free Member

Someone will wake up this morning wondering where their cat is…probably worried why it didn’t come home last night. I’ve been there myself and it’s not nice. It’s ‘smushed’ and won’t be coming home. Nice touch by OP by not stopping and some quality giggles about the demise of someone’s pet…probably by dog owners :-/

jimjam
    Free Member

I’d love to hear you describe the process of how you would stop and go back to inspect the damage, like a modern day road side Francis of Assisi.
    Please elaborate.

LeeW

Don’t forget to mention it was dark and raining Jim, maybe then people will forgive you for not trying to find out if it was still alive.

Sorry, but if your cat doesn’t come home and you live near a main road. It’s pretty obvious (to me) what may have happened.

Jimjam was in the area…

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Once ran a cow over on a motorbike… gross oversimpification I actually hit it on the arse – the cow won and only gave me a side glance as it wandered down the road as I picked myself and my 350 Elsie off the road.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Once ran a cow over on a motorbike… gross oversimpification I actually hit it on the arse – the cow won and only gave me a side glance as it wandered down the road as I picked myself and my 350 Elsie off the road.

Did you start a thread about it though so a bunch of bellends could have a good old laugh?

LeeW

Did you start a thread about it though so a bunch of bellends could have a good old laugh?

If I remember correctly, I think the cow did.

jimjam
    Free Member

LeeW – Member

Don’t forget to mention it was dark and raining Jim, maybe then people will forgive you for not trying to find out if it was still alive.

I can’t really convey how little I care about the forgiveness of anonymous internet strangers. However it does amaze me that people have the arrogance and lack of awareness to comment as though they would “do the right thing” based on absolutely no relevant contextual information.

I mean, it’s almost as if people are just chiming in to signal how virtuous they are without knowing whether I was driving a car or an articulated lorry, whether I was being tail-gaitted by a line of cars, where the nearest house was (if any) whether there was anywhere safe to pull in at all or any other piece of relevant information. And best of all I love how the act of going back to check on a cat which, if not killed instantly would certainly have been seconds later, is somehow more important and more worthy than not causing a car crash.

oldtalent – Member

A second arbiter of thread worthiness arrives.

perditus
    Free Member

But the point is Jimjam you could have stopped when safe to do so and checked the poor creature was dead and taken it to a vet to check for a chip or at the very least posted on the local missing pets fb page – you did that? Common decency would suggest that as a minimum after all there is a possibility you have just killed someone’s well loved pet. You’re not from Croydon by any chance?

poah
    Free Member

Why would the guy stop on a 3 lane road during rush hour to check on a cat?

jimjam
    Free Member

perditus – Member

But the point is Jimjam you could have stopped when safe to do so

Where was it safe to do so? How far away would that be from the cat? How far would you walk along an unlit road in the dark with no footpath and traffic traveling at 60+ mph? Were there any vets open at that time? Where is the nearest vet? Would you stand in the middle of a road at night, in the rain, in heavy traffic to sift through cat remains for a micro chip? There’s a local FB page for missing pets?

You’re not from Croydon by any chance?

Ah, this explains everything.

perditus
    Free Member

Where was it safe to do so? How far away would that be from the cat? How far would you walk along an unlit road in the dark with no footpath and traffic traveling at 60+ mph? Were there any vets open at that time? Where is the nearest vet? Would you stand in the middle of a road at night, in the rain, in heavy traffic to sift through cat remains for a micro chip? There’s a local FB page for missing pets?

I don’t know Jimjam – you’re the cat killer so the obligation is on you to take the most appropriate course of action in the circumstances.

jimjam
    Free Member

perditus – Member

I don’t know

Correct. Remember that.

catfood
    Free Member

The levels of bellendery on here remind me why I stopped visiting the place for several years.

deadkenny
    Free Member

You didn’t stop and go back to check?

No I did not. [/quote]

Oddly hitting a cat and not reporting it is not illegal, and yet hitting a dog is.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q434.htm

Which I don’t think is right. At the very least anyway I’d stop, check it for identification and if near houses, knock on doors to see if it’s theirs. Hassle yes, but pets are a member of people’s families, and some love them more than humans. Otherwise report to police anyway or local council.

poah
    Free Member

Cats are feral while dogs are considered working animals hence the requirement to tell the police. Same goes for sheep, horses and cattle.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Where do the seemingly more sensitive folk draw the mandatory other-people’s-pet-welfare-responsibility line? Rabbit? Gerbil? Spider?

maccruiskeen

catfood – Member
    The levels of bellendery on here remind me why I stopped visiting the place for several years.

We noted your absence but presumed you’d been run over.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘I like cats but….’ is closed to new replies.