Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • I let the OH use my car today
  • highclimber
    Free Member

The turn into our drive is a rather tight left-hand off a 40mph road.

any idea how much it would cost to repair as I don’t think T-cut will, erm…cut it!

MoreCashThanDash

My Mrs put a series of scratches in the rear of my “new” car recently.

I only found out when I got suspicious that we had accumulated more T-Cut and colour polish bottles than normal

👿

maccruiskeen

How fortunate your car is the same colour as a Sharpie 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

New door possibly.

Won’t be cheap To fix it properly I’m afraid.

(ChipsAway would charge £150 just to do the bit on the wheel arch next to the door 🙁 )

cynic-al
    Free Member

Someone’s burst your back door in? 😉

Rscott
    Free Member

Shop around someone drove into my car doing similar damage.

I got quotes from £230 – £600+ vat. Then found a local garage that does lots of fleet work, but is a little out the way.

£200 in total including some bonet chips and some rust on the other side of the car. Excelent work too.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Someone left similar damage to that on my old car about six months back-£250. Yours looks slightly worse though-factor in that and a divorce into your total cost 🙂

T1000
    Free Member

found it cheaper to buy a complete rear door from a breakers

£100 for a complete rear door for a focus same colour and age

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Someone went into my rear bumper when my car was parked, of course they drove off. It was £300ish to get fixed (smashed fog too) but I’ve kept my eye out on eBay and have a new bumper coming for £40 it will also cost a crate or beer for my mate to fit it. It was just a case of waiting for the right colour to come up. Most parts are listed under ‘locking wheel nut’ were you find the whole vehicle being broken. Eg: locking wheel nut Mondeo mk4

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

did you move into that house this week then? Or has the junction tightened up over Christmas? 😉

bigG
    Free Member

I reckon that would cost about six months worth of BJs to fix.

kristoff
    Free Member

It’s a mondeo isn’t it?

Breakers is probably cheapest option. May even stand a chance of finding one the right colour!

cheers_drive

My now wife did that to my car 2 days more we got married, I counted to more than 10 before calmly saying it didn’t mater. Cost £300 to sort, had quotes for £600+. The dent in the wheel arch was worse but no deep scrapes.

coffeeking
    Free Member

New door, cheaper.

samuri
    Free Member

Look at her piercingly and say

“That’s once.”

LadyGresley
    Free Member

It’s just a car – it still works doesn’t?? Now if it had been a bike…

totalshell

hold her hand take her out to the accident scene and rub her nose in it.. … it allegdly works for dogs.

br
    Free Member

Leave it as a reminder to her 😉

And anyway, if you fix it and then she needs to use it again…

djglover
    Free Member

I let the OH use my car today

I’m sure the ritual humiliation on the internet will make her feel much better!

retro83
    Free Member

I had similar damage fixed for under £300 but there were no dents. They said it would have been £100-200 more if there had been.

jekkyl

someone’s not having any new shoes or handbags for a few years

highclimber
    Free Member

All very good replies, thanks. I am not married, yet thank god! I live in darkest north wales and the choice of breakers around here is limited.
    She’s gonna ask around the local body shops for a price. I’m not too concerned about the door and wouldn’t mind paying for a respray of the door as if I was to find a door i’d have to probably get that done anyway.

I’ve mooted the favours (BJ) method of repayment but she wisely pointed out that the door would still need fixing and that I am poor!

highclimber
    Free Member

someone’s not having any new shoes or handbags for a few years

Luckily she’s not that type of girl and she’s the bread winner anyway!

Rscott
    Free Member

Stick this on the car and leave it

Caution: woman driver bumper sticker by instrumentalia
    View other Woman Bumper Stickers

popstar
    Free Member

Ok, if you want to be a realman … no need to panick. Let her sort out repairs, it doesn’t matter if it costs more. Woman doing all legwork and striking a bargain is very good for her future driving. Then you always can nag her about poor deal she’s got in case if she needlesly naggs you in future. Win win. And clever. Like a MrT.

mightymule
    Free Member

That’s nothing.

I borrowed my OH’s car a couple of years ago and slightly crashed it. Into my Mother’s car…..

It wasn’t a great day for me.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Leave it till the better weather is here. Alter the entrance to your drive instead. Sods law says that the day after you get that done some idiot will slide into or bump you when the snow and ice comes back. Better to get body work done when it’s warmer anyway.

Brainflex

T cut will take a lot of that out. Take the interior trim off, warm panel on outside with heatgun or hairdryer and push it out from the inside.

mightymule
    Free Member

Widen your driveway – using her car 😈

monkey_boy
    Free Member

havent read most of the above but wife banged our fiesta and it had ‘similar’ish’ outcome to you and it was £220.

project
    Free Member

What has a tight turn off a 40mph road got to do with anything, unless as a woman she thought she had to attempt and fail to do it at 40mph.

wolly
    Free Member

It’s about time you got a new patio 😉

stavromuller
    Free Member

You’ve got it made mate. I wrote off my wife’s car two months before we married and she still holds it against me if she puts even the slightest mark on her car since and that was twenty seven years ago! What you’ve got there is future weaponry.

Markie
    Free Member

I borrowed my OH’s car a couple of years ago and slightly crashed it. Into my Mother’s car…..

That’s glorious!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You should easily be able to pick a door at a scrapyard for £30 or even ebay, maybe another £100 to get it sprayed, that should be a far easier route than trying to repair such a big dent.

I had a daft accident breaking the tailgate glass in our Passat. U-Pull-It had one for £30. An hour or so with some spanners had it replaced before the rain came.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mrs Coolhandlukes car looks a bit like that only she has a fondness for getting the wheel arches. Only 1 corner remains in showroom condition.

I’ve told here she can have a new car when she drives for over 12 months without incident.

Guessing her 08 Fiesta will remain in the household for some time then.

To the OP, don’t get it fixed too soon. Leave it as a reminder.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Every single member of our family has bashed a car on the pillars on the driveway of my parent’s house.

* My brother did it once just driving out (he’s also managed to destroy seven wing mirrors, five on the car he was driving and two from other people’s cars…)

* My dad did it once driving out. In his defence he was quite flustered and panicked, I was 13 and had gone ‘missing’ – I’d gone on a shopping adventure to Walsall, then to Merry Hill, then Birmingham. My parents had thought I’d be back about 3 or 4pm, but I missed all the buses back home. I phoned at 7.30pm to ask for a lift – my parents had been going bonkers, to the point where my dad was digging out recent photos…

* I did it once turning into the drive – I was learning to drive at the time. Ah, my dad’s immortal words. “You’re fine, turn a bit more, you’re fine, you’re fine” *CRUNCH* “Yeah, that’s a bit close”. Caught it on the hinge where a gate used to hang, tore open the side of the car like a can. That was £150 odd in the late 90s…

* My mother. Oh god, my mother. She annoys me because every terrible stereotype you’ve heard about women drivers, driving mothers and elderly drivers… she ticks all the boxes. Her car is dented to holy hell. She also once gave me directions when I’d just learned to drive, which included, “At the second island, get in the middle lane”.

The second island had no middle lane. When I quizzed her about this, she said, “Oh, I straddle the two lanes so people know what I’m doing”.

mightymule
    Free Member

That’s glorious!

No – glorious was my Father’s response:

“Not to worry – at least you weren’t driving your own car” 😀

qu1nt
    Free Member

Assuming the door’s repairable (& none of us can see enough from a photo) then I’d expect it to be around £300 including the repair to the rear quarter panel/dog leg. Don’t waste your time with mobile repairers as they’ll never achieve a good enough finish outside on that size of area especially on a black car.
    The colour will be Panther Black so the good news is that if you decide on a 2nd hand door then the colour will match & you won’t need to worry about blending into the rear door. That said, there’s always a risk buying a used door due to damaged parts on delivery & you’ll most likely have to swap drop glass, window regulator & loom etc over into the new door.

This is what I do for a living but sadly I’m not local enough to help but feel free to message me for any advise

Chris

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘I let the OH use my car today’ is closed to new replies.