• This topic has 154 replies, 58 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 35 posts - 121 through 155 (of 155 total)
  • I knew my wife was 'a-musical' but really…..
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

“… and for all the little piggies, life is getting worse…”

😆 😆 😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“In their eyes there’s something lacking, what they need’s a damn good thrashing.”

😈

bellerophon
    Free Member

so which musical is she?

brassneck

<AlanPartridge>

Wings… the band the Beatles could have been!

</AlanPartridge>

geetee1972
    Free Member

so which musical is she?

If she were ‘a musical’ she’d be either Evita or Cats or more likely a combination of the two.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Cavita???

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cavita???

Isn’t that something your shock does when it’s trying to cycle too much damping fluid?

cheese@4p

Where is Beatles Band?

cinnamon_girl

You had to be there to ‘get it’ boys. 🙄

So much tosh on this thread.

failedengineer

Crikey, if you lot think the Beatles were derivative and crap ……

What about Oasis, pulp, Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay Snow Patrol et al? I’m not a big Beatles fan, but surely most ‘modern’ pop music owes them a nod?

Richard Thompson’s still doing some fairly unclassifiable stuff. I’ve just got a CD from a band called Erland and the Carnival that is a bit different, but even that sounds vaguely 60’s ish in parts. Anyone remember the Incredible String Band?

Junkyard
    Free Member

In their [eyes there’s something lacking, what they need’s a damn good thrashing whacking

I did not even have to google for that 😳

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Who are The Beatles?

Junkyard
    Free Member

gary a rather straightforwrd unimaginative troll there, you can usully muster something so much more offensive than that. You just tired today ? Has winding people up got too much for you? Lost all your bile on the Mc cann thread? Perhaps a poor taste joke about the dead ones or Mc cartneys late wife?

crikey
    Free Member

You had to be there to ‘get it’ boys.

That’s what my Gran says! 😳

JOKE ALERT….

philconsequence
    Free Member

harvey was filmed and released long before i was born, but i didnt have to be there to appreciate it as a great film… i appreciate lots of stuff, just not the beatles 😉

sadexpunk

You had to be there to ‘get it’ boys.

have you not just lost the ‘argument’ with that staement? :-p

you didnt have to ‘be there’ when mozart or beethoven were alive to recognise their skill. you didnt have to ‘be there’ when dali was painting to recognise his art.
    you just admire the skill and artistry without having to like it.

and of course, in a few years time, nobody will listen to the spice girls for the first time and say its any good, unless they were there.

if you can only ‘not think theyre rubbish’ unless you were there, id suggest theyre actually a bit sh*t 😉

have i won now? 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Who is Junkyard?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good call over Harvey you have gone up in my esteem I am sure this means a lot to you
    EDIT: I can’t type for the laughter tears ….keep it up gary loving your stuff hilarious no really you are.

philconsequence
    Free Member

it does, lets hug.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

What does that even mean Junkyard?

Am I detecting a hint of sarcasm amongst the bad grammar?

😉

yunki
    Free Member

I was thinking of wading in at this point.. flashing some rock n roll credentials and scattering some phillistines like unrequited love notes blowing in the breeze… but then I remembered that some people actually really enjoy listening to soft rock..

so it really does take all sorts to make a world..
    wierd

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Are we still not allowed to dislike the Beatles!

Northwind

Junkyard – Member

“it is foolish to try and suggest that the best selling band of all time were over rated”

Seems blindingly obvious that the more records you sell, the more likely it is that you’re overrated, to me.

Woody
    Free Member

Just got in from work and PMSL @ Northwind and philconsequence

Rather an amusing non-argument and assumptions that I am/was angry and a Beetles fan. Wrong on both counts.

However, Philc – I did assume (wrongly?) that you have less talent than any of The Beetles, so if you really are an undiscovered musical genius or even a mega star trolling on STW, please accept my apologies.

tazzymtb

Simon cowell says the beatles wouldn’t have made in todays pop world or the X factor

The 49 year-old pop mogul said drummer Ringo Starr would not have made the grade during the gruelling auditions for the ITV reality show.

Speaking to actress and fellow Britain’s Got Talent judge Amanda Holden, Cowell said that only Paul McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison would have ticked all the boxes.

As a result, he admitted, the Fab Four would have failed to get through the early stages in their orginal form.

so there you have the beatles are a crap as Jedward officially

CASE CLOSED! ALL YOU SAD BEATLES FANS MAY AS WELL JUST GO AND JOIN JEDWARD.NET

Woody
    Free Member

Simon Cowell is 3 days younger than me – he is NOT 49 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Guys – I can put up with all the insults. At my age I’ve heard them all. 🙄

OK, I never really liked The Beatles, the Stones were so much more … ahem … exciting and b*a*d. 😉

But they were unique and, importantly, evolved. Made a huge contribution to ‘modern music’ and whilst I was a little young, I do remember the fever with which they were received.

But in the wings was Hendrix and, to me, he was just AWESOME! So cool, was doing stuff nobody had ever seen or heard of before.

Of course, if The Beatles were such rubbish, why are they still being talked about?

Some people have made some very good observations on this thread, funnily enough most of you just don’t ‘get it’.

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

Were they not simply the first Boy band? The main reason that they became so sucessful was a……the marketing hype ( beatles wigs? dolls ?), and b……. they were fairly bland and offended the least possible number of people thus helping to shift the maximum number of units, that always works… just look at the X Factor.

They were very tight and well rehearsed in the early days, but in essence they were an American r’n b cover band for years. Then they just started mimicing what bands in the US were doing, If all they had to compete with in the UK was “Itsy bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini” I’m not surprised they did quite well. I work in the music industry and I know very few people who consider the Beatles to have been an influence on their music.

Apart rom paperback writer and here comes the sun, I always thought they were pretty dull That however is just my opinion.:)

edhornby

this thread is something else…. interesting that the beatles are referred to as a boy band, they were formed by John Lennon and few managers or labels would give them the time of day at first. If we are going to point the boy band finger at any of the other bands mentioned, it would be the Sex Pistols, formed by a manager to fulfil a recording contract already in place.

as for Cowells comments about the Beatles not getting past the audition stage, that’s hilarious, not only do the auditions he sits in on have no real musical instruments (just people singing to backing tapes), but the man has cloth ears, lest we forget he is responsible for the ‘musical’ careers of David Hasslehoff and also Robson and Jerome

btw I like some of the beatles output but I’m not a slavish fan, I also like lots of other stuff. Consider that Jaco Pastorius was a beatles fan, and he’s considered one of the most influential modern jazz musicians (not only an amazing player but a supremely talented composer also)

and I’m surprised I’m the first to point it out but the thread title should be un-musical

DezB
    Free Member

Apart rom paperback writer and here comes the sun, I always thought they were pretty dull
    That is your opinion

Were they not simply the first Boy band?
    That shows your opinion isn’t worth airing

😕

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Well, a-musical kind of means without a musical sense, unmusical implies a property going against a musical sense.

like unhappy as opposed to not happy

geetee1972
    Free Member

and I’m surprised I’m the first to point it out but the thread title should be un-musical

Well, a-musical kind of means without a musical sense, unmusical implies a property going against a musical sense.

Yes, my wife has no musical sense. To her it’s all just ‘noise’. I once had some music on while she was upstairs. I went up to get something and asked what she thought about the music. She said ‘I like it’. I asked what she liked about it. She replied

‘That it’s down there and I’m up here’ 🙄

philconsequence
    Free Member

Woody – Member
    Just got in from work and PMSL @ Northwind and philconsequence

Rather an amusing non-argument and assumptions that I am/was angry and a Beetles fan. Wrong on both counts.

However, Philc – I did assume (wrongly?) that you have less talent than any of The Beetles, so if you really are an undiscovered musical genius or even a mega star trolling on STW, please accept my apologies.

apology accepted woody 😀

although i may have to correct you slighty…

so if you really are an undiscovered musical genius or even a mega star trolling on STW, please accept my apologies.

this thread has kept me highly entertained 😆

i have never listened to enough beatles to comment on if i like them enough. i’d probably like them, but for the sake of this thread… they were awful and couldn’t write a musical diddy to save their lives.

molgrips
    Free Member

Listen to the Beatles harmonies on their early recordings. They must’ve been able to really sing. Seem to remember hearing live recordings of them doing it just the same, to prove it. But I could be wrong.

If you listen carefully to the early records and other records of the time you can see that they are talented – at least John and Paul were. Most simple pop tunes you can just grab a guitar and belt them out after having a few listens. I tried the same with Yesterday and it’s actually quite complex. To produce stuff like this shows quality songwriting craft to begin with, but to do it at a time when everyone else is just belting out happy crappy tunes or derivative immitation R&B shoes real integrity and creativity.

DezB
    Free Member

Co-incidence that this has just been announced? Or is down to the interest on STW??

Viewing 35 posts - 121 through 155 (of 155 total)

The topic ‘I knew my wife was 'a-musical' but really…..’ is closed to new replies.