Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • I know nothing about SoundBars…tell me.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We fancy a better sound from the telly but don’t want the full surround sound speaker setup as the room’s got enough in it, so is a soundbar a good option & what do I need to know?
    Budget’s about £125-£175.

Thanks!

transapp
    Free Member

I’ve litrally just bought and installed (now listening too) a Samsung HWE 450.
    It’s by no means full surround, however it sounds really good. Clear, dramatic and tight. Very happy with it for music, tv and blueray. If i had the space and right room layout, I’d have speakers around it but I’m happy with the compromise.

iain1775
    Free Member

Thread bookmarked 😉

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

We had a Sony ht- ct260 delivered yesterday. £188 including delivery on Amazon. Still boxed as our tv is built into wall and a nightmare to move. Will install later.

grantway
    Free Member

Psuedo sound
    Works similar to the Three speaker system
    and only goodish in smaller rooms
    Soundbars

sunnrider
    Free Member

Bought an LG NB3520A Soundbar and wireless Sub.
    Our room size is medium sized and it sounds great.
    Cost just over 200€ so it´s in your price range.

Full surround would probably be better but I love not having cables everywhere. Added bonus with the LG is that it has no prob with USB (lots do) and it can also play music via Bluetooth.

Dansk1

Check the bar doesn’t obscure your TV’s IR receiver. Some cleverer ones have repeaters built in the back.

if your TV has HDMI arc (audio return) you can plug bar directly into that then everything should configure itself. Worked for me.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

We have a Samsung HW-E450C and a Bose Cinemate 1 in our house, and they are both excellent. I used to have a full Marantz/Mission/REL surround system which was superb, but when we moved I had to downgrade. Even the expensive Bose doesn’t come close to a “proper” surround system, but the sound from soundbars is considerably clearer and has more weight that the stock flatscreen tv speakers you get these days. The bars do a good job of directing the sound and it does have a wider sound stage than stock speakers also. I would definitely recommend you get one…

BlobOnAStick

We have a Yamaha basic one which was in the price range you quoted.

Soooo much better than the weak and weedy sound that just about escapes from the telly box, but not the full surround experience (I didn’t want that anyway). It has a repeater for the remote control so that if it obscures the detection point it doesn’t stop it working.

There’s a version available with an external bass unit but I can’t see there’s a need for it especially; we don’t have the built-in one at full drive.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I got a Logitech surround system for about £50 and just use the 3 fronts and sub, I need to try disconnecting the sub as it’s loudness-curved (not as simple as unpluggeing as it houses the amps).

My point is you can’t get decent bass from a small box or driver (Ye cannae change the laws of physics captain etc.). I suspect sound bars are the industry’s latest thing that is actually not an improvement.

BlobOnAStick

Hmm, agreed Al, they’re not really an improvement on (all or part of) a surround sound system.

BUT, given the propensity for really crap sound from flatscreen TVs they’re a marked improvement without the trailing wires and the numerous boxes.

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Samsung 3D LED (42″) when Comet was closing down, had held off before partly due to sound qualityissues and still had an old Sony CRT, have to say though sound on it is spot on and I’m not sure a sound bar would be all that much better

transapp
    Free Member

Al, the one I bought comes with a nice big wireless sub.

Please can I say I’m happy with the sound now?

jwt
    Free Member

I realise that this is slightly more than you’re budget, but the sound quality will be worth it.
    HERE and HERE best price I could find with a very quick google, with plenty of mounting options.

RichPenny
    Free Member

^ A sub that rolls off at 50hz 😉

My view on the sound bars I’ve heard is that they do what they’re designed to do pretty well. They’re cheap, unobtrusive and a considerable upgrade on the built in sound of a flat screen tv.

jwt
    Free Member

Considering it fits mounted behind the tv itself, 50Hz isn’t bad . If the OP is looking for a sound bar I’m guessing massive base isn’t what he’s looking for and saves having to site and wire a separate sub.

epicsteve
    Free Member

We’ve got a full home cinema set-up in another room so went with one of the Samsung soundbars when we put our new TV in the living room recently. The sound is a lot better than the TV alone (the soundbar has a wireless sub, which helps) and it does give some semblance of surround-sound as well.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Yep it’s probably not too bad. Still the equivalent of a 1″ FS bike though 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Any one else tried this?, I quite like it, a bit forthright in it’s delivery & quite bass biased (a bit like Bose stuff), but not to bad for the money.
    I use a REL stadium & Kef in my main setup, & it is a rather different experience, but I still enjoy the soundbar for what it is, IE an improvement on the crap speakers in the TV.

Cheers.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Now installed. Soundbar fixed to wall under tv that is the false wall. Sub under console table behind sofa. Sounds excellent . Room is open plan with dinning room so quite large but we have a hardwood floor and no carpet . Don’t no if this helps. The Bluetooth streaming is ace also. Running spotify on iPad . No complaints

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve narrowed it down to two choices, this…..

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-sc-htb20eb-k-2-1-soundbar-13878547-pdt.html

Or this…..

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-nb3520a-2-1-sound-bar-13184194-pdt.html

I can have either for £179.99. The Panasonic was £250 in our local leccy shop & £200 in Currys but they’ll match Richer sounds. The LG looks a better bet as the sub’s wireless & the output’s bigger but I haven’t heard either!
    Waddya reckon?

dknwhy

I got the LG one last week at the same time as we bought an LG Plasma TV. Opted for it as the brands match and the soundbar remote also switches the TV on and off.
    Very easy to install and I was really surprised at how good it sounds. Plenty of bass from the sub and a massive improvement in terms of viewing pleasure.
    Bluetooth is a nice touch. Have been streaming music from my Macbook and it works really well. For the price and ease of installation, it’s well worth the investment.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘I know nothing about SoundBars…tell me.’ is closed to new replies.