Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • I just can't do my work…
  • Joe

Eugh. Ive been mulling over an editing project I have for WEEK’s now and just can’t stimulate myself to start it. It should take me three days.

I’ve been sitting here for about two hours now and haven’t even opened Final Cut. I have never dreaded a piece of work like this in my life. Whats wrong with me. I just can’t be arsed. Eugh. Argh.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

story of my life… 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought this was normal 😀

muckytee
    Free Member

+1 hungry monkey

Just break it down into small pieces and reward yourself (chocolate/cake/wnk/new shiny stuff) for managing to at lease complete that small bit. A bit every day and you’ll get there.

rocketman
    Free Member

Same here

My mind is miles away on a bike

ART

It’s normal! 🙂 Just start it, get going, stay with it long enough to get over the ‘it’s gonna take ages I’m never gonna finish it, I hate this, why did I even get into it/ accept this work’ hump and then go with it a little bit longer. That should be enough … then see reward things up there ^^^^ 😀

scu98rkr
    Free Member

pretty normal for me too.

You know when your a kid and for some strange reason you decide to eat exactly the same cereal or sandwiches for weeks on end. Then one day your body just says no this is bad for you, you need to eat something else ! Then, even the smell of the food you used to really like makes you feel sick ?

That the feeling I get every morning, its like my body saying no you need to do something else ! Doing the same thing everyday is making you ill !

muckytee
    Free Member

You know when your a kid and for some strange reason you decide to eat exactly the same cereal or sandwiches for weeks on end. Then one day your body just says no this is bad for you, you need to eat something else ! Then even the smell of the food you used to really like make you feel sick ?

I have that with greggs cheese and bacon wraps, used to love them. Just thinking about them makes me wince now though.

edd

scu98rkr – Good analogy.

Joe – Sounds like every day for me…

Joe

Really…so this is normal for some of you guys?!

I hate myself. I feel like i’m ruining my life; i could have had a two week holiday abroad, but instead i’ve just sat rolling about in my shed come office. I think it comes down to the fact my pipe line is pretty shit for next month…

Steve77
    Free Member

That’s how I feel. I’ve messed about all day in the office and will have to work late now. I could have done something properly fun or even just gone to the movies

geetee1972
    Free Member

At least you’re among friends here.

maccruiskeen

If there was a solution to this kind of procrastination STW would vanish is a puff of smoke

br
    Free Member

Disconnect the Internet, and MTFU.

Oh, and get some kids (a bit rude to assume you’ve none, but that’s never stopped me before :oops:) – so you can focus a bit more on lifes’ responsibilities.

FuzzyWuzzy

I think the vast majority of the forum dwellers are master procrastinators, at least those of us who only come here 9am-6pm…
    I have a few post-it notes as reminders to do something work-related on my keyboard that have faded from age (years) yet are still outstanding 🙁

maccruiskeen

While you’re procastinating Joe – you can answer a final cut pro question for me – in the viewer slug theres two cyan rectangles. I know they indicate safe zones outside which the image might get cropped in playback on different screen formats. But…. why are there two boxes? In what circumstances would a detail get cropped if its outside the inner box but inside the outer box?

Joe

One is a title safe zone and one is an action safe zone for other stuff.

So you should keep your titles within the title safe area.

zzzz…final cut…zzzz

Joe

….you’ll also see short lines that poke inwards for those rectangles. Those are there to tell you what is title safe for a HD to SD downconversion for broadcast…but in the web world nobody gives a shit anyway…so ignore it unless you are boring.

user-removed
    Free Member

Last time someone posted this question, several big hitters immediately gathered and set about convincing the poor chap that he was clinically depressed. I thought it was a bit strong at the time…

Joe, if it’s any consolation, I feel exactly the same way about one wedding and two portrait shoots sitting on my hard drive. I started editing the wedding on Friday and just can’t seem to muster up the energy to go near Lightroom today. House is nice and clean though, and the dog’s had a grand walk 🙂

toby1

By this time Saturday I’d been up and down Snowdon (on foot not a bike) today I’ve not even been up and the office stairs 🙁

Kryton57

geetee1972 – Member
    At least you’re among friends here.

Lol.and er, +1

maccruiskeen

Ta Joe, I’ve just used my procastination to exploit your procastination to get my gf past a sticking point she was procastinating about – she can now do the 5 minutes works required to get a job off the client and invoice. Cool and the gang

I should be writing a tender document for a project for the Common Wealth games but the ‘Tender Portal’ is a like falling through a hole in the internet into 1995. Its garbage, wasted most of the day trying to use an XLS file I’m supposed to download which formats my tender so it can be uploaded through their portal. The XLS file only contains instructions not to deviate from the XLS file formatting…. and nothing else. Finally had notification from the OC that I can just ignore all that and send them any old PDF. Nice to be able to get started on in now its near the end of the working day.

I think with some jobs you just need the time-pressure. My work is very deadline driven, usually clients come to me when the deadline has already sort of passed – calls on friday evenings for jobs that’ll be on camera on monday morning – ‘we’ll have the signed off drawings for you sometime over the weekend’

Or ‘I know its last minute do you have time to do this before x ?’ ‘Yes? cool while your at it can we have this, this and this as well please’

Without that time pressure I really struggle to get things moving – the more time I have to do something (and the more I’d appreciate the time to enjoy and finesse something) the harder it is to get it going.

I think with editing theres a hump to get over getting all the material in. Once its a live project and you are amongst it then you are editting in your head whether you are infront of FCP or not, but before that its just a heap of stuff thats unknown and half forgotten.

Just play the stuff in and watch it as it goes in, but don’t worry too much about what you’re going to do with it

chakaping
    Free Member

Couldn’t you have done whatever job it is in the time it took you to type all that?

Edit: I suppose that’s your point though. I have some painful invoicing I need to do involving a large corporation’s outsourced accounts system which I can’t even pretend to understand enopugh to explain.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think you are missing the point chapaking.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes Al – I thought I was a pretty handuy procrastinator, but I’ve got to take my hat off to some of you guys.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

This thread motivated me to do my VAT returns, thanks OP!

CountZero

If there was a solution to this kind of procrastination STW would vanish is a puff of smoke

If procrastination were an Olympic event, STW could field an entire team.
    I’m a master at it, so I’m in with a medal placing… 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘I just can't do my work…’ is closed to new replies.