Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • I just bought an OS map, an actual paper map! Anyone else not do 'devices'?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My phone is a PAYG cheapie, I’ve got Strava on it but little else. I’ve got an Ipad that I can barely use, but I’ve just replaced a paper map & keep looking at it! I have a Garmin Etrex that I got for the sole purpose of giving me a grid reference while I have a map on me. I don’t have a clue about GPX files either!
    Am I one of the last of a dying breed or is anyone else the same? 😐

piemonster

Devices, not since it fell of the bike no!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Love paper maps, the battery never runs out and you don’t have to scroll around to find things.

footflaps

I always carry paper maps as a backup, but mainly use the OS App on my iPhone when in the hills.

darrell
    Free Member

another one here

moose
    Free Member

Nope, I get them from work. I can sort people if they want some.

ton

1 map? got a box with about 70 in.
    but i have managed to load the Jennride route to my garmin. i am now a IT god……. 😆

BobaFatt
    Free Member

every time I look at my phone I yearn for a simpler time…….but not enough to make the leap and ditch it for a cheapie – FOMO and all that

scotroutes

Maps are fine if you’re going on short rides.

towzer

Maps(lots) and a satmap on bike. Happiness is a new map, a highlighter and a cup of tea…….

Drac

Use apps but love paper ones too.

Moses I’m doing another charity challenge walk this year and some maps would be great for that for those taking part.

mattbee

I tend to use paper maps for planning routes and transpose onto electronic to navigate on the bike. If I’m somewhere I don’t know that we’ll I’ll usually take the paper map & a compass.
    I do have a groovy Splashmaps cloth printed map of the Isle of Purbeck with all the bridleways pre highlighted on it that I think I got from CTBM.

kcal

depends what you mean by short 🙂

Like ton I have a stack of paper maps and they get utilised heavily in route preparation, and get taken along as backup – my GPS as above takes a lot of scrolling to get the layout and I dislike that.

Heavily used maps – like 36, 43 and 41 – have been upgraded to weather proof ones 🙂

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

1 map? got a box with about 70 in.

Happy birthday ****! 😆

I’ve got boxful as well but no 99 was fubared!

Maps are fine if you’re going on short rides.

You never done any long rides without OS maps then Col? 😉

scotroutes

Not looong rides, no. I much prefer a GPS. I have the whole of the UK at 1:50K and 1:25K plus a substantial area on Open Street Mapping, all on my GPS.

CountZero

Love paper maps, the battery never runs out and you don’t have to scroll around to find things

But you could run out of map…
    I’ve got the whole of the UK as 1:50k with selected 1:25k on my phone and pad, side loaded from the Viewranger DVD I bought when I had a Nokia N95.
    When a friend comes home from her job as a YH hostel deputy manager we often sit in the pub going over places she walks up in the Lakes, or anywhere else she’s been in the UK, with the ability to be able to zoom into areas to see detail better.
    Haven’t bought a paper map in, what, fifteen years or so, I guess.

jonba
    Free Member

I like maps but tend to plot on my PC. Massive monitor and the ability to scroll across all of the UK and switch between map type is a real bonus.

Things like where’s the path help provide much more detail by comparing satellite images and OS side by side.

redmex
    Free Member

I do like paper os maps but never let anyone else use them as they get abused and folded back the wrong way new creases everywhere i don’t want
    My favourite maps are Bartholomew half inch nice shades instead of squigly contour lines everywhere there’s a hill

rascal
    Free Member

Paper over digital every time!

slowoldman

Paper maps user here. I have pretty basic mapping on my phone but there is no way I would stick it on the handlebars, oops, cockpit.

devash
    Free Member

I do both. I use Garmin Basecamp and my Etrex 20 to plan and follow rides but I usually consult the 1:25,000 OS map to confirm routes / bridleways before, and I always carry the OS map as backup.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I use both, paper map and compass to fanny about with, showing off at what a fantastic navigator I am and living in the past. Then get my phone out when I haven’t got a clue where I actually am.

ART

Paper maps here too – I just like them, that & I’m rubbish with tech.

scotroutes

I love paper maps too. I read them like a book – trying to spot interesting features etc. I’ve a stack of brand new Landrangers that are about to be the wallpaper for my study. But for actually using while out and about, nah.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I always print out a paper map and carry a compass as a back up but I doubt I’ve needed to use the printed map for 3 or 4 years. Bike rides are mapped onto the garmin before I go and walking routes are either read directly off my phone or from a handheld GPS if I’m being cautious about battery life.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

all on my GPS.

The question was Dear Colin, ‘anyone else NOT do devices’ 😉

fathomer

Walking, always use a paper map, had two delivered today as it happens, OL4 & OL6.

Biking, if I don’t know the area I take the map as a backup to the gps.

mattsccm
    Free Member

On foot always a map. Y2K Etrex at the bottom of the sack but never used.
    Bike. 1 day rides if pre planned on the Garmin but a totally new area sees paper in my back pocket. Always buy a new OS when I go to a new area. Got all of Wales at 1:25,000 and All of Scotland at 1:50,000 plus about half of England.
    I have a really handy double sided map of the Uk showing every OS map and have great pleasure in colouring each map in as I buy it.

mactheknife

Paper maps are a thing of beauty, they totally fascinate me. But for on the bike I have viewranger and my Garmin 810.

Using devices for navigation is all well and good but if you don’t use those old fangled navigation skills reasonably regularly then they definitely fade. I guess it really depends on where you ride and how you think you will need this skills.

Sanny
    Free Member

Me!

I have a Garmin which I only use for confirming coordinates on my paper map!

My phone is definitely not smart!

I also never post on Facebook, I don’t do strava and have zero interest in instagram!

You are not alone my friend. 8)

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Where they are available I prefer Harveys to OS: printed on plastic and without distractions like county boundaries. And I have a secondhand basic Garmin to check grid refs and show miles covered, if I’ve remembered it.

And a compass: I wouldn’t be without that.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have a full set of 1.50000 most old 1 inch maps and about 60 1.25000

chrisdw
    Free Member

I’ve got backcountry nav on my phone. But thats mostly as a just in case or a quick look up of something as i think of it. Will always take a paper map in the hills. Never even considered relying totally on the phone.

pirahna
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of paper OS maps of my local area that have a few years worth of work in them. Every byway, bridleway and rideable track is highlighted. They’re great for route planning but I hate wasting time standing on the side of a track looking at a map working out which route I meant to take. I tend to plot stuff on Basecamp and follow the GPS, it’s a lot easier.

hammerite
    Free Member

Paper map lover here too. I used to have to share some of my OS maps with my class when they’re learning about mapping. I practically forced the dirty handed tykes to wear white gloves before they handled them.

Thankfully I’ve just acquired a stack of local OS maps from a school that has just closed down so the kids can fill their boots next month when that comes up again in our topic.

Poopscoop

I love OS maps, a thing of beauty in my opinion.

Anyone ever see the BBC 4 documentary on their history?

That said,I use digital too. Both OS and others.

Even on digital I love OS but I think im right in saying other mapping types scale better without losing their detail? Vector maps or something? Long time since I bothered to look into all this. 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

My friends think I’m old fashioned for having a road atlas in the car but I feel better for having it there.

Spin
    Free Member

Seems like a good excuse to post this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCp-JSVSNZM[/video]

bodgy
    Free Member

Map and compass for me, all the way.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Paper maps are wonderful, an essential tool for a real adventure, a backup even on a simple ride / walk, a source of excitement while planning an adventure and a souvenir if a past trip 🙂

I always have a paper map inc custom ones but I do use tech too, navigation apps and an online OS Maps subscription.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘I just bought an OS map, an actual paper map! Anyone else not do 'devices'?’ is closed to new replies.