Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • I know nothing about air compressors, other than I want one..
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

you know, the normal questions. what size, volume, colour, shape, etc should i go for? is it possible to buy new for a £100 budget?

Im looking for a suitable solution for getting my tubeless tyres to seat properly..fed up of heading down the petrol station with tyre jizz leaking all over the place.

tazzymtb

use a track pimp and MTFU.

In years of running ghetto and proper tubeless set ups I’ve never had to resort to a compressor you big ladies blouson!

sv

Screwfix or Machine Mart should have something for that budget. They are great for tyre inflation and parts drying/cleaning.

sugdenr
    Free Member

had one for years, a million uses if you get a few tools and sprayers

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Yep – really handy if you like fixing stuff. You can get air tools like sanders, polishers, wrenches, chisels….. These seem to last for ever as there is no motor in them.

If its just for tyres – a basic compressor is fine. Basic is also fine for impact wrenches, spraying – BUT the small tank will mean the motor cuts in a lot more often and do your head in.

They are NOISY! The use a LOT of current. On startup mine draws close to the 12A breaker in my garage so I have to make sure not to have much other stuff running at the same time. You should change the oil in them from time to time (like an engine). If using tools an in-line oiler is a good idea (saves you having to remember to oil the wrenches etc).

Got my latest one from Machine Mart in a sale. It’s fine. The also did (do?) a bundle of common tools that’s good value (tyre inflator, wrench, basic sprayer…). Remember to get a presta – schrader adapter if you’ve got prestas.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Agree with Sugdenr but probably not quite a million if I’m honest.

Bought mine as I wanted to spray a fibreglass top for my truck I got on Ebay (wrong colour for my truck) and it was cheaper to buy a compressor and the paint than to get someone to spray it up.

Loads of uses for it including blowing up tyres, spraying, inflating paddling pools, blowing dust off stuff, errm, running out of ideas now.

Mine was £100 with paint spraying gear and a few other handy fittings like a curly hose, a gun thingy and tyre pressure gauge / blower whatsit.

Sometimes Aldi do compressors.

get one, well worth it and lots of uses but maybe not quite a million.

Northwind

I resprayed my motorbike with a £40 one from B&Q… 1hp, 25 litre receiver, 5cfm, pathetic thing really. It did explode its little heart eventually, so replaced it with an £80 SIP off ebay, which is still going strong.

Dan1502
    Free Member

As an alternative you could use CO2 cylinders and inflator – I’ve not tried mine yet (bought in case of trouble inflating whilst out and about) as I find a track pump fine but cylinders are cheap on ebay.

nosedive
    Free Member

I got one from screwfix for about £65 with hoses and a tyre inflator. 5 litre tank I think and fine for inflating bike and car tyres. I reckon it has paid for itself by now with the saving by not having to use petrol station air machines

deviant
    Free Member

If it’s just for tyres then any old thing will do, I use one that cost me £4.99 from a petrol station and runs from the cigarette lighter, runs up to 200psi apparently but i never go above 40psi on the tyres anyway….should leave you with £95 change to spend on tyres!

Northwind

That’s fine for inflating a tube or beaded tyre, but worse for tubeless inflation than a trackpump- very low presure

slimjim78
    Free Member

use a track pimp and MTFU.

30 mins of swearing and sweating again with my track pump this evening has convinced me its time to get real. Besides, real men covet tools.

I’d also be keen on spraying etc as mentioned above, is it best to avoid the ‘in-line oil’ ones? whats the difference?

Matt24k
    Free Member

+1 for SIP compressors. Had mine for almost 20 years and it’s still going strong. You’ll spend as much again on air tools over time as you’ll keep adding to the collection.

P20

Pykey inflator, works and about 9p

deviant
    Free Member

Northwind, i dont understand your post?….my cheap compressor that runs to 200psi and regularly inflates my own tyres between 35-40psi (and has done my car tyres a few times) is worse than a track pump?….not having a dig but interested as to why this is, the gauge runs from 0-200 and is pretty accurate too….i wouldnt go back to inflating tyres by hand after the ease with which a compressor gets them done!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

is it best to avoid the ‘in-line oil’ ones

My inline oiler fits onto the air line-not in the compressor itself. Only used with wrenches – ie I take it off for spraying / inflating.

deviant – I think Northwind means that the car compressors are fine but dont have the initial massive blast of air to get a tubeless tyre to seat on the rim. The do of course pump up tyres – buy maybe not fast enough to get them to seat.

edhornby

is your bike on a workstand or stood up when you try to seal the tyres? my thinking is that the pressure on the carcass of the tyre can unseat just enough….

deviant
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda, cheers hadnt thought about it like that!

Northwind

deviant – Member

Northwind, i dont understand your post?….my cheap compressor that runs to 200psi and regularly inflates my own tyres between 35-40psi (and has done my car tyres a few times) is worse than a track pump?….

For tubeless, yup.

handyman
    Free Member

i have a 3 gallon one its great for tubeless and i have a couple of nail guns which do staples and up to 2inch nails its amazing how useful it is and i also do the kids inflatables for the pool, oh and the car if neccessary

slimjim78
    Free Member

any links to one that looks best bet for circa £100?

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I have a few workshop air compressors for sale…

One may be a tad more than you need though – the tank is about 5ft long and 2 feet high. Has a whacking great compressor on it too. Actually, might keep that one…

Stoner
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

any links to one that looks best bet for circa £100?

This looks reasonable:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/michelin-mb24-24ltr-230v-compressor-5-piece-accessory-kit/24375

globalti
    Free Member

Stoner, that guy scared me more than the maniac in Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

simonm
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good Presta head for a compressor ? I’ve got one from Ebay thats a pain to connect / disconnect, end up taking my knuckles off on the discs.

cheers.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good Presta head for a compressor ?

I didnt even know such a thing existed! I just use one of those presta-schrader 99p adapter brass things along with a standard schrader head. Only downside is that the damn thing is small so tends to get lost.

jota180
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good Presta head for a compressor ?

I use one of these grafted onto a normal compressor bloweruperer attachment.

simonm
    Free Member

Ive got the Prestaflator,

But just seen there doing a right angle one that looks much better to get on / off…

simonm
    Free Member

OOO, that one is nice though,

slimjim78
    Free Member

/\ nice! gotta get me one of them..

Zedsdead – let me know if you have one at my price point.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘I know nothing about air compressors, other than I want one..’ is closed to new replies.