• This topic has 41 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • I just killed a hornet, will I die?
  • flashinthepan
    Free Member

Should I prepare for swarm of them out for revenge?

simondbarnes

I hope so

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is a wasp, but the basic anatomy is identical.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Since you lived to post, no. If you’d been near a nest you might not have got that far.

bearnecessities

I ended up spoon-feeding the most stupid bee imaginable back to life an hour ago, so hopefully balance is restored.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I just killed a hornet, will I die?

not till its mates find you

I ended up spoon-feeding the most stupid bee imaginable back to life an hour ago, so hopefully balance is restored.

is that heroin

piemonster

*high fives bear*

Good lad!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a hornet, do you get them in Scotland?

Cougar

This is a wasp, but the basic anatomy is identical.

Title aside, that looks more like a hornet to me. AIUI, a hornet is essentially a wasp cross-bred with Kim Kardashian.

maccruiskeen

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a hornet, do you get them in Scotland?

There was one in a warehouse in Livingstone once, apparently.

I’ve only ever seen a dead one that a flatmate used to keep in a matchbox. You’d definitely know if you’d seen one. Apart from being bigger they’re markings are very clear and bright and sharply defined – thats what makes CFH’s picture look like a hornet – they look like a wasp drawn by a graphic designer – or perhaps a product designer – they look like they’ve been made from shiny vac-form. People will see what they think are hornets at this time of year but its just bigger wasps – queens coming out of hibernation looking for somewhere to nest.

toppers3933
    Free Member

There was one in my workshop a couple of years ago. Huge great big thing. Really noisy and there was no way you could mistake it as a log wasp. More like a small bird. It got caught in some spiders web and started stinging the window it was next to. I managed to catch it and get it outside eventually but I’d got a massive coat and gloves on.

bails

Pretty sure we had a hornet in our garden last year. It flew past me, then landed on the wall and started looking at a hole in the mortar. I went to get the ant killer powder to try stop them from making a nest there but when I came back out with it it had gone.

Forgot about it until I went to get the washing in. Grabbed a shirt to get it off the line and felt something hard under my finger. Jumped back and it fell to the floor.

This was after I smooshed it:

It was at least as long as the “Oyster” on the card next to it when it was unfurled.

daftvader
    Free Member

hornets and wasps are brilliant! there someone has to bee on their side!

flashinthepan
    Free Member

That looks pretty much like what I killed earlier.

I’d say about 40mm long. It was very sluggish – presumably it had just woken up?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Rare to get them that far north, but they are spreading. Not a huge problem in the great scheme of things but allergy kills a few people in Japan each year (then again, wasp allergy kills people in the UK anyway).

I was stung by one once and my whole arm swelled up from hand to shoulder, couldn’t do much with it for a couple of days though no long-term harm and it wasn’t that painful really, just like a hot nail for a few hours. That was the medium-sized yellow bugger not the humungous biggest in the world bugger. Definitely not something you’d want nesting around your house in either style.

leffeboy

bear has made mr and mrs leffe happy

bearnecessities

Waves to you and Mrs Leffe.

You have no idea how weird and desperate shit got 😀

Still, it lived and flew off happy, so all good.

daftvader
    Free Member

if you need to revive bees, use runny hunny

joat

Hornets have a Northern limit to their success, they take longer to mature than wasps, so the shortening warmer seasons the further north you go affect its viability.
    They don’t seem as aggressive as wasps, well they didn’t when I put a chainsaw through their proverbial hornets’ nest.

bearnecessities

if you need to revive bees, use runny hunny

Absolutely right for anyone googling. In absence of that (as I was) 2 tsp of sugar to 1tsp of water.

Put enough for it to sit in, without drowning. Or, shove its furry mush in blackberry jam juice.

Be warned, if it’s as retarded as this one, you will literally need to hold the spoon to it so it takes it.

CountZero

There’s an invasive species of hornet that raid beehives, but the regular European hornet and Yellowjackets or common wasps are really useful at keeping down the sort of bugs that cause problems with crops, etc.

daftvader
    Free Member

its the Japanese ones that empty bee hives. the Japanese bees swarm the hornets which overheats them and kills them. the european bees don’t know this so have no defence

maccruiskeen

Definitely not something you’d want nesting around your house

I saw a couple on TV a few years back who saw a queen hornet come into their bedroom looking to nest and for some reason thought it would be ‘interesting’. So they let it get on with it and it built a nest in the pelmet of the curtains. They carried on using the room – keeping the window ajar and just not switching the light on when they came to bed so as not to disturb them. The hornets shredded the curtains and stripped the wallpaper to build their nest and seemingly they all got on like a house on fire.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

They are blimmin aggressive….I had one chase me round a garden, when I was replacing some guttering. It jabbed me in the head twice and that sent me bandy for about an hour. I then togged up in every bit of random clothing in the van, covered up all the exposed bits with gaffer tape, and went after them with a lighter and a can of duck oil.

Oily flame thrower equaliser!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

That wooded section of the allander/ kelvin walkway, between the stables and the A879 (Glasgow) seems to harbour a few each summer.

timba
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

That wooded section of the allander/ kelvin walkway, between the stables and the A879 (Glasgow) seems to harbour a few each summer.

Are you sure you’re not seeing Wood Wasps? Plenty of those around that part of the world. They’re big ( bigger than hornets) and very noisy in flight – almost clattery. The seem to set off every buried primitive fight or flight instinct too but they’re actually totally benign and don’t have a sting.

I get them at my workshop – they have a crafty habit of alighting on my should – just at the very edge of my peripheral vision and to glimpse of yellow and black sets off a massive involuntary attack of the screaming abdabs.

luket

We see them at some point most years. We live in a village in Devon and I read that they’re more common here than elsewhere in the U.K. The ones we get are like those pictured above. I’d say less distinct black/yellow colour than a wasp. More brown/yellow. Maybe 40mm long at full stretch. As a general rule i believe the ones we get are much less aggressive than wasps (so I think more than one species is being talked about above) but you wouldn’t want to go near a nest once the season gets going.

One landed on my neck in spring when I was half asleep in the sofa with a 5 month old under my arm. Not realising what it was I just picked it up in my hand and dropped it on the floor. Scared the hell out of me afterwards.

Turned out it was building a nest in our shed so I felt I had to kill the nest with a baby in the house. I think it would’ve been a queen.

pondo

There’s a big wasp in our garage, either too stupid to find the door or I guess potentially a queen looking for somewhere to nest. Don’t really want her in there, but I don’t want to kill her. Any tips for trapping and rehoming?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

We’ve had hornets in the house. Big brownish buggers. Not noticeably more or less aggressive vs wasps.

Don’t really want her in there, but I don’t want to kill her. Any tips for trapping and rehoming?

Is it even possible to rehome wasps? I think most wasp removal knowledge is more in the direction of flaming insect death.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I had a wood wasp land on mein my garden mid mattock swing last year christ i shat myself.

maccruiskeen

Don’t really want her in there,

They can read

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v9zGQShoCQ[/video]

T1000
    Free Member

If you want to keep wasps away, hang up a fake wasps nest. They are very territorial and will stay away

pondo

Wicked! Cheers folks. 🙂

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

@maccruisken

I’m pretty sure it wasn’t a woodwasp. I’m fairly familiar with them (skinny and no mistaking the barb)

Pretty sure it wasn’t a horsefly or clegg,

I pedalled frantically anyway.

My theory is that they’re attracted to horses for some reason…maybe the horse manure is like ready-mixed concrete?

Or maybe it was something that escaped from the science centre:)

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Btw,

Why do wasps appear as soon as you’ve unwrapped an ice-lolly?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

If you want to keep wasps away, hang up a fake wasps nest. They are very territorial and will stay away

Last year our neighbours had five individual nests in their house. Or was it six, I forget. They had an exterminator in to do the first batch and I stuck powder on the last one
    which he missed (on account of the amount of waspy traffic) while I was doing two in our eaves.

Wasps really don’t care if there is another nest right next door to them.

CountZero

Btw,

‘Cos it’s sweet and sugary and they like sweet and sugary. Doesn’t take a degree in entomology to work out.

maccruiskeen

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

funkmasterp

Give me the ice lolly

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘I just killed a hornet, will I die?’ is closed to new replies.