Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I just cant get rid of grinding noise on SLX disc brake
  • crazant
    Free Member

Sorry to ask but I have tried everything, thought it was a leaking caliper so got a new one last week, put new pads in went for a ride first half hour fine then started squealing and grabbing…
    Changed rotor for 160 (from 180) and nothing …Thought after trying:
    2 or 3 sets of pads
    new caliper
    that i would ditch the resin pad only disc and bought a new one, fitted last night not rubbing or anything but even in the house after a quick blast outside its grabbing and grinding and making a right noise…

I have nothing left to try, please help me sort this its stopping me riding the bike..

I keep thinking just get some new discs but then i read the reviews and SLX keep coming up good so i’m not sure what to do…

Thanks for any help…
    Anthony

walla24
    Free Member

what do you mean by grabbing?

dantsw13

Rotor rubbing on adapter/bolt?

crazant
    Free Member

No its clear of the caliper not touching at all , its hard to describe , when i squeeze brake and push bike ( when inside house) the brake grabs the disc and makes a horrible grinding metal on metal noise, tried different pads , rotors etc etc, was fine for ages when i got the bike but just cant get this sussed….

scaredypants

is it fouling the top of the rotor ?
    try a couple of thin washers under the brake

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is the rotor edge catching on the calliper? ie the calliper is slightly too low or rotor too large?

EDIT – beaten by 45 seconds.

amedias
    Free Member

Is the calliper definitely spaced correctly and both pistons moving freely and not flexing the disc into the calliper housing instead of the pad?

Also, check the pad springs not rubbing

EDIT – comment below posted at same time!

rondo101
    Free Member

Pad spring installed correctly?

crazant
    Free Member

Might be an idea I’ll check, it is that kind of noise almost like when a car brake pad has run right down, Why would it start to do it 5 miles into a ride though ?

Thanks for the ideas :~)

mattrgee
    Free Member

A picture would help.

Bruce

I had some Deore disks on my work bike. When they were first fitted using an old and possibly contaminated disc, the brake would howl and judder and not work effectively. If you cleaned the disc it got a little better but took quite a long time to settle down and was then fine.
    Could it be something like this?

excitable1
    Free Member

Are you sure both pistons are moving equally and not sticking. Take the pads out and gently pump the brake lever a few times to see if you’ve got equal movement both forwards and back in both pistons.

Sounds to me that you could have a sticky piston possibly caused by some dirt round the edge of the piston and the piston housing so the pad isn’t moving back after you’ve used the brake a few times causing the pad to rub on the disc and make the noise.

A clean with white spirit and a careful lube with a silicone lube round the piston edges with an ear bud should sort it…. but don’t make the mistake I made of over pumping your brake and forcing the piston out on to the floor !

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m thinking pad spring or it could just be the pads

On my current pads I did about 130km on then they started feel really rough and making noise. However I could see there was loads left on them so I kept using them and now about 150km further on I have completely forgot they were feeling a bit rough.

crazant
    Free Member

New pads , also tried 3 rotors with same symptoms , 2 different calipers as well, i’ll try to take a video tonight….

Thanks all

wwaswas

given what you’ve done to date I’d take it to a shop and get it looked at.

schnor
    Free Member

crazant – Member

It is that kind of noise almost like when a car brake pad has run right down

I had exactly the same problem with some new Deores last year. Couldn’t figure it out either (although only swapped pads / adaptor), eventually it got better, but is still slightly gritty / metallic under heavy braking. Not much use though, sorry 😐

bikeneil
    Free Member

Shimano rotors only seem to like shimano pads ime

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I just cant get rid of grinding noise on SLX disc brake’ is closed to new replies.