Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • I killed my winter commuter today
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

Went out for a ride on my winter commuter today and was rolling along a dead end road really enjoying the ride. Changed gear and the mech hanger snapped, mangled the chain and pulled the mech into the spokes. Tried to singlespeed it to get me home but the chain was too twisted to stay on the rings. Fatigue I guess as shifts have been fine. Had to phone the broom wagon.

So bearing in mind it’s a 2007 jake the snake that could do with new wheels, needs chain, cassette, mech hanger, rear mech and probably chainset I’m wondering if it’s worth calling it quits on a frame that’s done about 40,000 miles and buying a new complete bike. Just not sure it’s worth spending a fair bit of money on it, ongoing stuff is fine but not sure this amount makes sense. Frame also has a groove under the bb where the cables worn through and it’s pretty battered.

I don’t like giving up on things but may be time to move on.

kcal

aye, you may be right. I nursed my old road bike along for many years – bought s/h in 1985 !! Falcon Grand Prix. It had a wonky freewheel / axle, the seat post was corroded in, but it was ‘ok’. Ultimately what killed it was a broken spoke, drive side – reckoned it was just going to be too much hassle. Broke it for spares (old Campag Record IIRC) and regained what I’d paid paid for it (inflation not adjusted).

Sometimes have to let go and get something equally nice as that was at the time.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Convert it to a single speed..

amedias
    Free Member

Well as always it’s never about saving money, it is very very rarely cheaper to just buy a new bike, repair is normally always cheaper unless you’ve knackered everything! so you could repair it cheaply*, but if you want a new bike go for it 🙂

* how cheap is up to you, if it is just the drivetrain that’s knackered, well cassettes are £10-20, chain is £12, even rings/chainset could be done for <£50. Even a complete Tiagra groupset @£200 + some wheels for <£100 would basically turn it back into ‘new’ as the frame won’t have worn out. If it’s just a workhorse then 2nd hand bits or trickledown from upgrades (yours or friends) can make it even more cost effective. Do you have a local bike project/recycle scheme?

Frame also has a groove under the bb where the cables worn through

For this frame and for future ref, get some of the clear/black cable liner from sealed cables, run a short length under the BB and run the cable through it, should help massively with the above problem and changing a bit of cable liner once in a while when it’s worn out is easy.

Gary_M
    Free Member

No point converting to singlespeed, I’d still need to buy a set of wheels and they frame really is pretty shagged. Plus there’s a few bits I could strip off it to sell. Then there’s the option of a replacement bike with hydraulic discs which would be great for winter.

Yeh I know repairing is the cheaper option but as always a replacement has been on my mind for a while.

I did use cable liners but these wear through too.

amedias
    Free Member

I did use cable liners but these wear through too.

then might I suggest you check more regularly on your new bike 😉

Yeh I know repairing is the cheaper option but as always a replacement has been on my mind for a while.

Then it’s new bike time! you’ve already made your mind up 🙂

iainc

Given the miles you do in a year, which is more than most do in a decade, I reckon you deserve a shiny new bike !!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Well a new one would last me the rest of my commuting to work days

But I’d miss Jake, it’s a bit of an institution – ‘ah you’re the guy with the green bike’ 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘I killed my winter commuter today’ is closed to new replies.