Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I keep on looking at going back to ALU wheels from carbon, silly?
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

Built up a set of carbon wheels when i was going through a “everything has to be as light as possible phase”, built up some LB 35mm rims with some cx-ray imitations, got what i wanted, killed near enough 400g. They do feel light and fast, noticed the precision and stiffness right away. So as a fast, light set of wheel they’re excellent.

However…… I swear i can feel/hear them resonating horribly on hucks to flat and feel “pingy” rather than grippy and conforming.

I’m believing at the moment I should sod the weight, go back to burly alu and the ride will be more forgiving.

Am I thinking BS?

slowboydickie

Are you on a hardtail? I would not run carbon rims on a hardcore hardtail, I hear the rims ringing on the occasional root or rock.

Trimix
    Free Member

The sound shouldn’t affect your ride, but how they feel may. Have you tired different pressures / tyres ?

You could get ally rims that are just as light.

njee20
    Free Member

Earplugs would be cheaper.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Every week, someone gives me a new reason to be smug about never upgrading my aluminium rims…

🙂

Trimix
    Free Member

Get a fat bike with carbon rims (that’s pimped on two levels) – the tyre noise will drown out any rim resonance 🙂

Northwind

Mine don’t do any of those things. Spoke tension/construction issue? They sound weirdly different with rock strikes, clonk instead of bong, but that’s about the only sound difference I can think of

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had lots of carbon wheels, I broke lots of carbon wheels. I no longer have carbon wheels.

My bike rides nicer with ‘softer’ wheels, easier to hold a line, doesn’t seem to get unsettled mid corner & holding off camber sections is noticeably easier.

The icing on the cake at the end of the year for me will be if I haven’t broken any rims.

In terms of riding speed, I’m not going any slower, going from a fashionably wide 30mm ID rim to a 23mm rim. No loss of grip either.

tom.nash

What wheel size & hub spacing…? Maybe interested in taking them off your hands if you do 😆

Rubber_Buccaneer

Carbon rims are shit. I will give you £30 for them and I’m doing you a favour 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘I keep on looking at going back to ALU wheels from carbon, silly?’ is closed to new replies.