Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • I keep snapping chains :-( and fear for my Nuts
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Changed cranks a little while back from truvativ SRAM to SHIMANO M770,
    Not sure if that is the problem or a chainline thing (pitch pro)but snapped a chain twice so put a new chain on with a 3 month old cassette ( runs ok apart from granny and 2) WTF
    So anyhow riding yesterday and the SRAM link pops open whilst climbing! WTF again!
    Starting to not trust the chain set in fear of it snapping and killing myself!
    Any ideas people of STW

jonba
    Free Member

Badly set up gears.

If you can’t get the full rang on the casette it needs to be sorted.

The park tools website has a really easy guide to follow.

Powerlink thing is wierd, given they can be a right PITA to open normally.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I suspect the powerlink is either badly worn or not fully engaged if it popped open

charliedontsurf

Sounds like a thrashed chain and dodgy quicklink…..

Gear change early and not under load, take the strain off the chain when shifting.

As soon as a chain snaps, repair it to get home and then replace. The writing is on the wall once they fail the first time.

I think of the quick link as the weakest link, so on single speeds (where the loads are greater) I just rejoin the chain.

Hope this helps.

robbo
    Free Member

When you say ‘ runs ok apart from granny an 2’ do you mean the chain won’t go onto those cogs? If so your chain sounds too short. Are the new and old chainsaws same teeth size? How did you measure the chain?

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Runs fine on all gears just jumps/slips a little on the granny ring and number 2, 1,3-9 are fine(strange)
    I put new bearings in the lower chain guide and cannot remember if the angled bit of the roller faces away or to the bike,very much doubt if that’s got anything todo with the chain snapping tho.
    The power link is just weird because 1 end was still connected and the other end opened up.

epicyclo

I don’t know if it’s a problem these days, but a few years back I couldn’t keep a SRAM chain in one piece for long so I stopped using them (hence no current knowledge).

That was on a singlespeed and I now use KMC’s good quality chains.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘I keep snapping chains :-( and fear for my Nuts’ is closed to new replies.