Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • I know there's a lot of camera peeps on here, advice please!
  • gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I’ve finally had enough of trying to get decent pics on my iPhone so I’m going to jump into getting a proper camera. Originally I was looking at the Nikon d5300 but as I’m going travelling soon I don’t really want to be dragging around a separate bag just for camera stuff….

So after endless googling and reading reviews the camera that’s taken my fancy is the Fuji XT-10 which is released later this month. I know I’m a beginner and this model seems a bit much for a first camera, but I’m one of those old fashioned people that likes to keep things and not upgrade every time a new model is released.

So then camera people, what do you reckon? Is there any other mirrorless machines I should be looking at?

I will state, I would like to have WIFI for transfers to iCloud and stuff, and interchangeable lenses for future fettling….

Cheers

Lee. 🙂

cp

Do you want an evf or are you happy using the rear LCD screen?

tragically1969
    Free Member

I have just ditched dSLR for M4/3 (Olympus OMD E-M10) and am more than happy.

I think you would struggle to buy a really bad camera now, generally go and fondle a few and see what feels best in your hands. Current top picks seem to be the OMD, the Panasonic GX7, Sony Alpha A6000 and the Fuji’s

Only thing I am finding is that battery life is pretty low with mirrorless, so factor in at least 2 spares when you decide to buy anything (plenty of clones on Amazon that are good quality)

tragically1969
    Free Member

Do you want an evf or are you happy using the rear LCD screen?

Good question that, I always think if moving from compact to M4/3 or any CSC then you probably won’t want/need one, going from dSLR to M4/3 it was the first thing on my list and why I ruled out the Panasonic as it wasn’t as good as the OMD EVF, to my eyes anyway.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

Yes, ideally would like an EVF too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought about a DSLR recently but the size looked like I’d leave it at home mostly.

Got a Sony A5000 for £200, pic quality seems great, it’s nice and light/small too.

dpreview and dxomark have good comparison tools.

cp

If EVF was not important I was going to suggest the a5000 from sony’s outlet for 200 quid.

CountZero

I’ve finally had enough of trying to get decent pics on my iPhone

Perfectly possible to get amazing photos on an iPhone; however, there are very clear and obvious restrictions on the camera, no zoom for starters, so having a camera with a wider zoom range does make a difference. I use an old LUMIX TZ30, has a pretty good zoom, small enough to stick in a jacket pocket, and doesn’t attract the attention of security at gigs.
    Given the funds, I’d love one of the new Sony compacts, what used to be called the NEX series, now an Alpha, or one of the similar size Panasonics.
    There are some bridge cameras around with amazing zoom range, but their similarity to a DSLR attracts too much unwanted attention from people who only see a ‘professional’ camera, and get very bolshy about it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you’re looking at an Fuji XT-10 you should look at the sony a7. Same size, same price but with a full size sensor.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I have been looking at the Sony’s too, also the Lumix. In the price range I’m looking at they all seem to be a much of muchness, have also been looking at the Fuji x100t which seems another alternative.

I reckon the next step for me would be to go to my local photography shop and have a fiddle around.

This is a whole new world I’m stepping into and I’m not going to rush into anything, hence me trying to collate as much information as possible before shelling out any cash!

Cougar

I have to ask,

Do you want to take up photography, or just take “better pictures”? Only, spunking £800 on an interchangeable lens camera might not be your best option if you’re just planning on leaving it in Auto and squeezing the trigger. You can spend a quarter of that and get the same results. The point of these things primarily is that they give you creative control, all the gear in the world isn’t going to turn you into David Bailey.

OTOH, if you’re willing to invest a bit of time and brain into learning how to use it properly, you’ll have a blast.

BillMC

I replaced a TZ30 with a Sony RX100, much much better and very compact. 21M, I don’t use the flash and images and videos are great. RX100 is very adjustable but also good for technophobes.

gustard_cannet
    Free Member

I initially want to learn about photography, I would much rather buy something decent in the first place and invest the time in trying to use that properly (still riding a 10 year old P7).

kiwijohn

If you want to learn photography, you can pick up a decent film camera for peanuts. A lot less bells & whistles to get in the way.
    Every shot is going to cost you, so you have to think about what you’re doing.
    On the other hand, I’m very tempted by the XT10 & an adapter for my old Canon lenses.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘I know there's a lot of camera peeps on here, advice please!’ is closed to new replies.