Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I know, i know Combi Boilers……. I have checked but cant find the threads
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Only want Worcester Bosch
    Have searched for previous threads and swear i have read info on recommendations from a few helpfull people on here. I have given honest advice in the past on vans etc so maybe someone will repay the favour.

Need a combi boiler for my 3 bed semi Barrett house.

The offers seem to depend on which way the wind is blowing. The warranty seems to change by the hour. The spec seems to have massive overlaps etc etc.

I just want one that is not going to be working to hard to do its job, have a long warranty and hopefully cost less than £1k

Any help appreciated

Marko

I just want one that is not going to be working to hard to do its job, have a long warranty and hopefully cost less than £1k

Not fitted it won’t.

Where abouts are you?

Marko

bear-uk
    Free Member

Mine cost £1100 trade with the wireless controller about 5 years ago.
    Seem to be a good choice.
    My mum has a Valiant and its nothing but trouble.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I have fitting sorted. A builder friend is doing some alteration work to a bedroom and removing an existing storage system and fitting the combi system. He will then get another plumber in to certify etc at the end.

Just the boiler to buy. TBH he said he will get it but to tell him which one to get is a nightmare. Went in a couple of big nationals yesterday and they just grunted at me and handed me a few brochures.

somouk
    Free Member

It will always depend on who fits it for the warranty, use one of their approved people and keep it serviced etc you should get the 7 year deal but it will cost a lot more than £1000.

One of their greenstar appliances would probably do you, I’d go for the 30i just incase you fit any showers running off it in the future.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

somouk – thats what i have been looking at tbh. I got a few prices yesterday but the guy was talking about a Greenstar 38CDI Classic for his (Large) 3 bed house. Seemed overkill from what i could fathom.

The brochure had 29/34/38/42. I have seen other models advertised as well but i cant see the 30I other than in the condensing boiler range…..

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

What is the warranty if its not fitted by Worcester approved fitter? We have ours on service plan so always looked after

ransos
    Free Member

I got a few prices yesterday but the guy was talking about a Greenstar 38CDI Classic for his (Large) 3 bed house. Seemed overkill from what i could fathom.

Not necessarily. We wanted to have sufficient hot water to run two showers simultaneously, which means buying one of the larger boilers – ours is the 42 I think. It doesn’t cause over heating as it modulates down.

wrecker
    Free Member

Greenstar 38CDI Classic for his (Large) 3 bed house. Seemed overkill from what i could fathom.

That’s HUGE! I have just snagged a building with a Greenstar 35CDi and that is serving 33 radiators!
    It had a pretty snazzy wireless controller.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Thats what i was thinking wrecker

wrecker
    Free Member

A 700×900 rad is about 1kW output and (as the name would suggest) the Greenstar is 35 kW. An electric shower on high is normally 5.5kW (heat output for a mech would be similar).
    Ransos’ may be such sized as a smaller boiler may not have been capable of delivering the flow, as opposed to the heat power.

olly2097
    Free Member

Greenstar 28i in our house. Next time I’d plump for something with better water pressure. Super pressure going in. Bit piddly coming out.
    3 bed semi. Heats the house super quick though

slimporcini
    Free Member

we had a greenstar 30i fitted about 2 months ago in our 3 bed terraced house powering 7 radiators, it’s larger and more powerful than the boiler it replaced, it has been superb so far, hot water flow very nearly matches cold too which is great for the shower.

worcester greenstar 30i

as far as i know all combi boilers are condensing now

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

After reading the other thread i am now torn.

The Worcester B Greenstar 29CDI i can get for £1140 including flu
    The Logic +30 i can get for £915 including flu

Worcester would only get the basic warranty as not a approved installer but the guy at plumb centre assured me the Logic just needs registered and it gets the 7yr warranty.

£200+ cheaper and lots more warranty.

Anyone know enough to make an informed choice for me please

tinybits
    Free Member

Can I jump onto the thread please?

We have quite low water pressure, but would love decent pressure hot water. Given we have to replace the existing combi later in the year, what options do we have?

wrecker
    Free Member

I think the W-B might also need a magnaclean filter installing in order to get any warranty, the one I just looked at did. They are brilliant though.
    Worth checking about the Ideal Logic one, you don’t want to think you’ll be getting an amazing warranty and it not be honored if needed.

Given we have to replace the existing combi later in the year, what options do we have?

Gravity system? Got a CWS tank? no matter, talking about hot water sorry!
    Booster set!
    http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/wcsstore7.00.00.530/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/AssetPush/DTP_AssetPushHighRes/std.lang.all/hu/re/Grundfos_WPressureBoosting_Brochure.pdf

slimporcini
    Free Member

we had the choice of a logic or a worcester. the logic came with with an extra years warranty but the guy fitting it wanted £200 more so we went with the other guy who offered us the worcester. it would seem that the better deal for you would be the logic, longer warranty and cheaper too

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Going to the store tomorrow to gen up on warranty situation etc. 7yrs warranty is appealing.

Couldnt tell you who makes my current boiler but its 14yrs old and hasnt had much wrong with it. Going to speak to the installer as well and see what he thinks.

Thanks for the help

northernmatt

Worcester boilers will always be expensive. They trade on the name, a bit like Santa Cruz, expensive and Canyon will do the same job for less money. Internally there is little to differentiate them from any other boiler apart from a fancy friction stir welded main heat exchanger.

We have sold (as a company) about 500 Ideal Logics in the past 12 months. Not had any problems with any of them. The very very first ones onto the market around 7-8 years ago had an issue with the main heat exchanger but that was fixed pretty quickly and is no longer a problem. £915 seems expensive though unless you are having a vertical flue. Most fitters would put a magnetic filter in on every boiler, make sure your guy puts inhibitor in as well as it’ll be a condition of the warranty. If manufacturer thinks it hasn’t been put in they can check it and will charge you if it hasn’t.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

You need to factor in the servicing costs for the warranty too! £60-80 or so for a yearly fettle on your boiler multiplied by 7 years adds up.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Northernmatt- would you be able to supply mine?

andyl
    Free Member

You need to factor in the servicing costs for the warranty too! £60-80 or so for a yearly fettle on your boiler multiplied by 7 years adds up.

Surely you want to service it yearly anyway?

Bimbler
    Free Member

Mookbark

trail_rat
    Free Member

Work out what you want to run hot water don’t just use your radiator requirement or you’ll be another fueling the fire that combos are crap at hot water.

Parents put a wb 42cdi in back in 2004 it’s still going strong and copes with running a bath at full tilt or 2 mixer showers at same time.

I put in a grant vortex pro 32 in my house (only one bathroom) and taps on at full belt no drop in temperature or pressure it’s ace.

Technically we both should have had 26kw boilers in but the water capacity of a 26kw was a joke

northernmatt

YGM littleshobo

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Glad i put this up. Matt is being very helpful

ransos
    Free Member

Parents put a wb 42cdi in back in 2004 it’s still going strong and copes with running a bath at full tilt or 2 mixer showers at same time.

Yup, same here. The manufacturers publish the hot water flow rate so you can compare different boilers.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I know, i know Combi Boilers……. I have checked but cant find the threads’ is closed to new replies.